Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super E3 2015 - General Discussion Turbo Redux Edition

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,371 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I can't really see the 4 people sharing think with VR working that well outside simple demos. The PS4 struggles with 1080p @60 fps on most games. Imagine that at 120 fps (60 is horrible for most people for VR) across 4 1080p displays. I'm sure there'll be tricks like rendering at half resolution across both screens but you still need to render a lot of the world 4 times.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,371 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Cormac... wrote: »
    Oh man, give it a rest like.

Seeing someone get that happy about something that means clearly so much to them is in no way pathetic.

It's a game, not the birth of their first child.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The reactions were really pathetic last night, kind of shows that the games popular press is mostly made up of scream fanboys rather than anyone capable of actual journalistic analysis.

you are so cynical, what game hurt you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

It's a game, not the birth of their first child.

lol indeed. Why get excited about anything....

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,263 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Childbirth is overrated, and a bit icky.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Oh man, give it a rest like.

Seeing someone get that happy about something that means clearly so much to them is in no way pathetic.

I'm in agreement with retrogamer with this one. Those fellas were a bunch of tools.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Oh, I absolutely don't mean hyperbolic, bitter cynicism either, just enough to acknowledge the show for what it is :)
    Oh don't get me wrong, caution (let's call it that for now) is totally warranted if it's based on actual facts. For instance, there's a very large difference between ones enthusiasm for the new Transformers game being dulled by the fact that it'll be the Korra team on a licensed-title budget from Activision and someone sneering at an in-engine trailer that it won't look as good at launch or will probably be "downgraded" before launch solely on the basis of the publisher involved or some of extremely few examples in recent times.

As for the show in a more general sense, E3 has and will always be, primarily aimed at shareholders. The fact that it's opened up more in previous years to the general audience and become more of a spectacle doesn't change this fact, so if people don't want to acknowledge it for what it is then that's their problem.
    I'd be the same as you, have a gander over everything once the conferences are over and done with and see if anything interesting emerged. I'm just a bit concerned the unchecked enthusiasm for the whole event is giving it all more prominence and weight than it deserves.
    It very much is and, as a follow on from what I said above, people expect it to be something it's not because of this.
    I'd love, for example, to see a high-profile event more geared towards celebrating the great games that are finished, and by extent analyse them in more depth (GDC is closer to that I think) and flag them for a new audience - something more in-line with a film festival than a press conference.
    This is a more interesting point. Ignoring for a second what I said about who E3 is actually targeting, you still have a Summer event showing off games in a period where new releases are relatively thin on the ground. Not only that but it'll be a big reveal for many titles which will act as a spring board for marketing campaigns which, as we've seen before, are very effective (for better or for worse) regardless of people's thoughts on them.

In terms of the event you'd like to see, I think it's more difficult to do given the nature of games as a medium. Watch some of the content in the GDC Vault and try to imagine keeping a more gamer-centric audience interested for a prolonged period of time. A decent middle ground is something along the lines of Gamessom and PAX, events with a large open show floor with titles the public can get their hands on and a press given slightly more access to titles given the lower key nature of the event compared to E3.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

I'm in agreement with retrogamer with this one. Those fellas were a bunch of tools.

Sure don't watch them so like :rolleyes:

I think people in Big Brother are tools, so I don't watch them

I barely know who some of that 'Journalistic Team' are, but i just thought it was nice to see them so happy.

Fair enough those games might be many years away. But video games primary purpose is to make people happy

That said I did have to lower my headphone volume to like 1/20, but cest-la-vie

RasTa wrote: »
    lol indeed. Why get excited about anything....

A couple of seconds of a reveal trailer for a game they won't see for a year or two and they're jumping around like they've won 100 million in the lotto. Do you expect to get any rational and proper critical analysis from them? A bit or decorum there, lads…

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

No mans Sky - on PC too. Still no release date. Shown at E3 2013 and still nothing.
    Sony seem to love showing things that don't come out for over 3 years.

And to add to that, im sure on 1 of the side screens on stage that it said console debut, which to me means it will be out a couple of months later on xbox

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

The reactions were really pathetic last night, kind of shows that the games popular press is mostly made up of scream fanboys rather than anyone capable of actual journalistic analysis.

I don't think any of them would claim to be journalists so not sure what the issue is there.

A couple of seconds of a reveal trailer for a game they won't see for a year or two and they're jumping around like they've won 100 million in the lotto. Do you expect to get any rational and proper critical analysis from them? A bit or decorum there, lads…

Well some passion is always nice to see, I don't read game reviews or care about what gaming journalists write in general so meh to being anal over them getting excited.

