Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super E3 2015 - General Discussion Turbo Redux Edition

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Wii U has some quality games for the rest of the year, happy as larry. Obviously the future is kinda bleak, but presumably the NX is out by the end of 2016, and lots of great games to come. 3DS has stuff to end the year with, and stuff for 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

So...

The Legend of Zelda still coming to Wii U.

We still don't know what Retro Studios are working on.

In the meantime we have this chart of forthcoming Nintendo releases.

I think we'll live.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 franc0

cloud493 wrote: »
    Wii U has some quality games for the rest of the year, happy as larry. Obviously the future is kinda bleak, but presumably the NX is out by the end of 2016, and lots of great games to come. 3DS has stuff to end the year with, and stuff for 2016.

What would be the point in releasing the NX next year if it will suffer the same fate as the Wii U? You see this is what I'm talking about. A lot of Nintendo fans just seem to think that as soon as the next console launches all will be rosey in the garden. That attitude is laughable.

How is the NX any different from the Wii U? Will it differ when it comes to beefy hardware? Nope - that is not Nintendo's way. You see, who in the right mind is going to have their head turned by an NX even if it does (doubtfully) turn out to be as powerful as the XB1 at the very minimum? Why would anyone choose the NX when the other consoles will have far greater libraries? And why would anyone care about the NX in 2016 or 2017 if in 2018 or 2019 all the thunder will be stolen by the PS5 and XB2? It just doesn't make any sense.

Nintendo don't have third party support and even if they release a beefy piece of hardware they still won't have their support. The game is up. What Nintendo mean by third party support does not equate Call of Duty or Assassin's Creed. It means mobile games, android games. Because that's the only part of the market that will even bother with them anymore.

So no, I'd like to see where your optimism is coming from but there is nothing to be excited about when it comes to Nintendo's future.

I don't think anyone said its gonna be rosy, but the fact that software is shifting to the NX is undeniable.

Was the Wii U bungled somewhat? Yes. But it has more quality games than any other home console right now. You seem quite determined to rag on nintendo for a new user.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,251 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Anyway..........Xenoblade chronicles is coming to wii u on December 3rd, I'll more than likely invest in one if I can afford it.

• Advertisement

Xenoblade, starfox, yoshi's wooly world, and Mario maker isn't a bad line up. Of course I'd have liked zelda this year, but if they need to take their time with it, so be it.

edit - cos you aren't biased at all Franc0, obviously :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Anyway..........Xenoblade chronicles is coming to wii u on December 3rd, I'll more than likely invest in one if I can afford it.

Far to many games are releasing on the Wii U in the first week of December, gonna be broke for Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Xenoblade, starfox, yoshi's wooly world, and Mario maker isn't a bad line up. Of course I'd have liked zelda this year, but if they need to take their time with it, so be it.

Not bad.... but not good either..... very middling to be fair

Cormac... wrote: »
    Not bad.... but not good either..... very middling to be fair

That would be why I said 'not bad' and not 'OMFG WHAT AN AMAZING LINE UP' :P

Plus, nintendo could do a direct anytime they want, we don't know whats in store so to speak.

JRPG's don't really interest me to be honest but to each his own.

I thought Nintendo was so Japanese centric. It just doesn't resonate with me and if you're to look at the number, it doesn't grab a lot of other Westerners either. Strange considering that the Japanese console market is practically dead and the West are literally keeping it afloat you'd be inclined to believe that Nintendo would be accommodating us?

In any event, I'd think it was just Nintendo being a Japanese company if Sony weren't located just down the road from them in Tokyo pushing out games that are attractive to the West - The Last Guardian etc, Konami putting out Metal Gear Solid, From Software putting out Bloodborne, Square Enix putting out Hitman and Deus Ex, Tomb Raider and Just Cause - there's obviously a lot of talent in Japan but Nintendo just don't seem to make much games that are appealing to the West.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I can see Nintendo eventually going the way of Sega and getting out of the hardware business.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

I can see Nintendo eventually going the way of Sega and getting out of the hardware business.

Not a chance :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

They'll still be making hardware long after Microsoft and Sony quit the game I reckon…

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Mario pachinko incoming.

I'd be inclined to say the same thing and to be honest I think it would be the best thing they could do at this point.

The fans that were first introduced to Mario back in the 80's and 90's are now in their 20's and 30's. In the 80's and 90's consoles and computer games were looked upon as a toy for children. Very few adults participated in contrast with today. What parents looked for in a purchase back in 1985 is totally different than that of today. It's no longer just about what is suitable to entertain the kids for a few hours, it's about what is going to entertain the children plus you as a gamer and when you enter a store as a consumer the Wii U is instantly swept aside in favour of Microsoft or Sony where both you and your kids can gain something from.

