Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super E3 2015 - General Discussion Turbo Redux Edition

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Well if you disagree then feel free to tell me why I'm wrong and get in on the discussion instead of moaning like children.

Nerddd Raagggeee needs no justification, only a keyboard and Raaaagggeee!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

As a person who loves video games I'm just happy that some people put so much passion into making the things we all enjoy, be it sequels (COD), new IPs (ReCore), experimental new concepts (No Mans Sky).... be they crowd-sourcing die-hard fans, publishers, developers or indie programmers.

So many great things have been announced, hell if you mentioned that FF7, Shenmue and The Last Guardian would have been revealed months ago, this whole forum would have imploded. :rolleyes:

Then they actually get announced and it's like "Next Please!" :confused:
    You can only play one game at a time and most games take a bout a week to play.

There was literally something there for everyone from the hardcore fighters (SF5), to the Action Adventure console exclusives (Tomb Raider and Uncharted), to competitive shooters, to Beautiful indie platforms (Unravel) :eek:

No pleasing some people in all honesty :pac:

Huzzah for E3, the ultimate celebration of all things gaming! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

So they have had difficulties getting exclusives for this financial year so have to concentrate on DLC and timed excluves etc..., but they are investing heavily for the future at the moment. Kinda like I said?

You are claiming some massive shift in focus from Sony but no such shift exists. They gave about the same time to indies and just had to lean on multi-platforms a little harder then I'm sure they would have hoped. And were Microsoft's exclusives really that much more memorable or bountiful anyway?
    Andrew House has stated this is the plan for PS4 going forward. It's right there in plain English you even have Sony securing a partnership with Call of Duty just like the 360 back in the day when the 360 was the king of the multi-plats.

I don't undestand why you are turning it into a Microsoft vs Sony thing. It's clearly evident from watching this mornings presentation that Sony are making a move to be the best platform to play multi-plats.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

$44,000 to go

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Can somebody please explain to me what the hype for the last guardian is all about.

It looks ****e to me.

I just cant see why all the hype

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,563 ✭✭✭✭Penn

RasTa wrote: »
    Nice one Sony yet again.

Not surprisingly that wasn't enough for the Xbox fanboys.

In all fairness, the backwards compatibility announcement for the XB1 is f*cking huge, and trumped probably anything Sony showed. Depending on how quickly they can grow the list of titles available for backwards compatibility, it could attract a lot of people to the XB1.

Though I'd say a lot of developers might not be happy as it probably damages their chances for releasing more remasters/remakes if people can still play the original.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I've grown very cynical towards E3 this year, I must confess (likely to the mocking of many of the rest of ye :pac:). Don't get me wrong, I was as happy as anybody to wake up this morning and finally find out that The Last Guardian is still alive. But I just can't buy into the general 'hype' anymore.

Never! Those clips are cool, pretty much me this morning reading the news

Bad Horse wrote: »
    In all fairness, the backwards compatibility announcement for the XB1 is f*cking huge, and trumped probably anything Sony showed. Depending on how quickly they can grow the list of titles available for backwards compatibility, it could attract a lot of people to the XB1.

Though I'd say a lot of developers might not be happy as it probably damages their chances for releasing more remasters/remakes if people can still play the original.

My problem with it is they said it was impossible, now they are saying it's really simple. So they lied about it?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

From a neutral point of view I enjoyed both Sony's and Microsoft's conference. I hope Nintendo can match them but am a bit worried. Half Life 3 at PC conference will be the icing on the cake but lets be honest here people!

Bad Horse wrote: »

Really? I had that on the PS3 for PS2 games and rarely played them and didn't MS do it with 360 and first XB games.

Big fat meh to that one

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,386 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Can somebody please explain to me what the hype for the last guardian is all about.

It looks ****e to me.

Same discussion being had in the main thread on the game: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056211801

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Rossi IRL wrote: »

It looks ****e to me.

Unless you've played the other games in the series it's hard to explain. They were never ground breaking graphically speaking... just really, really good games that broke boundries.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I find it weird that they are still bandying about Fumito Ueda's name on Last Gaurdian considering he left the project years ago. It's like Sony are the anti Konami, 'he's still here.... in spirit'. It's kind of worry for the Last Gaurdian project, I doubt it will have the feel of one of his games without him at the driving seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

.ak wrote: »
    Unless you've played the other games in the series it's hard to explain. They were never ground breaking graphically speaking... just really, really good games that broke boundries.

Didnt even know it was part of a series of games.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,563 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Really? I had that on the PS3 for PS2 games and rarely played them and didn't MS do it with 360 and first XB games.

