Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super E3 2015 - General Discussion Turbo Redux Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

I don't have any hard and fast figures, but I'd say so. I remember reading a university study on video game piracy that suggested it was far more widespread on PC than on other platforms.

When you consider a game like GTAV, with a reported development cost north of (it think it was) $270 million. Think of how many copies need to be sold to recoup that cost. The PC is not going to do that for you, but both consoles and the PC? It just makes sense.

They made that back in a day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

It was pretty obvious shenmue was never gonna made on 2m, or 10m even.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

What MS said was stay with us and we will screw you over every which way. It's out way or the high way. Then Sony came along and forced their hand, MS were not expecting that and were left very red faced. Then the sales figures just hammered it home and the result was MS at E3 this year, changed their tune completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

They made that back in a day

On console, not on PC, which is my point. Publishers expect to at least double their outlay on a title or it is considered a commercial failure. The lifetime sales of GTAV on PC alone won't double that.

The PC version sold around 2 million copies in the first month. The console version sold more than 11 million in the first day.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Lets talk about e3 2015 please. Like the title says. Not what happened years ago. It just devolves into bickering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Sony are listening to what people want which is why they've brought Shenmue 3 to the table and recusitated Last Guardian.
    I dont see either game being huge sellers but at least they are getting behind them.

Kirby wrote: »
    Lets talk about e3 2015 please. Like the title says. Not what happened years ago. It just devolves into bickering.

I don't spend much time around here, but I'm not bickering. I don't have a dog in the race, I like both PC and consoles for different reasons. I just think it's an interesting discussion.

On console, not on PC, which is my point. Publishers expect to at least double their outlay on a title or it is considered a commercial failure. The lifetime sales of GTAV on PC alone won't double that.

The PC version sold around 2 million copies in the first month. The console version sold more than 11 million in the first day.

Which is what happens when you have seperate release dates nearly 2 years apart, I bought it on the 360 but you can bet your ass if they were launched all on the same day a **** load would of got it on pc not consoles

• Registered Users Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

So if Sony are puring millions into SHENMUE 3 already why did they come out begging gamers for millions.

It should be pointed out that we have no idea how much money Sony is putting into it.

They should have just made an announcement saying we're behind this 100% and you can enjoy it when it comes in 2017 on PS4 & PC.
    Nothing says we are uncertain than asking for Kickstarter money.

You have to admit if it had of been Microsoft you'd all think it was low.

So if Sony are puring millions into SHENMUE 3 already why did they come out begging gamers for millions.

It should be pointed out that we have no idea how much money Sony is putting into it.

They should have just made an announcement saying we're behind this 100% and you can enjoy it when it comes in 2017 on PS4 & PC.
    Nothing says we are uncertain than asking for Kickstarter money.

You have to admit if it had of been Microsoft you'd all think it was low.

Yeah what are they like seeing is the market there. Scumbags.

• Advertisement

Which is what happens when you have seperate release dates nearly 2 years apart, I bought it on the 360 but you can bet your ass if they were launched all on the same day a **** load would of got it on pc not consoles

For sure, I'll grant you that if it had been a PC exclusive first, followed by a console release later, the figures would be different. You'd even have had lapsed PC gamers rushing out to buy new machines just to get it. But do you really think it would have done 11+ million in 24 hours? I don't.

Regardless, the risk of piracy on PC, whether perceived or actual, scares developers away from doing this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Sony are listening to what people want which is why they've brought Shenmue 3 to the table and recusitated Last Guardian.
    I dont see either game being huge sellers but at least they are getting behind them.

This! I'be surprised if either of these games make it into the top 10 when they are released.

For sure, I'll grant you that if it had been a PC exclusive first, followed by a console release later, the figures would be different. You'd even have had lapsed PC gamers rushing out to buy new machines just to get it. But do you really think it would have done 11+ million in 24 hours? I don't.

Regardless, the risk of piracy on PC, whether perceived or actual, scares developers away from doing this.