Nintendo have forgotten about it's 30 year old fans. They haven't made new adult themed IP and the franchises they have evolved over the years such as Mario is constricted within such a limited framework that there is so little they can do with him to really innovate and push the boundaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Its really hard to know in the long run what'll happen, I never thought I'd see sega fall, but we all know how that played out.

It'd be a real pity, I'm not a Nintendo fan myself, But the time period when they were going head to head with the Sega Megadrive holds a place in my heart. I'd love to see them come out with a console on par with or even more powerful than a ps4 / xb1. If they could win back the support of the 3rd party developers and maintain their first party and original IP's they'd be unstoppable. If anything they seem to be held back by rigid japanese business thinking.

Cormac... wrote: »
    Not a chance :pac:
    The most valuable thing Nintendo have is their IPs.

Licensing the games to someone like Sony who have a giant slice of the console pie and Nintendo will be golden. I don't get why they keep fighting to get a share of the console market.

Nintendo made a positive step forward when they announced that their games will be coming to mobile devices. When they see the benefit of licensing their software this way I'd say the hardware will get the chop.

I genuinely don't believe they should release Starfox in 2015. I think they should push it back because what was shown yesterday was, well......just tragic. Particularly considering what an indie developer can do on a shoestring budget with No Man's Sky being released pretty soon. Starfox is going to be eaten alive this year given what Sony and Microsoft have coming down the line that when the dust has settled and people look at the numbers - Starfox will have sold so little that we probably won't see it again for another 10 years.

Even Nintendo Life - all of whom have a financial incentive to applaud even if Reggie came on stage, squatted and clipped off a chocolate steamer - have said the game just isn't good. Here's a quote from them. You can Google it yourself.
    I couldn't help but notice something that I genuinely wish I didn't have to speak up about, but would be remiss if I didn't mention: the graphics are simply not good. A game like Star Fox certainly does not need to look incredible (but yet, imagine Star Fox with the bravado of a game like Journey, Lost Planet, or even Mass Effect), but the water effects and textures look as if they were pulled straight out of a GameCube title. In fact, they look worse. Nintendo ought to be, at the very least, concerned that it's not matching its previous console Star Fox outing in visuals, which was released two console generations ago.

Oddly enough, and as far as I could tell, all the dialogue was directly lifted from Star Fox 64.After I saved the day and brought the demo to a close, my Nintendo rep asked for my honest opinion. I shiftily told him it was interesting. He laughed and said that was an "interesting" choice of words, which prompted guilt for not really answering as he had asked. I hope I can take him at his word; whether Star Fox Zero is a game forced to exist in this half-baked state due to a thin cupboard of flagship Nintendo titles for E3, or whether this game is actually headed down a poor path, is yet to really be seen. What we saw today, however, is not Star Fox at its best. And even though it's comforting to finally be back in that cockpit and hear that amazing music, Star Fox needs a far better re-imagination than this.

Mario Maker is a concept that has existed for 30 years on PC. In fact, you can design your own Mario levels for nearly three decades. Yoshi's Woolly World looked interesting but in reality following that E3 it just looks like a poor man's Unravel.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

So how about that E3... right?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,383 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Right folks, enough of the format war guff. From now on this thread is about E3 stuff, and E3 stuff only. Anything else will be swiftly deleted. Simple as that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

So hyped for dooms multiplayer. Alot of arena fps games are making their way back

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

So hyped for dooms multiplayer. Alot of arena fps games are making their way back

Looking forward to it as well, never had a fondness for modern FPS games, but have always loved the likes of Quake, Doom, Unreal ect

Right folks, enough of the format war guff. From now on this thread is about E3 stuff, and E3 stuff only. Anything else will be swiftly deleted. Simple as that.

Said like a true PC Master Race Ninty Xbone Sony Fanboy…

• Registered Users Posts: 55,500 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Sorry I'm late. Hi Dayum, Bye Dayum.

So,

What time is the E3 Microsoft Victory speech at??

w39zEOj.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

danny767 wrote: »
    Wow, what a sad state of affairs. long time lurker, first time poster. what kind of a forum is this where you have mods and admins banning users just because they simply don't agree with them?

You're allowed disagree. You aren't allowed drag a thread off topic. Besides, we are all bored to tears of the PC vs Sony vs MS debate.

You're allowed disagree. You aren't allowed drag a thread off topic. Besides, we are all bored to tears of the PC vs Sony vs MS debate.

Poor Nintendo. Never gets a look in…

You see I've gone over the last few pages and I see nothing about PC vs console debates.....

Hi there Dayum/franc0.

Anyway. MS had a really good conference, I'm psyched for most of them games they showed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,218 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Wow, what a sad state of affairs. long time lurker, first time poster. what kind of a forum is this where you have mods and admins banning users just because they simply don't agree with them?

Oh look a franc0 rereg.

Bye bye!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,251 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Bethesda won it for me ,Wasn't too impressed with the rest of them, I was over the moon when they announced FO4 would release in November :D

Advertisement