Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super E3 2015 - General Discussion Turbo Redux Edition

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Cormac... wrote: »
    Oh dear god, here we go again :rolleyes:

Don't worry, it's too easy these days. No bites needed.

This was the best E3 for games in awhile. Although most of the games are remakes or sequels etc but Shenmue 3 and The last Guardian are worthy of screaming...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Personally, Microsoft's Hololens was the highlight of the entire thing. Incredible jump in technology. Can't wait to see what comes after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

RasTa wrote: »
    Sony for me of course since it has showcased the best games as usual.

I agree, even though they'll need to lean on the multiplats this year, next year is looking good with Uncharted, Horizon: Zero Dawn and Last Guardian (finally).

Oh ya, just remembered that Everybodys Gone to the Rapture is out this summer. That will be an interesting game with a nice change of pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Kerbal space program coming to ps4, brilliant game.

Could we lock this thread before it becomes a PC vs console debate? I mean, e3 is finished and any discussions can be continued within their own individual threads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Could we lock this thread before it becomes a PC vs console debate? I mean, e3 is finished and any discussions can be continued within their own individual threads.

E3 only started yesterday and finishes tomorrow. Officially.

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Personally, Microsoft's Hololens was the highlight of the entire thing. Incredible jump in technology. Can't wait to see what comes after it.

I'd actually like to see how that really works under real world conditions and not on a stage.

That is something I want to find out more about. I have a feeling it's not as impressive as it first appears if it is then that is a massive tech jump.

E3 only started yesterday and finishes tomorrow. Officially.

Haha, fine. But are there any more showcases? I thought the PC one was the last one.

Haha, fine. But are there any more showcases? I thought the PC one was the last one.

It is the last. It's all show floor demos now and you find the hidden gems that didn't make it to the stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

I'd actually like to see how that really works under real world conditions and not on a stage.

That is something I want to find out more about. I have a feeling it's not as impressive as it first appears if it is then that is a massive tech jump.

It will have more uses in business and design etc. Don't be getting hopes up for home stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

If you think ms had a better e3 overall than sony do you mean conference or overall??

Because personally I think other conferences announcing the sony console exlusives (SHENMUE 3) means sony did better overall

I chose MS ahead of Sony because it was more focused on this year. I actually own a PS4 too tbh.
    Sony were hazy with Media Molecule and Guerrilla Games stuff.
    Shenmue 3 and FF VII are waaaay off, 2017...ish :(
    (I wasn't impressed with the kickstarter funding, back it or don't Sony tbh. If they researched they would have found there was a demand for it.)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,251 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Kerbal space program coming to ps4, brilliant game.

Holy crap didn't know that

ERG89 wrote: »
    I chose MS ahead of Sony because it was more focused on this year. I actually own a PS4 too tbh.
    Sony were hazy with Media Molecule and Guerrilla Games stuff.
    Shenmue 3 and FF VII are waaaay off, 2017...ish :(
    (I wasn't impressed with the kickstarter funding, back it or don't Sony tbh. If they researched they would have found there was a demand for it.)

they are ****ing in probably close to 100m. That's backing it.
    Star ocean . Cannot wait for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,534 ✭✭✭✭Varik

EoinHef wrote: »
    There are plenty of exclusives on PC,strange that seems to come up a bit. Im sure its that they just dont get the media coverage console games do. LoL and Dota 2 are huge now,with players in the millions. Counter Strike,Arma,Total War games,Civ games etc are another few off the top of my head. Id stick in Star Citizen as well but thats not finished

On piracy,it would be silly to think devs dont put some thought into how it affects PC sales. And id say its a factor in making consoles their lead platform. But as PC exclusive games have proven currently and in the past piracy is not a barrier to being successful on PC as a platform. Make a good game and its easier than ever for people to get the game at a decent price without pirating.

The openness of the platform ensures that there'll be exclusive game.

I'd say the price or perceived value of games on pc effects developers more that piracy. They've got a much longer sales life but any case.

