Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2015 NBA Offseason + Draft

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

Chris Smoove ‏@Chris_Smoove 4m4 minutes ago
    DeAndre Jordan left the Clippers because of those new jerseys lol

For sure this is what happened haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

Felexicon wrote: »
    LMA = La Marcus Aldridge?
    He is not going to Phoenix. He will sign with the Spurs unless the supposed second meeting with the Lakers makes some difference.

You're probably right, but Phx cleared space specifically for him. Who knows!

DAJ = DeAndre Jordan?
    He is going to get enough to remain a Clipper. Doc Rivers is too smart to let him go anywhere.

He's an UFA, he can go where he pleases. As it stands, it looks pretty certain that he'll be heading to Dallas as I stated.

What will Rondo offer your team offensively? He is a below average point guard athletically, a patchy shooter and is coming off his worst season ever.
    Also suggesting that a player might be swayed by a new stadium is laughable.

Offense is the last thing we need. We're always pretty good offensively and are **** defensively. Cousins has become a huge plus defensively, but he's pretty much the only one. Rondo never relied on athleticism, he's always been an awful shooter. Those two things we know. Last season is why he's a risk. But on a one year contract, he pretty much has to get his act together or he'll never get another big contract. From our perspective, you have to take the risk that he'll return to elite distributor/defender.

On another small note, Kings signed Belinelli to 3 yrs 19 mil. That's a solid signing in this market, with the cap soon to explode. Spot starter/solid bench player who comes from a winning culture. Watch national media twist this though since we're the joke of the day (just for clarification, I've hated 90% of Kings moves over the last year, I'm not some biased Kings fans. Pete D'Alessandro set us back years and somehow came out of this smelling like roses due to leaking all kinds of BS to the media, which the public happily swallowed).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭ Miller Millions Nanny

you should probably look elsewhere for a point guard so rondo did rely a lot on his athleticism and he's been poor defensively for a while now. having said that i know boogie has said a few times that he's a big rondo fan so perhaps that could win ye brownie points with him

you should probably look elsewhere for a point guard so rondo did rely a lot on his athleticism and he's been poor defensively for a while now. having said that i know boogie has said a few times that he's a big rondo fan so perhaps that could win ye brownie points with him

Rondo's always relied on craftiness/quickness rather than raw athleticism in the way that it's come to be known. I don't think he's lost much to be honest. He was just toxic last year, which is the risk there. I'm not downplaying that. But there's no doubting his talent. And what have we to lose?

Collison was pretty stellar for us btw before going down with injury. PG isn't really a big need, backup PG is. Rondo would give us the option of a two PG set up which Karl loves to use. But we don't necessarily need a starting PG. If Rondo repeats last year, then Collison is already a better option. Worth a shot though.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Some strange moves today but hey, this is the NBA!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

I've criticised the Kings before but this is a good deal. Worst case scenario for the Kings it is only a one year deal. Even if Rondo balls out of his mind and if he does he'll find another suitor, they will get one of the top PGs playing at a high level for them.

WOW.

DeAndre Jordan shuns the Clippers and takes less money to go to Dallas. Would love to know the real story behind this one. Something had to be seriously wrong in Clipperland for him to do this.

WOW.

DeAndre Jordan shuns the Clippers and takes less money to go to Dallas. Would love to know the real story behind this one. Something had to be seriously wrong in Clipperland for him to do this.

its possible hes just sick of being the 3rd man he has said a few times that he can be an offensive weapon so i guess this is his chance to show it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

WOW.

I was wondering why he jumped too...

Sources: Jordan 'might leave' in free agency as tensions grow with Paul

This leaves the Clippers with some problems...

"The tallest player the Clippers have under contract is Griffin. Let's repeat this sentence: The tallest player the Clippers have under contract is Blake Griffin."

The Clippers are screwed without DeAndre Jordan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

WOW.

Apparently CP3 was in Puerto Rico with Lebron and Melo and didn't bother to try and convince DJ to resign. Kind of alludes to the rumoured friction between the guys in the past few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,980 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

best part of the nba calendar after playoffs is the trades.
    Aldridge should really pick Spurs in my opinion, when you got Duncan and Pop sitting down with you, it must be an impressive pitch.

best part of the nba calendar after playoffs is the trades.
    Aldridge should really pick Spurs in my opinion, when you got Duncan and Pop sitting down with you, it must be an impressive pitch.

I may be wrong on this but I thought I read a few years ago that Pop doesn't "do" recruiting and his attitude is pretty much "you see what we have here, you either want to be a part of it or you don't".

If that is true it just proves yet again what a class act he is.

Probably better for the Clippers in terms of cap space for next year.