Big fat meh to that one

It is something a lot of people want, and have asked for from both companies both before and after the consoles' release. There is still a demand to be able to play older games on newer consoles, without the need for remakes/remasters. And it gives the XB1 a unique selling point over the PS4, especially given the number of 360 consoles sold worldwide and how many people would still have many games for it.

It's not the be all and end all, but in terms of the consoles (as opposed to games), it was definitely a big plus to Microsoft. I'd absolutely f*cking love it if Sony could do the same, rather than PS Now with its limited selection and quite frankly insulting prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Shenmue 3 has just passed 2 million now

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3/updates

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,386 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I find it weird that they are still bandying about Fumito Ueda's name on Last Gaurdian considering he left the project years ago. It's like Sony are the anti Konami, 'he's still here.... in spirit'. It's kind of worry for the Last Gaurdian project, I doubt it will have the feel of one of his games without him at the driving seat.

He's still directing it though? He has left Sony's employment, but is still working on a freelance basis until the game is finished. Haven't ever heard anything about him leaving the project.

My problem with it is they said it was impossible, now they are saying it's really simple. So they lied about it?

I wouldn't say it's fair to say they lied, but hey, who knows for sure?

I would guess past experience with Xbox to 360 compatibility would have been a factor in how much time and resources they wanted to put into it in the beginning, also sony's momentum since launching the PS4 is no doubt a factor now.

Also MS own and virtualisation technology in general has also come a very long way since the 360 launched , which is essentially how they have got these to run from the looks of it , it's like running a 360 vm on the one from the little bit I played on it. When you start up a 360 game , you get the boot splash logo and chime and the sign in / # of friends on line pop ups but it looks like all they have done is used the setting to boot the console to a game instead of the full 360 dash. Theres been some tweaks to the guide too.

Having seen it now this wasn't something cobbled together in a few weeks.

I wouldn't say it's fair to say they lied, but hey, who knows for sure?

I would guess past experience with Xbox to 360 compatibility would have been a factor in how much time and resources they wanted to put into it in the beginning, also sony's momentum since launching the PS4 is no doubt a factor now.

Also MS own and virtualisation technology in general has also come a very long way since the 360 launched , which is essentially how they have got these to run from the looks of it , it's like running a 360 vm on the one from the little bit I played on it. When you start up a 360 game , you get the boot splash logo and chime and the sign in / # of friends on line pop ups but it looks like all they have done is used the setting to boot the console to a game instead of the full 360 dash. Theres been some tweaks to the guide too.

Having seen it now this wasn't something cobbled together in a few weeks.
    They had said it wasn't possible. That is a lie

• Registered Users Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Shemue 3

computer-crying.gif

Last Guardian

Greys-Anatomy.gif

No Man's Sky

Unchartred 4

Street Fighter 5

Nice one Sony yet again.

Not surprisingly that wasn't enough for the Xbox fanboys.
    So 1 actual exclusive Uncharted 4 which looks amazing. *Tips hat.

Street Fighter 5- on PC also. I have no interest in SF games. For me the glory days stopped after Street fighter 2 expansions. I think SF is a very niche gaming community and when the partnership with Sony was announced there was barely any reaction online from the Xbox community whereas when Tomb Raider was first announced to be an Xbox exclsive Sony fans were up in arms :)

No mans Sky - on PC too. Still no release date. Shown at E3 2013 and still nothing.
    Sony seem to love showing things that don't come out for over 3 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Is an even healthier dose of cynicism and skepticism need amid the endless Randy Marsh splurging jpegs?
    Sweet mother of christ no. The only thing that's more prevalent than game trailers at E3 is the crushing wave of cynicism, sarcasm and all round negativity that accompanies them. It's gotten so bad in previous years that I've just switched off from the whole thing now. I'll watch the trailers, read up on some info, make a note of the dates and the ones I'm interested in and just move on. Everything else is just ignored.

I mean you said it yourself, it's a conference where a whole bunch of video games are announced. Some, people will want to play; others, they won't. Some, we'll already know about and want to see more of; others, we won't. Why do people need to lose their god damn minds, for better or for worse, over it?
    No, it is impossible to do in hardware. What they'll essentially be doing now is emulating the entire platform on the additional cores present in XBox One. That kind of engineering is by no means a small feat so it's utterly unsurprising it's taken a while to be unveiled.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I mean, this is the way grown adults react to a CG trailer of a remake at a Sony press conference?!

I don't disagree with anything you said but at the same time I loved the reactions to last night conference.

