Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Italia 90,USA 94 or Korea/Japan 2002... which do you remember more fondly?

• 15-06-2015 12:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭

With the disappointment of the Irish soccer team's result yesterday, I eventually got to thinking about all the famous results and highs they've given us over the years. The pinnacle of International football is undoubtedly the World Cup, it grips the nation from fanatic to non supporter in some way, shape or form. My question is which do you remember with the most fondness. This doesn't necessarily have to be for pure footballing reasons either, in fact, I'm more interested to hear how it affected everyday life, the workplace, the general mood in your household. Maybe you were at one or more of these tournaments. WC 94 was the first one I really remember. Houghton scoring at the Giants Stadium in New York as we beat eventual finalists Italy was surreal and sweet revenge for four years earlier. Also you had Adridges outburst Steve Staunton burning up in the Florida sun. I also recall being terrified when Andres Escobar was shot dead by the Cartel in Colombia follwing his own goal and Maradona being high as a kite! Then with WC 2002 we had the whole Roy Keane vs Mick McCarthy saga which divides the nation and some families. I seem to think Italia 90 is probably the most legendary one as it was our first time at the big dance.

Would love to hear a few of your musings.

Which World Cup do you find most memorable? 68 votes

Italia 90
    0% 0 votes
    USA 94
    70% 48 votes
    Korea/Japan 2002
    29% 20 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Nothing beats Italia '90.....nothing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

Some people here will only barely remember 2002 and that's it. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭MathDebater

Bail that one out yas cunnnce.

Close thread.

kfallon wrote: »

It captured the imagination of a vast amount of children and teenagers alike all over the country at the time with it being our first world cup. USA was virtually followed by the same groups of people id say.

usa 94 was a close second but for me italia 90 wins because personally it introduced me to the game of soccer as a 7 year old. Id spend hours upon hours kicking a ball in the back garden and became absolutely soccer obsessed as a result of our adventure.

Korea/Japan could have been magical but for the whole Keane debacle that erupted.

Some people here will only barely remember 2002 and that's it. :o

And look what they missed out on!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Was only 12 in 2002 remember 2002 a small bit pity we're **** now and won't get to experience anything like that for quite some time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Italia 90 i would say - time of day was nice and convenient so people were about for games, and we went the farthest. There was that first time buzz off it too (even though we had been at the Euros just two years earlier).

Great comments by Charlton at the end of this:

EDIT: also just last week the Indo had a piece on Daniel Timofte, who missed the Romanian penalty that day - well worth a read:

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/italia-90/italia-90-daniel-timofte-tells-packie-bonner-how-he-made-him-a-superstar-31278700.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Was only 12 in 2002 remember 2002 a small bit pity we're **** now and won't get to experience anything like that for quite some time

Nobody under 25 in the team now apparently,so any talent we have got is quickly disappearing and not being replaced.
    Were depending on a 35 year old to score for us says it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭GreaseGunner

I was 9 for the 2002 World Cup, so it was pretty huge :) on Irish match days we used to set up the TV in school and a win or draw meant no homework :D needless to say there were celebrations when Robbie put it past Oliver Kahn :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

I was 1 for Italia 90, I was 5 for USA 94, so I have no real memories of those tournaments. I was, however, 13 years old for Korea/Japan 2002, and that tournament not only represents my fondest World Cup memory, but my fondest football memory altogether.

The realisation that I will never feel the enjoyment of the 2002 World Cup again became apparent long ago, and it's really hammered home when you watch the struggles of the current team. There was once a point where the best sides in Europe would come to Lansdowne Road and be happy to leave with a draw, now we don't beat teams ranked higher than us. We just don't.

Sorry, I thought this was the soccer forum there. I love football.

So yeah, 2002 for me.

• Advertisement

Euro '88 and beating the English was something special. How we didn't beat USSR in the next game I'll never know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Italia 90.
    The roads outside Stillorgan Shopping Centre were like the scenes at the Walkinstown roundabout in the opening post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

sadly I'm old to eneogh to remember them all even Euro '88 , when we could have won the thing.
    Italia '90 was great cause it was such a new experience , the enormity of beating Romania (on penalties mind) can not be overstated - Paul McGrath performances were unreal.

USA '94 started off so well , again heroics from McGrath against Italy - but it all ended badly against Holland, Bonner let in a couple.

'02 was strange post the Keane fiasco, the team did brilliant , what if Keane had gone - a final perhaps.

All in all , as I've stated on the football forum, the current squad are at best very average - don't lack effort , but roll on the rugby WC.

The soccer team will probably come around in a decade , swings and roundabouts for a small country like us.

thebaz wrote: »
    USA '94 started off so well , again heroics from McGrath against Italy - but it all ended badly against Holland, Bonner let in a couple.

Was the cause of us going out in Italy too but nobody said anything as he was the shoot out hero against Romania.

