Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super E3 2015 - General Discussion Turbo Redux Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

You're allowed disagree. You aren't allowed drag a thread off topic. Besides, we are all bored to tears of the PC vs Sony vs MS debate.

Yeah, especially now that PC is the clear and unquestionably better platform. So, where were we? Ah yes, all I want to see at GamesCom (to follow on from a great E3) is Remedy to announce a Kickstarter for Alan Wake 2 and Microsoft to announced Quantum Break is coming to PC :D

Praise GabeN, long may he reign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Aye, fallout has cheered up a somewhat bland Q4. But gears, rare collection, halo, tombraider, thats my jam :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

cloud493 wrote: »
    Anyway. MS had a really good conference, I'm psyched for most of them games they showed.

Cough, cough. You can't say that. You have to say that you enjoyed all the presentations and that all of them are special in their own way.

You can only hate on those Game Trailers fellas - those guys are dicks.

Cough, cough. You can't say that. You have to say that you enjoyed all the presentations and that all of them are special in their own way.

You can only hate on those Game Trailers fellas - those guys are dicks.

Oh they all did. My favourite was sony, but I don't think any of them had a bad conference*, theres loads to be psyched for.

* I'm not counting squares conference, cos with the exception of a small gameplay snippet, it wasn't much cop.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,383 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Listen, I know it can be incredibly tempting to respond to an obvious troll (especially now that we have a resident one), but it's so much more helpful for everyone to not do so. Report the post, and we'll get around to it as quickly as we can (we are human, so it might not be immediately ;)). Responding only feeds into exactly what said poster wants, and regrettably drags the thread off course. Just resist the urge to engage, and if you must type something type out a quick reported post :)

Anyway, resume regularly scheduled programming!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Xenji wrote: »
    Looking forward to it as well, never had a fondness for modern FPS games, but have always loved the likes of Quake, Doom, Unreal ect

Yup! You're probably aware there's a UT4 alpha out at the moment. If not hop over to https://forums.unrealtournament.com to grab it :)

You`ll need a forum account

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

regardless of who 'won', theres been enough announced to keep my wallet empty for the foreseeable future.

cuphead looks really good, its a pity I'm so crap at those bullet hell type shooters, I'll probably never see more than the 1st two levels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

It's a wonder why the uncharted collection wasn't shown off

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    It's a wonder why the uncharted collection wasn't shown off

They talked about it a wee bit off the conference stage, but no gameplay yet

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Just going by E3 and I have a long watch/to buy list as a result.

In no particular order.
    Fallout 4
    Shenmue 3
    Star Wars Battlefront
    Mirror's Edge
    FF7 remake
    Hitman
    Mass Effect Andromeda
    Unravel
    Ghost Recon
    Deus Ex
    Dark Souls 3.

Not too shabby E3'15, not bad at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I am starting to think that there should be some E3 criteria for showing games.

(e.g) Games that launch within 12 months of E3.

It would keep all the shows on their toes to make sure they have something to show that is out in a few months.

It seems like every year at E3 we are seeing games that won't be launched for 3 years or more.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,383 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I've said this before, but I really think people underestimate how long it takes to make a AAA game in 2015. Tentpole releases are increasingly significant and costly undertakings, so that's why we're seeing fewer titles and more delays. The more elaborate and technically sophisticated games become, the harder they are to get right. And, given the cost associated with the big name sequels or franchise starters, it's no surprise whatsoever publishers are stretching out the 'hype' time / marketing budgets in order to firmly make an impression long before the game itself is actually released. I reckon many publishers genuinely don't think it's feasible to announce games without a 'long tail' of publicity.