Sure don't watch them so like :rolleyes:

I think people in Big Brother are tools, so I don't watch them

I barely know who some of that 'Journalistic Team' are, but i just thought it was nice to see them so happy.

Fair enough those games might be many years away. But video games primary purpose is to make people happy

That said I did have to lower my headphone volume to like 1/20, but cest-la-vie

People posted up links of them. I had no idea what they were going to be like. Should I just not watch anything in case I might be critical of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I didn't think a huge amount of Sonys show either way, but if they're excited fair play, I love getting that excited for stuff, and I wish I was feeling more enthusiastic about the big 3 games we saw.

Well some passion is always nice to see, I don't read game reviews or care about what gaming journalists write in general so meh to being anal over them getting excited.

You might call crawling all over a chrome barstool while watching a 15 second trailer, passion, I call it being a complete spanner…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Shenmue 3, FF7, The Last Guardian, Fallout 4, DOOM, et al. Is it really beyond the realm of belief that Gabe could walk out on stage tonight during the PC conference and announce Half-Life 3? It would make this E3 even greater than it already is...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Falthyron wrote: »
    Shenmue 3, FF7, The Last Guardian, Fallout 4, DOOM, et al. Is it really beyond the realm of belief that Gabe could walk out on stage tonight during the PC conference and announce Half-Life 3? It would make this E3 even greater than it already is...

*gabe walks out*
    *fans go mental*
    *half life 3 3 plays*
    *fades out with release date*
    *mic drop and walks back stage*
    *internet breaks*

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Falthyron wrote: »

Not going to happen. I wouldn't waste time getting excited about the possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

For Honor looks really nice, bit of a mix between Chivalry, Assassins Creed and maybe Ryse.

Horizon Zero Dawn looks fantastic as well, might see a lot of people buy a PS4 for that one.

And of course FFVII :pac:

*gabe walks out*
    *fans go mental*
    *half life 3 3 plays*
    *fades out with release date*
    *mic drop and walks back stage*
    *internet breaks*

Cut to those GT fellas stripping and lathering themselves in baby oil…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

You might call crawling all over a chrome barstool while watch a 15 second trailer, passion, I call it being a complete spanner…
    Over the top reactions = views/shares/attention.

Views/attention = money.

And the world keeps burning turning....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Ah they're pandering to an audience really, they know their *shudder* demographic is probably 12 to 20 year olds, who do get all all hyped up, I know I was certainly as keen as that when i was younger. These days, i appreciate the likes of giantbombs coverage. a group of thirtysomething guys, jaded from the years of false promises and marketing hype. Its more fun to watch them drinking, while slightly mocking the presentations as they go on too.

You might call crawling all over a chrome barstool while watch a 15 second trailer, passion, I call it being a complete spanner…

Yeah I get it, bit too much hate for me personally but probably an Irish thing.

I also doubt there are many 12-20 year old getting excited about Shenmue 3, Last Guardian and FF7 remake.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

I enjoy E3 for the announcements and great footage of new games coming out, but it is far more interesting and enjoyable if you watch it as if you were watching the Eurovision. We need a Terry Wogan/Graham Norton type to narrate over the conferences.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I kinda agree... buuut.. At the end of the day, this industry is made of fanboys. Lets be honest, gaming is just a medium of entertainment, a pretty nerdy one at that. The reason these guys got into their jobs is because they're avid gamers... are we to expect them to not be gamers? A cold analytical reaction is something held for movies or plays, not games.

Ha, yeah, that's it. If I'm critical about something it's because I'm being too Irish. Surely you should be mentioning something about typical Irish begrudgery at this stage…

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I also doubt there are many 12-20 year old getting excited about Shenmue 3, Last Guardian and FF7 remake.

sure isn't this exactly how the media works, the guy on screen says its cool, so it must be cool, right?

Ha, yeah, that's it. If I'm critical about something it's because I'm being too Irish. Surely you should be mentioning something about typical Irish begrudgery at this stage…

I don't think calling someone a spanner is insightful criticism

We need another high profile disaster to liven things up. Something along the lines of the PS3 lukewarm reveal or the legendarily bad Konami one from a few years back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Wonder if in 4 hours this thread will get More Toxic, or Less Toxic

I mean Nintendo always seems to bring out some torch-and-pitchfork-bearers with how they do business but at this point I think we're at Critical-Mass now :-/

Advertisement