Looking back he was just a fairly average keeper!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I'm only old enough to remember 2002, we were on a school tour in Clara Lara the day Ireland were playing Germany and we were listening to the match on a radio. 1-0 down as we were all getting changed out of our swimming gear, one of the lads had nothing but his towel on when Robbie Keane scored the equaliser.. Needless to say we all erupted when the goal went in and the towel didn't stay on him for too much longer showing off all of his 10 year old manhood for the entire class to see :D

Silly memory looking back on it but one that I will remember forever. Would love to have more days like that in future as I think everyone will have fond memories of these moments, sad to think there is probably an entire generation who won't get to experience anything like it due to the state of the Irish team at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭golfball37

Was the cause of us going out in Italy too but nobody said anything as he was the shoot out hero against Romania.

He made big saves from lineker in euro 88 game too in fairness to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Italia 90, hands down. Probably the worst in terms of football, but for drama, excitement and raw emotion it will never be bettered.

Roger Milla and Cameroon hacking their way to the quarter finals, Sheedy's goal against England, Platt's last minute extra time winner, Rene Higuita and Carlos Valderama, Cascarino kicking the ground and still beating the keeper, Packie's save, Toto Schillaci (the bastard), Uruguay fcuking Scotland without being in the same group, drawing lots with Holland to play FRG, Voller and Rijkaard, Gazza's tears, Waddle's miss, and a final that had more goals than the whole rest of the tournament put together, Nessun Dorma everywhere you bleeding looked.

Italia 90 will never be repeated or emulated, and eternally remembered as the catalyst for putting this nation on its feet. We'll never see the likes of it again, more's the pity.

i always thought that about Italia '90

he saved a peno but should have done better against Italy.

Bonner was an average keeper, but got hyped up cause of that save - I remember getting dogs abuse cause I questioned his keeping against the Dutch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭ThinkProgress

2002 - After we got knocked out, it was all about brazil... Ronaldinho, Cafu, R.Carlos... in their pomp.

But mostly big fat Ronaldo coming back from one of his major knee injuries and just smoking everybody. He even looked slim and lean, which was very rare for him.

He was my favorite player too. That was his last chance to show the world how great he was. And boy did he show it! Genius! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Italia 90, hands down. Probably the worst in terms of football, but for drama, excitement and raw emotion it will never be bettered.

Roger Milla and Cameroon hacking their way to the quarter finals, Sheedy's goal against England, Platt's last minute extra time winner, Rene Higuita and Carlos Valderama, Cascarino kicking the ground and still beating the keeper, Packie's save, Toto Schillaci (the bastard), Uruguay fcuking Scotland without being in the same group, drawing lots with Holland to play FRG, Voller and Rijkaard, Gazza's tears, Waddle's miss, and a final that had more goals than the whole rest of the tournament put together, Nessun Dorma everywhere you bleeding looked.

Italia 90 will never be repeated or emulated, and eternally remembered as the catalyst for putting this nation on its feet. We'll never see the likes of it again, more's the pity.

That's f*cking beautiful.

• Advertisement

Don't forget the emergence of one Roberto Baggio

For Ireland for sure , but for a neural the previous World cup, was the best I remember - it had everything - great games france v brazil - and a true Superstar - Maradonna - best player i ever saw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

the 1-0 final from andy brehme's penalty? was a shyte match.

2002 for me. just finished uni the day before the cameroon match so was on a buzz for the few days after. the germany match was just unreal.
    although italia 90... at least the games were on at a reasonable hour!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

the 1-0 final from andy brehme's penalty? was a shyte match.

It was scored in normal time though. :p It was a brutal match, and I mean that in a good way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Not really into football, but Italia 90 was insane. It would take an alien invasion to unite the nation like that again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I was 5 years old for Italia '90 but can remember living in Westport, Mayo at the time watching it on TV and then people going crazy after the penalties.

In 94, I remember staying up to watch the Ireland vs Italy match and one of my aunts in the US calling us after the match to talk about how exciting it was over there watching it and rooting for Ireland.

2002 was fun but by that stage I was working during a lot of the matches. I was also on a plane when Ireland were playing Spain. Our pilot was good enough to give us updates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Italia 90 for me, was doing the Inter Cert that summer but that took second place to the World Cup.

There was a great atmosphere everywhere that summer, doubt we will see anything like it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭LadyFenghuang

Probably the USA one. I remember one player brought a bag of water onto the pitch and got reprimanded. The weather over there killed our players. I don't know a lot about football. But the atmos gets you. I remember going to the neighbours to watch and climbing over their fence and their mom making a lettuce sandwich 'for the vegetarian!'. I think I had gone veggie the year before. I can actually remember each house I went to watch. I haven't a clue about football! I had a two girlfriends I played hockey with, they played Gaelic football and messing around with them after on the green, just the three of us. I was rubbish!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaliforniaDream

2002 is the one I remember the best. Although I was stuck doing my leaving cert at the time. :mad:
    Wore an Irish shirt instead of my uniform and felt proud for rebelling! Great summer though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

Keane ruined Japan/Korea for me. Never will be forgiven by most for that incredible selfish act. Italia 90 is the one that stands out tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I was 8 for Italia 90. Still remember it well. Myself and all the friends used go to the local pub for the games. We would get a pint of diluted orange for 10p so 20p would get you through the game. We all sat on the floor in front of the telly in the pub and the place used be hectic. Great times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Where's the options for 1970 and 1986?

