Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super E3 2015 - General Discussion Turbo Redux Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

RasTa wrote: »
    I don't think calling someone a spanner is insightful criticism
    It's a humorous analogy.

Seeing people get that excited for games that won't be released until God knows when is cringeworthy.

I mean yeah get excited if its weeks from now or a few months but not when you'll be hearing about at next years E3 again with the game still not released.

• Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭Azza

So 1 actual exclusive Uncharted 4 which looks amazing. *Tips hat.

Street Fighter 5- on PC also. I have no interest in SF games. For me the glory days stopped after Street fighter 2 expansions. I think SF is a very niche gaming community and when the partnership with Sony was announced there was barely any reaction online from the Xbox community whereas when Tomb Raider was first announced to be an Xbox exclsive Sony fans were up in arms :)

No mans Sky - on PC too. Still no release date. Shown at E3 2013 and still nothing.
    Sony seem to love showing things that don't come out for over 3 years.

Street Fighter series is anything but niche. The SF4 series has sold around 8 million copies and doesn't include the Arcade release. SF franchise itself has more than 35 million sales and anohter 500,000 arcade cabinets sold.

SF4 brought back the glory days and practically revived a flagging genre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

RasTa wrote: »
    I don't think calling someone a spanner is insightful criticism

You're right. A spanner is actually a useful tool…

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Nintendo to announce their line of Half Life Amiibo's

....."oh and one final thing, I guess you need a game to use them on right?"

:pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,386 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Enthusiasm is wonderful to see, but to me many of the responses seen online over the last 24 hours cross a line into the ridiculous. I'm sure we're all happy about some of the recent reveals (got a nice little buzz this morning when I was greeted by concrete Last Guardian information), but screaming and physically freaking out about a mere reveal trailer cannot help but seem more than a tad silly to me, in some cases conjuring up that idea of an immature hyper-consumer that caused so many problems a few months back.

I saw a film at the weekend that I considered one of the most extraordinary I've seen in recent years, that moved me greatly. It's always exciting to experience something like that. Yet bar maybe one or two quiet jaw drops, I never felt the need to shout and scream or otherwise physically emote because of it. Maybe I'll just never understand how people can get that riled up - especially over something as inconsequential as a teaser trailer, even for a game they've been eagerly anticipating.
    gizmo wrote: »
    In terms of the event you'd like to see, I think it's more difficult to do given the nature of games as a medium. Watch some of the content in the GDC Vault and try to imagine keeping a more gamer-centric audience interested for a prolonged period of time. A decent middle ground is something along the lines of Gamessom and PAX, events with a large open show floor with titles the public can get their hands on and a press given slightly more access to titles given the lower key nature of the event compared to E3.

Aye I'm sort of dreaming aloud here, and the film festival model couldn't be emulated without some fundamental practical shifts. Still, it's a shame to me there's so little space out there to celebrate the finished games (even the smaller shows are almost all about upcoming ones), something with genuine prestige behind it (heck, even a cursed awards show would do!). Like now that there's the summer gap you mentioned, what a great time it would be to highlight the many great games that slipped through the cracks over the last year - throw in some high-profile trailers and you'd get the eyeballs ;). It would be incredibly unlikely to ever have the visibility as E3, but there's IMO definitely a 'gap', and a greater need for more appreciation of the games that are 'done' and out in the wild.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

how many will die in the E3 flame war of 2015? how many? won't anyone think of the little childers?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I saw a film at the weekend that I considered one of the most extraordinary I've seen in recent years, that moved me greatly. It's always exciting to experience something like that. Yet bar maybe one or two quiet jaw drops, I never felt the need to shout and scream or otherwise physically emote because of it. Maybe I'll just never understand how people can get that riled up - especially over something as inconsequential as a teaser trailer, even for a game they've been eagerly anticipating.

what was it if you dont mind me asking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Aye I'm sort of dreaming aloud here, and the film festival model couldn't be emulated without some fundamental practical shifts. Still, it's a shame to me there's so little space out there to celebrate the finished games (even the smaller shows are all about upcoming ones), something with genuine prestige behind it (heck, even a cursed awards show would do!). Like now that there's the summer gap you mentioned, what a great time it would be to highlight the many great games that slipped through the cracks over the last year - throw in some high-profile trailers and you'd get the eyeballs ;). It would be incredibly unlikely to ever have the visibility as E3, but there's IMO definitely a 'gap', and a greater need for more appreciation of the games that are 'done' and out in the wild.

There's the BAFTA Game Awards and tbh no one seems to give two sh¡ts about that…

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,229 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

People react differently when they know they're being filmed or watched, it's just human nature. You're more likely to laugh out loud at something if there's other people in ear shot and these reactions (much like the ones you see on youtube of people watching Game of Thrones) happen for the same reason.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,386 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

what was it if you dont mind me asking?

