Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Gp scheme for children under 6

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Just went though my 2 year olds medical receipts for the year so far - four visits and booked in again for tonight so five!!! Looking forward to free!

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭skD13

Supercell wrote: »
    The practice we usually attend is not on the list and I suspect they are not likely to go on it either(its in an affluent area)

I'm trying to figure this out, in my town of approx 20k one sole GP is registered. In the neighbouring town (generally considered "less affluent") 10 GPs have registered. I understand what Leo has done here, some GPs resisted so he said "fine guys, do your own thing and let's leave it to the market to decide". So what I really should be doing is voting with my feet and moving my whole family to a new GP. But the 1 solitary GP in town will surely not be able to cope, and going to the next town is an obvious inconvenience. So I guess my family, and many more in my town, are in a pickle; either move GP, who we like and have built up a relationship with, or just put up! It's a bit of a mess for people in some areas for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

skD13 wrote: »
    I'm trying to figure this out, in my town of approx 20k one sole GP is registered. In the neighbouring town (generally considered "less affluent") 10 GPs have registered. I understand what Leo has done here, some GPs resisted so he said "fine guys, do your own thing and let's leave it to the market to decide". So what I really should be doing is voting with my feet and moving my whole family to a new GP. But the 1 solitary GP in town will surely not be able to cope, and going to the next town is an obvious inconvenience. So I guess my family, and many more in my town, are in a pickle; either move GP, who we like and have built up a relationship with, or just put up! It's a bit of a mess for people in some areas for sure.

Or, people will put pressure on the GP.

I don't think it's got much to do with affluence or not. My GP is in an affluent area, but she is enthusiastic, modern and very up to date. The practice has put in a computerised system for everything, and is extremely efficient. So I'm guessing it's a question of good organisation there that might have something to do with it. Some GP's may not have gotten around to it yet. Some may outright disagree, you'll have to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,406 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

My gp isn't on the list....gutted and surprised! They have a large young family base as they are particularly geared towards maternity services. Obviously they'll lose all those clients now?

Mine neither, went down to another local practice that is on the list and they said they were swamped because of this and are not signing up any more people, really disappointed with our GP practice.
    /edit - Just called my practice and they said that they have decided that they will now go on it :)
    Moral of the story, call your GP even if it's not on the list to see if they are going to register on the scheme before jumping ship! :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

Supercell wrote: »
    Mine neither, went down to another local practice that is on the list and they said they were swamped because of this and are not signing up any more people, really disappointed with our GP practice.

Wow that's ridic. Our gp had a sign up in the waiting room that basically implied they'd be signing up but I guess only time will tell.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

January wrote: »
    Yes, or go to the out of hours doctor once it becomes out of hours.

That's a bit annoying as her family is in Sligo. Our child can spend extensive time out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I'm wondering if my health insurance premiums will come down now for the children. Our only 'claims' in the past four years have been for GP visits, about 2 per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

Site seems to be down at the moment, cant register

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

I'm unsure what to do. Our GP practice isn't on the list. I rang up and they said they hadn't decided but will know in a week or so... Now I'm torn as if I wait the week or so and they don't sign up... I may then be unable to sign with a different GP due to demand and them being overrun by the time the week is out? However, if I just jumped ship now and signed with a different GP I would hopefully get a spot for our family.

I'm happy with our practice... However, I obviously don't want to be paying if I don't have have too! Would you guys wait it out or just try to sign now with a different practice? I have a feeling my current practice do not want to be signing up if I'm honest...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

How many times would you be attending? Personally I''ll stick with ours even if it hasn't signed up because I'm happy with it and outside of scheduled and elective vaccines I've only.had one visit so.the cost is minimal. But if my kids were in and out regularly I'd reconsider.

• Advertisement

lazygal wrote: »
    How many times would you be attending? Personally I''ll stick with ours even if it hasn't signed up because I'm happy with it and outside of scheduled and elective vaccines I've only.had one visit so.the cost is minimal. But if my kids were in and out regularly I'd reconsider.

That's the thing, if it was only once or twice I wouldn't mind. But they've been 4 times each this year already since Xmas! So I'm wondering if I should wait to see if my gp signs up and risk missing out on the scheme altogether?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I heard the minister on the radio yesterday evening and she said that if your GP has not signed up, the HSE is legally obliged to provide you with another GP - although she acknowledged this might be a bit tricky in areas where there was less cover - she didn't want people to have to drive 20 miles to see their GP. But I don't think you'll miss out on the scheme altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Sligo1 wrote: »
    That's the thing, if it was only once or twice I wouldn't mind. But they've been 4 times each this year already since Xmas! So I'm wondering if I should wait to see if my gp signs up and risk missing out on the scheme altogether?

I'd probably call other practices and check your f they're taking new patients. Then once I know they will I'd call your current practice and say if you don't know the situation by x date you'll have to move.

I'd probably call other practices and check your f they're taking new patients. Then once I know they will I'd call your current practice and say if you don't know the situation by x date you'll have to move.

Good idea. L is getting vaccines on Thursday so I will ring a few places in the meantime and if my practice doesn't know by Thursday I think I will just move and avoid the risk. We've spent hundreds on GP visits this year as both of them have bad chests.