1990 was literally rubbish...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Definitely Italia 90. Was nine years old and was the best summer of my youth. Football on display was ****e, we scored two goals and got to the last eight but was brilliant. Everyone was buzzing. Great atmosphere in the country

Two quotes from the time sum it up for me:

I missed the World Cup because I was in Italy - Con Houlihan

**** Schillacci - Jimmy Rabbitte Sr.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Collie D wrote: »
    Definitely Italia 90. Was nine years old and was the best summer of my youth. Football on display was ****e, we scored two goals and got to the last eight but was brilliant. Everyone was buzzing. Great atmosphere in the country

Two quotes from the time sum it up for me:

I missed the World Cup because I was in Italy - Con Houlihan

**** Schillacci - Jimmy Rabbitte Sr.

Sorry to be pedantic but that quote came from The Snapper a few years latter so how do you link that to the World Cup at the time?

murpho999 wrote: »
    Sorry to be pedantic but that quote came from The Snapper a few years latter so how do you link that to the World Cup at the time?

Was it not in The Van?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

The Commitments, 1991.

sugarman wrote: »
    HAS to be 2002.

We never won a game in Italia 90. It was such boring hoofball, the same that everyone gives out about now.

At least the quality of football played in 2002 was prob the best we've ever played.

Could have easily made the quarters again if it was for a peno miss by harte.

It never captured the public imagination like Italia '90!
    The whole Saipan thing kinda divided the nation whereas Italia '90 pretty much united everyone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭valoren

Italia 90.

I was young enough to appreciate the hype and atmosphere of a major event.
    I wasn't old enough yet to recognise crap football when I saw it.
    The sweet spot!

Pass the ball back to Bonner, he hoofs the ball into their box for Cascarino or Quinn to leap up and try to win, then feed off the scraps for chances. Put em under pressure until you win posession again and repeat as above.

I remember being so nervous for the penalty shootout that I went outside due to the tension. There was literally nobody on the streets. Deserted. I've never seen the likes of it since. Then there was a huge roar from the houses. I figured something good must have happened so made it back in time to 'hold my breath' for the final spot kick.

Italia 90 was just nuts. The country went crazy. Still the best sign at an Irish game was the site of young men, presumably from a farming background holding up their "Mam, sell the sheep, send on the money" plea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Damn this thread :p I've been humming this for the last hour now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

About the time then. It was The Van by the way. First rule of pedantry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

USA 94. Raaaaaaaayyy Hooouuughtonnnnnn!(shouted George Hamilton) Players getting overheated, and John Aldridge having a go at the officials.

Keane ruined Japan/Korea for me. Never will be forgiven by most for that incredible selfish act. Italia 90 is the one that stands out tbh.

He should have swallowed his pride and gone .. BUT I'd blame the FAI and the penny pinching on the players so the blazers got more lavish junkets and jollys. With recent revelations they really were a backward organisation back then, more interested in there own self interest and greed than the welfare of the game.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Italia 90 has the most stand out moments for me. I was 13, and while I remember watching a good bit of the 86 world cup it was the first world cup I was really interested in. Despite the fact that a lot of the games were very poor there were still some great stand out moments, and never before or since have I associated a piece of music so much with an event as with Nessun Dorma and that world cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Stojkovic

Correct.

Nothings beats it as being the worst WC since 1962.

Stojkovic wrote: »
    Correct.

Possibly true, though I have to say I can't remember any prior to 1982 myself.

But of course the outpouring of emotion here was nothing to do with some technical analysis of football. It was just a huge event and had a much wider significance than tactics on the pitch.

Correct.

You weren't complaining when you scored those 2 crackers V Spain ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

As it stands quite a few of the international players started their careers in the League of Ireland.

That wasn't the case when we were qualifying for World Cups.
    Players who don't get to England until later in their career will develop as players later.

Therefore, IMO the only way to get them to that standard earlier is to make massive improvements to the game here, but there is no willingness to do that, so I reckon that we'll probably never qualify for a World Cup again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

98 was the first World Cup I remember. Was in awe of Ronaldo and that Brazilian team. Gutted when another legend in Zidane beat them in the final.

2002 was great, but I remember being gutted again when Keane left the fold. Had idolised him in that qualification campaign. He was immense against Portugal and Holland and deserved to play a WC when in his prime.

Wasn't born for Italia 90, and too young for 94, but I am fairly jealous when listening to folks memories from those times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Correct.

2010 in South Africa was horrible to watch as well.

At least it was sandwiched between two good Euros.

• Advertisement
Advertisement