Market trends on pc have diverged a lot from console, some of the more

• Registered Users Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I have to say I am embarrassed for Sony bringing up the developer of SHENMUE 3 and asking other people to fund the game.

That was the biggest low I have ever seen at E3.

I don't even class it has being Sony plus point for its E3 conference since they wouldn't fund it themselves and of course it's coming to PC so it's not even an exclusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,204 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Gamers have themselves to blame for that sort of thing to be honest. The companies will try whatever they think they can get away with and this looks like it's working out pretty well for them, how much money have people thrown at them for that already? The people who buy into that crap are the ones to blame.

I have to say I am embarrassed for Sony bringing up the developer of SHENMUE 3 and asking other people to fund the game.

I don't even class it has being Sony plus point for its E3 conference since they wouldn't fund it themselves and of course it's coming to PC so it's not even an exclusive.

It's a console exclusive as Sony are funding it themselves and helping with the development.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Well they are partially funding it. They have said as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

they are ****ing in probably close to 100m. That's backing it.

Then don't do a kickstarter at all :confused:...really came across as a mixed message especially as people know that Shenmue's budget was $70m why fund $2m.
    Same with it coming to PC and not other systems makes me think they are more passionate about keeping it a console exclusive than anything

MadYaker wrote: »
    , how much money have people thrown at them for that already? The people who buy into that crap are the ones to blame.

The flip side to that coin is that if people didn't show support it probably would never get made.

Look how many years fans have been asking SE for a remake to FF7.

I'd happily back any kickstarter to have a game I really wanted made that is not a mainstream title.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

How could you forget this classic:

xbox_one_don_mattrick_31197.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Just out of curiosity, would pirating be a factor when it comes to companies not being as well to produce content solely for the PC?

I don't have any hard and fast figures, but I'd say so. I remember reading a university study on video game piracy that suggested it was far more widespread on PC than on other platforms.

When you consider a game like GTAV, with a reported development cost north of (it think it was) $270 million. Think of how many copies need to be sold to recoup that cost. The PC is not going to do that for you, but both consoles and the PC? It just makes sense.

Kirby wrote: »
    Well they are partially funding it. They have said as much.
    Yet Sony had to go on stage with a cup in hand begging gamers to fund it.

SHENMUE 3's kickstarter is almost at 3 million now. Sony must be delighted with themselves. They won't have to put a penny in.

ERG89 wrote: »
    Then don't do a kickstarter at all :confused:...really came across as a mixed message especially as people know that Shenmue's budget was $70m why fund $2m.
    Same with it coming to PC and not other systems makes me think they are more passionate about keeping it a console exclusive than anything

All the petition, take my money post, or # twitter campaigns are meaningless.

This is a carsh upfront preorder and proof of demand for orher investors.

How could you forget this classic:

xbox_one_don_mattrick_31197.jpg
    To me what Sony did was lower than that. At least Microsoft didn't come out at any E3 with a cup in hand and beg gamers to fund a Halo Kickstarter lol

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

SHENMUE 3's kickstarter is almost at 3 million now. Sony must be delighted with themselves. They won't have to put a penny in.

3 million wouldn't come close to funding a title on the scale of a modern Shenmue.

You're actually embarrassing at this stage failsafe, either your fanboyism or trolling, can't figure out which

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Thats how you build hype. They werent going cap in hand....merely announcing it to the world. And letting the fans feel like they are contributing. It's a win win. And 3 million wont fund the entire game. Sony are clearly footing most of the bill.

Talk of 100 million is complete fantasy land. That simply isnt going to happen and its not needed in todays climate where you can simply license an existing engine....which is what they'll do. Namely the Unreal 4 engine. But they still need a sunstantial wedge.

I'd guess that the kickstarter will stop at around 5 million and Sony will contribute another 15.

3m isn't funding this game, the majority is coming from traditional sources.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

And he is off....

Advertisement