Having a C who's such a liability from the line is a massive negative on offence.
    They're probably in trouble for the season alright but they might be able to add a better piece next year or even add a good bench this year.
    Go for quantity over quality as the bench was the problem last year.

Another problem last year was the compete reliance on one player to rebound, unacceptable to be so light on big men.
    I think there could be a light at the end of this times tunnel... DJ wasn't a max player for me when he cant hit 50%... Embarrassing really.

Have to laugh at him wanting to be an offensive option, he has no touch, no footwork and can't score if he's fouled.

The Clippers defensively in particular will take a dive without Jordan's presence in the paint. It's not so much about replacing the boards they'll lose without him, it's the shots he blocks and the shots he changes by just being there.

Doc was heavily praised in the past for his man management but you have to question how he has allowed this situation come to this point, as well as the Celtics and Ray Allen split.

I can't see how the clippers can replace Jordan right now and that sees them falling hugely next IMO.

Also if Paul had issues with Jordan and as the team captain and leader didn't see they as a unit are significantly weaker without him than with him on the roster and didn't find a way to make it work and bury the hatchet he has to take some of the blame in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Aldridge just abnounced on twitter hes going home to Texas :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Soby wrote: »
    Aldridge just abnounced on twitter hes going home to Texas :)

Cool. Thought they were nearly done after losing in the 1st round of the playoffs, if Duncan didn't come back, but that gives them another lease of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Starting 5 for the Blazers in the Playoffs

Lillard - signed a 5 year, over $120 million deal
    McCollum
    Batum - gone to the Hornets
    Aldridge - gone to the Spurs
    Lopez - gone to the Knicks

They got Henderson and Vonleh from that Batum trade but Portland are really going to struggle out West next season

Kings sign Koufos. That's now Koufos/Rondo/Belinelli signed to good contracts, and WCS drafted. Been a pretty stellar off-season so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Crazy to think Roy Hibbert is only worth a second round draft pick now, 2 years after being an all star

https://twitter.com/mike_bresnahan/status/617504567668805632

Crazy to think Roy Hibbert is only worth a second round draft pick now, 2 years after being an all star

https://twitter.com/mike_bresnahan/status/617504567668805632

Another guy a la D12 (but not as big a waste as D12) who has all the talent but not the desire.

• Advertisement

Look, it goes without saying that I don't like this move. My stance on Hibbert is well-known. I believe that Bird is letting his personal feelings cloud his basketball judgment. I also believe that Hibbert has been a great player for our franchise, one of the building blocks of our team's success a couple years ago and a player that has been unfairly criticised by a significant portion of our fanbase. But what's done is done. I do not intend to argue incessantly about it. If the reports become official and Roy is no longer a member of the team I have no reason to do so. I will forever be grateful for what he did for our team, though. I will never forget moments like these:

Roy Hibbert, I OWE you a big thank you for everything that you have done for the Pacers. You wil always have a place in my heart for your contributions. It sucks to see it all end like this.

It's perfectly clear that Larry Bird has put forth a new plan for our Pacers. Let's see what this plan is about. Let's hope that destroying our defensive identity was worth it in the end. I hope for the best.

You don't have to be perfect and you don't have to lie about your shortcomings. You simply have to accentuate your positives. I absolutely believe that Bird failed to do that. He failed to accentuate Hibbert's positives because in the interview he focused on his shortcomings. We're leaving in a league where JaVale McGee is making $12 Mil and he's still drawing interest as an expiring contract with some value. You cannot convince me that cash, a couple of 2nd round picks, the rights to two players who will probably never come over to the NBA again were a good return for a 2x All-Star.

Bird lost all leverage for a possible Hibbert trade the moment he publicly admitted that he wants Roy gone.

Another guy a la D12 (but not as big a waste as D12) who has all the talent but not the desire.

For the record, there is nothing wrong with Roy's desire. The dude works his arse off. He just can go through these inexplicable funks on the court particularly on the offensive end.

I think Roy will have a very good season for the Lakers. This is a great trade for them.

I don't understand what the hell we're doing. There better be another move coming, and it better not be crap like David 'Burlington Coat Factory' Lee.

NufcNavan wrote: »
    For the record, there is nothing wrong with Roy's desire. The dude works his arse off. He just can go through these inexplicable funks on the court particularly on the offensive end.

I think Roy will have a very good season for the Lakers. This is a great trade for them.

I don't understand what the hell we're doing. There better be another move coming, and it better not be crap like David 'Burlington Coat Factory' Lee.

No, I think it's fair to criticize the desire work ethic of a guy of Hibbert's size for getting as few rebounds per minute (leave points for another discussion) as he did in some games over the last 2 years.