Not 11 million but 7 million? easily. Then it'd sell a **** ton on consoles also as console gamers wont buy/build a pc to play a game. But plenty of pc gamers have consoles.

Yeah what are they like seeing is the market there. Scumbags.
    If they didn't know the market was there they are seriously incompetent.

It doesn't take millions upon millions to gauge what gamers want.

If they didn't know the market was there they are seriously incompetent.

It doesn't take millions upon millions to gauge what gamers want.

and here's the beauty, if the market wasnt there, everyone who donated would of gotten the money back, now people have the game for 29 dollars.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

and here's the beauty, if the market wasnt there, everyone who donated would of gotten the money back, now people have the game for 29 dollars.

So now it's not a Win-Win.... it's a Win-Win-Win.... Win

Cormac... wrote: »
    So now it's not a Win-Win.... it's a Win-Win-Win.... Win

Small loss down to the exchange rate, although I'm paying €26 for Shenmue 3, woohooo.

We'll get it for $30 on PC anyway.

It's just a shame. I hate to see fans of an amazing franchise being taken by Sony for millions.

Sony should have stood up proudly and said we are 100% behind this. There was no need for the Kick Starter. It's sad when we see a power house like Sony afraid to back something FULLY that everyone knows would be amazing.

Anyways... Will people please start funding my Forza 7 kick starter. When it hits 5 million raised Microsoft will get behind it.

We'll get it for $30 on PC anyway.

It's just a shame. I hate to see fans of an amazing franchise being taken by Sony for millions.

Sony should have stood up proudly and said we are 100% behind this. There was no need for the Kick Starter. It's sad when we see a power house like Sony afraid to back something FULLY that everyone knows would be amazing.

Anyways... Will people please start funding my Forza 7 kick starter. When it hits 5 million raised Microsoft will get behind it.

sure no problem, just off you go to get microsofts permission to use the licence and what not, then all the car companies, should be simple enough after all your name is connected to forza in such a strong way

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

How would people feel when Shenmue 3 is complete and it launches as a PS Plus game for that month after donating?

• Advertisement

Why didn't Microsoft fund it anyway considering they had Shenmue 2 on the Xbox.

rizzla wrote: »
    How would people feel when Shenmue 3 is complete and it launches as a PS Plus game for that month after donating?

Same way I'd feel about most other wild speculation....

Wildly ambivalent

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Did Persona 5 get a shout at the Sony show, can't find much more new info on it.

Same way I'd feel about most other wild speculation....

Wildly ambivalent

My reasoning was because Massive Chalice was funded on Kickstarter but was a Games with Gold. It's not unheard of.

My reasoning was because Massive Chalice was funded on Kickstarter but was a Games with Gold. It's not unheard of.

You still get the game... others still get the game....

Unless your train of thought is that you don't want others to play it given they haven't paid donated

It's not common.and the budgets of the games will be nowhere near the same

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I too find it distasteful that a brand the size of Sony would use Kickstarter to do it's market research and even more so that they'd do it on the main stage of E3 - I dunno, it just doesn't seem quite right to me.

I still have a Dreamcast and Shenmue at home, I never played it, looks like I'll have to see if I can power it all up and get it working on a modern LCD screen :)

You still get the game... others still get the game....

Unless your train of thought is that you don't want others to play it given they haven't paid donated

I have no problem, just curious. I would like it to happen to see what the general reaction is.

I'm looking forward to playing it though.

I have no problem, just curious. I would like it to happen to see what the general reaction is

Some people just want to see the world burn.... :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

The Shenmue thing feels like an experiment on their part to find out just how pissed off or receptive people would be to the idea.The majority of fan reaction will give them the information they want.If what they did does no damage to their sales then it'll likely happen again.I think it will happen again considering how many people are throwing money at them.
    Followed most of the goings on here and it was gas.If I play one game from everything on display it'll be Cuphead,that's the only game I seen and felt I will need to play it when it's released (don't play much anymore).

Advertisement