Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Gp scheme for children under 6

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

My practise hasn't decided yet and in my area Leixlip, Celbridge, Maynooth and Kilcock there are only 4 GPs on the list. Bah.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Excellent my GP is there :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭contrary_mary

In my town which has a population of over 30,000 one single solitary GP has registered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Do medical card holders have to register?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

1 of the 10 GPs in my town has registered... Mine hasn't. We have a medical card until March but don't know what we will do after that... I really hope more sign up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Can you sign up to anyone and then switch at a later date if your own GP signs?

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Yay, my GP is on it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭theLuggage

Mine's on it too - online reg done and dusted!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

From what I can see the nearest to me is 50km, none between Bantry and Bishopstown...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

My doc is on the website

But cant access the registration portal, presume has crashed!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I just checked. I attend a two GP practice, one of them is named on the list but the other isn't. I don't really have a preference for either of them as they are both very good. I wonder if its an oversight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭mitresize5

any link for the registration?

mitresize5 wrote: »
    any link for the registration?

Its on the rte.ie website. Cannot copy the link

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

• Registered Users Posts: 15,406 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

The practice we usually attend is not on the list and I suspect they are not likely to go on it either(its in an affluent area).
    There is another practice that is fairly close to here that is on it, can we sign our kids up to that one instead? Never moved practice before so have no idea is that something you have to register to do or what? Tried calling the help line but there is just endless musak playing, presumably they are swamped. Thanks.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

lazygal wrote: »
    I just checked. I attend a two GP practice, one of them is named on the list but the other isn't. I don't really have a preference for either of them as they are both very good. I wonder if its an oversight.

I wondered the same. We've the same situation - although the second doctor only does a few days a week and I'd guess the main doctor is the 'owner' and she just helps out. I did notice another surgery near us has a few different doctors listed from the same surgery but perhaps they work independently of each other or something. Time will tell! Like you I don't mind seeing either doctor anyway so not really a big issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

can i use multiple doctors?

If the one i signed up for isnt available? Can I attend another participating GP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Yes you can change GP to another one that is on the list.

If you have a medical card you don't have to sign up, if you lose your MC you can sign up then.

It's a GP visit card only, so prescriptions still have to be paid for.

January wrote: »
    Yes you can change GP to another one that is on the list.

I don't understand why I have to register with a particular doctor then?

If my children can attend any with the card...

• Advertisement

I don't understand why I have to register with a particular doctor then?

If my children can attend any with the card...

No, your child cannot attend any doctor with the card, you have to sign up to a GP who is participating in the scheme. Your child may only see this doctor for free then.

No, your child cannot attend any doctor with the card, you have to sign up to a GP who is participating in the scheme. Your child may only see this doctor for free then.

so what happens if my doctor isnt around? as per my first question? I just have to pay for another doctor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Yay, thanks for the link! All signed up, our GP was on the list.
    Delighted with that now. :)

so what happens if my doctor isnt around? as per my first question? I just have to pay for another doctor?

Yes, or go to the out of hours doctor once it becomes out of hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

My gp isn't on the list....gutted and surprised! They have a large young family base as they are particularly geared towards maternity services. Obviously they'll lose all those clients now?

My gp isn't on the list....gutted and surprised! They have a large young family base as they are particularly geared towards maternity services. Obviously they'll lose all those clients now?

They might sign up over the coming weeks.

I was surprised that the out of hours doctors are included. It's 60 eur to go to our local one and I assumed you'd still have to pay for that. But was delighted to see that's now free as well. I've two under 6, and while we are lucky to rarely go to the gp it's great peace of mind to know we can bring them now without worrying about the fees.

I don't see how they wouldn't have been included, your own GP works in the out of hours practice. It is done on a rotation, so each GP does a certain number of days or 1 day per month etc. You've probably just never seen your GP working in out of hours because it wasn't their day.

It's like medical cards, you don't have to pay for out of hours GP if you have a medical card.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

sorry, can I just ask about the out of hours one - my GP is a member of DDoc (out of hours service in Dublin) and also in the free Under 6s scheme. Does that mean I can use the card if I have to go to DDoc out of hours, regardless of the fact that I've never seen her there?

• Advertisement

I don't see how they wouldn't have been included, your own GP works in the out of hours practice. It is done on a rotation, so each GP does a certain number of days or 1 day per month etc. You've probably just never seen your GP working in out of hours because it wasn't their day.

It's like medical cards, you don't have to pay for out of hours GP if you have a medical card.

I just always saw that service as more of a 'private' service, although I did know that the gp's all take turns working a shift so I guess it makes sense but I'm definitely pleased about it!
    I didn't know it was free on medical cards, never had one so wasn't sure how it worked.

Advertisement