Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

bringing a bike from uk

• 14-06-2015 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

hi all,

we,re planning to move to Ireland in the next year. I,m wondering whats the craic with importing a motorcycle from uk? is there an import tax thing? is there an mot/nct type test each year? whats the insurance/road tax like? I,m 42 with a now clean licence & my insurance for an 2006 sportster & a 1985 Honda 750 combined is £300 per year fully comp.
    would it be similar in Ireland?

cheers
    ivan

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

No import tax if you are moving and have owned the bikes for over 6 mths, keep all paperwork for ownership to prove the time owned.
    No NCT or MOT for bikes.
    I would think Insurance would be similar but it depends on many factors best to check by ringing with an assumed name and the address you will be residing in.
    Tax is 88 per annum for sportster and the 1985 Honda will be classic at 26 p/a

• Registered Users Posts: 20 irishivan

Cheers for the reply!!!!

great to here about the import fees or lack of. i suppose its similar for a car or van/jeep. I guess there would be a registration fee?

irishivan wrote: »
    Cheers for the reply!!!!

great to here about the import fees or lack of. i suppose its similar for a car or van/jeep. I guess there would be a registration fee?
    I think the inspection in the NCT centre to get the plates may cost something but not sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

irishivan wrote: »
    Cheers for the reply!!!!

You might only get 1 vehicle without VRT so if you're bringing in a car/van/jeep I'd be looking to get that exempt as the rates for bikes are low.
    This information leaflet outlines the circumstances in which a person coming from abroad to take up residence in Ireland may obtain relief from tax in respect of a motor vehicle brought from abroad as his/her personal property.

I wonder how that works if a married couple move can both bring in a vehicle if its in their name?

• Advertisement
Advertisement