The D12 comparison was too harsh in hindsight so I'll take that back but for all Hibbert's physical talents he has under-delivered.

NufcNavan wrote: »

It's perfectly clear that Larry Bird has put forth a new plan for our Pacers. Let's see what this plan is about. Let's hope that destroying our defensive identity was worth it in the end. I hope for the best.

Bird lost all leverage for a possible Hibbert trade the moment he publicly admitted that he wants Roy gone.

Ok, anyone who reads my posts knows I'm a Celtics fan and Larry will always be the man in most C's fans eyes, but (like a lot of other great former players) I think part of the problem with Bird is he thinks some guys should be able to do some of the things he used to do on court which is frankly ridiculous.

Assuming Aldridge fits comfortably into the Spurs rotation (and I have no reason to believe he won't) it makes the West significantly tougher again next year.

I see the Spurs and GSW being the 1 and 2 threats from this far out (and that's before GS move Lee and regardless of where San An finish 1-8 in the seeding), with the Clippers and Portland (obviously) going backwards as a result of the trades to date. San An will have a pretty strong front line now, with serious threats from 3-5 in Duncan, Leonard and Aldridge. Hard to see them not being one or two even with Pop's 26min limit on players. GS will be better simply from the confidence of being champs.

Knowing how Cuban likes to get busy I trade time I would expect there's more to come for Dallas, the question is who's in or out.

Oklahoma wil be fine if they stay injury free and I suspect the Pelicans will improve marginally.

I suspect we'll still have a few surprises to come yet though. Should be fun.

So the West is likely to get tougher and LeBron and co. will cruise in the East.

The Kings may even have a shot at the Play Offs next year if Rondo gets back to form.

in fairness to bird a lot of people thought he was crazy letting lance go and hes been justified to an extent

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,995 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Anyone looking for a basketball fix could check out the summer league at the moment. Goes on for most of July. 3 games today, kicking off in 20mins. Kaminsky was very impressive for Charlotte yesterday as was Myles Turner for the Pacers.

Anyone looking for a basketball fix could check out the summer league at the moment. Goes on for most of July. 3 games today, kicking off in 20mins. Kaminsky was very impressive for Charlotte yesterday as was Myles Turner for the Pacers.
    I wasn't terribly sold on the pick but Turner looked VERY good in his first Summer League game. Early days but a promising start.
    in fairness to bird a lot of people thought he was crazy letting lance go and hes been justified to an extent
    Except he didn't let him go. Bird offered him pretty much the same contract that the Hornets offered him. Lance wanted to be the big dick on another team and it backfired horribly.
    No, I think it's fair to criticize the desire work ethic of a guy of Hibbert's size for getting as few rebounds per minute (leave points for another discussion) as he did in some games over the last 2 years.

The D12 comparison was too harsh in hindsight so I'll take that back but for all Hibbert's physical talents he has under-delivered.
    I agree that there were games where it was inexcusable to pull down only a couple of rebounds here and there, but overall Roy is an average to good rebounder. Just because he is 7'2 doesn't mean he has to be chairman of the boards. If that were the case then the likes of Hasheem Thabeet would still be in the league.

Roy's best task on rebounding is boxing out the opposite team's bigs allowing the Pacer's wings to grab the rebounds. Check out Lance and PG's rebound numbers in 13/14. They're very high, and Roy was a large reason why we were always a top 5 rebounding team in the league.

Besides, the ideal height to be a very good rebounder is actually 6'9-10 and not over 7ft because typically players are more athletic at that height and have a higher vertical. Roy is a tower of a man, but he is not athletic, and I disagree that he has "under-delivered" based on his physique. The dude couldn't do a push up out of college and he had to work very hard to bulk up. It has allowed him to master the rule of verticality through using his height and girth.
    Ok, anyone who reads my posts knows I'm a Celtics fan and Larry will always be the man in most C's fans eyes, but (like a lot of other great former players) I think part of the problem with Bird is he thinks some guys should be able to do some of the things he used to do on court which is frankly ridiculous.
    Bird for the most part is an excellent director, but he is not without mistakes. The Granger trade for example backfired. He handled the West situation badly and also IMO he has handled the Roy situation badly too. It is flat out disrespectful for us to get peanuts back for Roy, especially when we're a year out of not having his contract anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,596 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

D2D wrote: »
    Starting 5 for the Blazers in the Playoffs

Lillard - signed a 5 year, over $120 million deal
    McCollum
    Batum - gone to the Hornets
    Aldridge - gone to the Spurs
    Lopez - gone to the Knicks

They got Henderson and Vonleh from that Batum trade but Portland are really going to struggle out West next season

2hn97cz.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,596 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Hibbert eh?

kylekorverbadass.gif

Advertisement