I signed up to the only registered gp in my town of 30,000 people. Now if my own gp signs up soon, what would the process be of changing over? My own gp is extremely popular so I imagine there will be a huge influx signing up if they become available. Hope I haven't messed up, am attending them for vaccines and maternity stuff...would suck if I had to move/go to 2 practices.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Just off the phone with the HSE (Medical cards) with some info that might be helpful.

Our doctor is on the list so I have no problem there.
    But we are in the process of a possible move to another town in the area (30km away)

We will need to move GP then and the HSE (Medical Card) confirmed that it is possible to move GP (Re-register) for the under 6 GP Visit card if you require. You need to confirm that the new GP practice can take you as a patient first but I guess this is the case anytime you need to find a new GP.

Also my current GP has confirmed that I need to register with the main GP, but we can see any GP in that practice under the card (maybe different per practice).

Also all out of hours services are coverd country wide (If you are on holidays for example), but not other GPs

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

pwurple wrote: »
    I'm wondering if my health insurance premiums will come down now for the children. Our only 'claims' in the past four years have been for GP visits, about 2 per year.

I am going to move my son to a hospital only plan now only really used the plan with the day to day expenses for gp visits, we have separate dental insurance. Will be paying less all round now. Excellent. And my GP is a participating doctor so happy days.

Does anyone here know if it would be possible to register with a GP on the scheme and then if my own GP decides to register could I change back to them? I was talking with my practice yesterday and they won't know for 2 weeks (ish) if they are going to sign up or not. Am afraid We will miss out if we don't sign up smartly. However, is this a case of once we register with someone we are stuck with them?? Thanks again :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Shouldn't be a problem switching back.

But....people need to ask their practice why they haven't signed up and if they are being told they will know in a few weeks. They need to ask what they will know.
    Is it,
    1. If they are signing up or not.
    2. If their application will be approved if they have already applied.

If they've not signed then the practice should be told you're moving. Seeing patients leave might give them an impetus.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,613 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

We were in with our little one and the doctor at the end explained that he wasn't registering and why. You could tell it was a decision he wasn't entirely comfortable with, especially as a paediatrician, but overall he felt he couldn't.

We won't be switching to one that does. I'd hope that we won't have to bring the little one too often anyway, but even if we do, I'm happy to pay him. He's always looked after my wife and I to an extent I would never expect of a doctor.

I value the relationship with our doctor. Price is what you pay, value is what you get.

That said, if our practice was the previous one we attended to prior to our current GP, I'd switch in a heartbeat. Any of the doctors I attended in that practice seemed more interest in meeting a quote of patients.

• Advertisement

Shouldn't be a problem switching back.

But....people need to ask their practice why they haven't signed up and if they are being told they will know in a few weeks. They need to ask what they will know.
    Is it,
    1. If they are signing up or not.
    2. If their application will be approved if they have already applied.

If they've not signed then the practice should be told you're moving. Seeing patients leave might give them an impetus.

They said they haven't signed up due to some ongoing court case. Also they said that as an areas (dublin 4) the GPs are sticking together and have said none of them will sign up or all of them will sign up and they will all make that decision in the next couple weeks. They also told me that if they do sign they will be taking no extra patients and that our 2 will be included on the scheme.

Sligo1 wrote: »
    They said they haven't signed up due to some ongoing court case. Also they said that as an areas (dublin 4) the GPs are sticking together and have said none of them will sign up or all of them will sign up and they will all make that decision in the next couple weeks. They also told me that if they do sign they will be taking no extra patients and that our 2 will be included on the scheme.

My usual gp is the same, they're awaiting the high court ruling. I did sign up to the only gp in our town who had registered. Since more gps that I've never even heard of have signed up. When you sign up you're given an online account, and once youre on the scheme (ie with a gp) you can switch online seemingly.

My usual gp is the same, they're awaiting the high court ruling. I did sign up to the only gp in our town who had registered. Since more gps that I've never even heard of have signed up. When you sign up you're given an online account, and once youre on the scheme (ie with a gp) you can switch online seemingly.

O that's great news! Thanks very much. I will check it out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

My GP has signed up now. Thank god. I really didn't want to change but if he didn't I would have probably had to. So relieved.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I rarely bring my kids to the doctor between the 4 of them they may have been 10 times,probably less. I want to register them anyway incase we do need it.
    Only 2 local GPs here have signed up so rang our doctor but he is not signing up atm so I registered them at a different practice.

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I rarely bring my kids to the doctor between the 4 of them they may have been 10 time,probably less. I want to register them anyway incase we do need it.
    Only 2 local GPs here have signed up so rang our doctor but he is not signing up atm so I registered them at a different practice.

For the entire 1st year T didn't visit the doctor once! But for whatever reason the last year has been a disaster between the 2 of them :(. My GP is €60 a pop so that's about €600 between the 2 of them for their (10ish) visits the last year :(.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

That is why I am registering ,just in case!

Moonbeam wrote: »
    That is why I am registering ,just in case!

I'd actually love to stay where I am... But it's just such an amount of money isn't it?

yup,I hope we never have to use it or rarely anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

I applied the first day of applications and had a text tonight to say my application was successful and the card would issue soon. So they seem on the ball with that side of things.

Advertisement