I had the GT stream going with the Sony one as I like their shows etc and I couldn't help but smile seeing some of the reactions (Shenmue 3 in particular).

Sure it looks so stupid but it sends out some good vibes and you can't help but feel good about it.

tok9 wrote: »
    I don't disagree with anything you said but at the same time I loved the reactions to last night conference.

I had the GT stream going with the Sony one as I like their shows etc and I couldn't help but smile seeing some of the reactions (Shenmue 3 in particular).

Sure it looks so stupid but it sends out some good vibes and you can't help but feel good about it.

Gamers passionate about games. Don't see the problem myself. Better than just having a 50year old white guy upping your swag

So 1 actual exclusive Uncharted 4 which looks amazing. *Tips hat.

Street Fighter 5- on PC also. I have no interest in SF games. For me the glory days stopped after Street fighter 2 expansions. I think SF is a very niche gaming community and when the partnership with Sony was announced there was barely any reaction online from the Xbox community whereas when Tomb Raider was first announced to be an Xbox exclsive Sony fans were up in arms :)

No mans Sky - on PC too. Still no release date. Shown at E3 2013 and still nothing.
    Sony seem to love showing things that don't come out for over 3 years.

Well The Last Guardian too. Street Fighter is huge, just look at evo. Tomb Raider is coming out on PS4 anyway although don't care about that one.

Basically Street Fighter, ICO, SOTC and Shenmue where all my favourite games through different console generations so happy days.

Nothing games wise shown from Xbox hit me in the feels like the Sony news

I've never played FF7 :eek::eek: I remember getting it for christmas and thinking there are too many discs so swapping it for Broken Sword.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Horizon: Zero Dawn was also announced by Guerrilla Games. Nice to get a new IP in there.
    It was hardly a surprise that Sony need to rely on multiplats this year. It's encouraging to see them announce new games for next year and beyond.

gizmo wrote: »
    Sweet mother of christ no. The only thing that's more prevalent than game trailers at E3 is the crushing wave of cynicism, sarcasm and all round negativity that accompanies them. It's gotten so bad in previous years that I've just switched off from the whole thing now. I'll watch the trailers, read up on some info, make a note of the dates and the ones I'm interested in and just move on. Everything else is just ignored.

I mean you said it yourself, it's a conference where a whole bunch of video games are announced. Some, people will want to play; others, they won't. Some, we'll already know about and want to see more of; others, we won't. Why do people need to lose their god damn minds, for better or for worse, over it?

Oh, I absolutely don't mean hyperbolic, bitter cynicism either, just enough to acknowledge the show for what it is :) I'd be the same as you, have a gander over everything once the conferences are over and done with and see if anything interesting emerged. I'm just a bit concerned the unchecked enthusiasm for the whole event is giving it all more prominence and weight than it deserves. I'd love, for example, to see a high-profile event more geared towards celebrating the great games that are finished, and by extent analyse them in more depth (GDC is closer to that I think, with its in-depth talks and the like) and flag them for a new audience (filtering through the sheer amount of content is always a problem for everyone) - something more in-line with a film festival than a press conference. That to me would be something to look forward to much more than E3.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,552 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

The hololens tech is cool - but i do see it as having far more impact on the business and design worlds than the gaming world. That mine craft is the only game displayed for it would point to that, imo.

Much more interested in the gaming possibilities of VR.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The reactions were really pathetic last night, kind of shows that the games popular press is mostly made up of scream fanboys rather than anyone capable of actual journalistic analysis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Oh, I absolutely don't mean hyperbolic, bitter cynicism either, just enough to acknowledge the show for what it is :) I'd be the same as you, have a gander over everything once the conferences are over and done with and see if anything interesting emerged. I'm just a bit concerned the unchecked enthusiasm for the whole event is giving it all more prominence and weight than it deserves. I'd love, for example, to see a high-profile event more geared towards celebrating the great games that are finished, and by extent analyse them in more depth (GDC is closer to that I think, with its in-depth talks and the like) and flag them for a new audience (filtering through the sheer amount of content is always a problem for everyone) - something more in-line with a film festival than a press conference. That to me would be something to look forward to much more than E3.

Tbf, there seems to be only three settings allowed for commenting on the likes of E3: Unabashed love, burning hatred or meh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

The reactions were really pathetic last night, kind of shows that the games popular press is mostly made up of scream fanboys rather than anyone capable of actual journalistic analysis.

Oh man, give it a rest like.

Seeing someone get that happy about something that means clearly so much to them is in no way pathetic.

Advertisement