The Look of Silence (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=95877023)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Jesus that last 10 pages since last night have been a hard read, anyway roll on Nintendos conference at 17.00, if its anything like last years owners are in for a treat.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,253 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

No mans Sky - on PC too. Still no release date. Shown at E3 2013 and still nothing.
    Sony seem to love showing things that don't come out for over 3 years.

I thought that was only announced last year no?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I thought that was only announced last year no?

For PS4 but it was shown well before that, probably a year before that again.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Spare a thought for PSVita owners who were all but completely shunned at the conference. Clearly Sony has abandoned ship.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,253 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Ah..............and we still dont have that much info on it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

I thought Horizon Zero Dawn looked fantastic.

Spare a thought for PSVita owners who were all but completely shunned at the conference. Clearly Sony has abandoned ship.

They make a bigger deal about it at the TGS, seeing that its output is now mostly Japanese studios.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

They didn't even announce the redesign.....as a Vita (And PS4) owner its looking doomed to be Sony's last handheld entry. Pity as its a great device but Nintendo & the 3DS puts it to shame in many ways.

ERG89 wrote: »
    They didn't even announce the redesign.....as a Vita (And PS4) owner its looking doomed to be Sony's last handheld entry. Pity as its a great device but Nintendo & the 3DS puts it to shame in many ways.

If you like Visual Novels and JRPGs its still getting strong support and is far from doomed, if not well I love mine, but would not recommend it to others as it stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Xenji wrote: »
    If you like Visual Novels and JRPGs its still getting strong support and is far from doomed, if not well I love mine, but would not recommend it to others as it stands.

I have Persona 4 alright and i'm kinda waiting to get Dangonronpa cheap after upgrading my memory card. Civ Rev 2 is coming to it soon but it wouldn't have killed them to give it 5 minutes but its a legacy platform now :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭Pedro Monscooch

It was premiered in the great Spike Video Game Awards disaster of December 2013. It's still crazy ambitious but I'm no closer to seeing a point to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Ha, calling people pathetic because they were excited about a game announcement. Lighten up lads, it's the entertainment industry ffs. Just cause you guys are old and grumpy doesn't mean the rest of us have to be :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I love the fact that Horizon is basically Terminator, but the machines made Dinobots instead of Robot People looks brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

We need another high profile disaster to liven things up. Something along the lines of the PS3 lukewarm reveal or the legendarily bad Konami one from a few years back.

The 3 hour long PC Gaming show has that potential.

Dinosaurs are the new zombies it seems.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I saw a film at the weekend that I considered one of the most extraordinary I've seen in recent years, that moved me greatly.

It was San Andreas wasn't it?
    You've finally gone slightly mad Mr U

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Can somebody please explain to me what the hype for the last guardian is all about.

It looks ****e to me.

I just cant see why all the hype

You would probably have to have fallen in love with either the PS2 or the HD rereleases of Ico and Shadow of the Colossus.
    Those two games were quite perfect, frame rate issues aside in the latter title on the PS2.
    No, they didn't desire to shove the most polygons around, nor have you hiding behind chest high walls whilst storming a effect laden base.
    Most of the time in the former you were within and on the exterior of a massive castle/city complex, fighting the occasional monster of shadow and solving puzzles to the sound of gentle music, bird song and the noise of the wind.
    The latter featured ruins, lakes, forests and grassy plains.
    But that is only a satisfactory description if you think that Dark Souls was just set in an old ruin too, there is so much more than that.

And the only way to know is to play.
    They are, in my opinion at least, the most objectively perfect games I've ever played.

The new title looks like it may well be more.
    The mechanics of the previous games shared enough to make them in the same universe but it's indistinct how long has passed between them, how geographically disparate they are or if the second one precedes the first.
    They are different as the first is a rescue mission and the second game is a straight out hunt.
    This new title looks to be new, but sharing enough to, once again, share the universe created in the hitherto released titles but, and I can't stress this enough, you really need to play the games to completing then, when available, get The Last Guardian, it may be the most essential game of this console generation, Ico and SotC were certainly that for the PS2.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Benzino wrote: »
    Ha, calling people pathetic because they were excited about a game announcement. Lighten up lads, it's the entertainment industry ffs. Just cause you guys are old and grumpy doesn't mean the rest of us have to be :P

The girl was looking at them and thinking grow up ye 3 bellends.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I have both of them on PS3 thanks to plus , I don't know is it me or what but i just couldn't get into them as much as I wanted to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

The girl was looking at them and thinking grow up ye 3 bellends.

Judging by some of the stuff she does as part of the Co-Optional Broadcast I'd say she's well used to it :D
    CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    They are, in my opinion at least, the most objectively perfect games I've ever played.

High praise indeed

Advertisement