Still holding out hope Valve will stealth launch Half Life 3 on Steam some evening though for ****s and giggles :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I've said this before, but I really think people underestimate how long it takes to make a AAA game in 2015. Tentpole releases are increasingly significant and costly undertakings, so that's why we're seeing fewer titles and more delays. The more elaborate and technically sophisticated games become, the harder they are to get right. And, given the cost associated with the big name sequels or franchise starters, it's no surprise whatsoever publishers are stretching out the 'hype' time / marketing budgets in order to firmly make an impression long before the game itself is actually released.
    It takes about 3-5 years.

I find it tiring to see announcements for games that are coming years later. It builds unnecessary hype way too soon which has the potential to backfire.

I think if you have been building a game for 3 years start E3 in your last year and do your marketing from there. Show what you got and the customer only has to wait anywhere up to 12 months.

No mans sky is now in its 3rd E3 show with very little extra known about the game.

I think massive hype for games that are coming out years later is one of the bad things in the industry at the moment.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I agree , games like Kerbal Space Program are amazing type indie games. But I have to admit I love just turning on a console and it working without having to update drivers etc.

When's the last time you used a computer? :) I'm not trying to troll you, but Windows has been taking care of all that automatically since Windows 7 came out almost 6 years ago.

Hell even Steam will do it for you too because it understands that beta drivers for brand new games are a necessity.

So this "I don't understand drivers" nonsense needs to go away and die and besides, it's not exactly rocket science to understand the basics of how a computer's OS works.

And having seen consoles and console games on this gen and the last taking at least 3 times longer to update than any equivalent PC update (XBox, I'm looking at you in particular, the service is consistent, but shockingly slow in comparison to Steam or Origin). The PS3 had a fecking update almost every week, what is it you think they were updating? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

I'd have to agree.

Fallout 4 has made me the most excited about a game in a LONNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGG time.

If they had have said it wasn't coming for another 2-3 years I would be sickened. Wouldn't be able to get excited at all and by the time the game came I'd probably be over it.

But thankfully that's not the case for my beautiful Fallout :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

cuphead looks really good, its a pity I'm so crap at those bullet hell type shooters, I'll probably never see more than the 1st two levels.

That game looks amazing. That'd be one of the first games I'd buy on Xbox. Along with Ashen.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

It is what E3 has always been though, they reveal games that will be out in 2-3 years and hype the big releases for the coming months, games we saw 2-3 years ago previously revealed, they will not break the cycle.

It is always nice though to see something like Fallout 4 though and there should be more of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭Pedro Monscooch

I've said this before, but I really think people underestimate how long it takes to make a AAA game in 2015...

100% true. If only more games were unveiled like Fallout 4 though: a huge game only 5 months away. Shenmue III is super exciting having finished the others, but December 2017 is such a long way away.

I do find it a bit hard to take "there's not that many games".

If you are talking solely exclusives than that I can agree with but there have been a load of games released this year. I won't even get into the indies since a lot of people don't seem to count them.

But if you are someone who plays a lot of games, I'd be pretty surprised if you haven't enjoyed a few 2015 games or are looking forward to one later this year.

Top of my head that's come out:

Dying Light
    Ori
    Bloodborne
    Pillars of Eternity
    The Witcher
    Project Cars
    Resident Evil HD
    Life is Strange
    The Witcher 3
    Evolve

Rest of the year:
    Batman
    MGS
    Mad Max
    Just Cause
    Star Fox
    Halo
    Until Dawn
    Tearaway
    Super Mario Tennis
    Fallout 4
    Hitman
    and so on

I've just left it there as this post is already too long. The point is.. surely you have your pick as it is.

If anything the issue now is there are so many games. I've invested a huge amount of time into the likes of The Witcher 3 and Bloodborne and I know it'll be the same with Batman and MGS.

No one else thinks the same?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I wasn't expecting to see a playable version of The Last Guardian so am pretty confident it could be out by 2016. Similar to Bloodborne

• Advertisement

RasTa wrote: »
    I wasn't expecting to see a playable version of The Last Guardian so am pretty confident it could be out by 2016. Similar to Bloodborne

I'd be surprised if it was early in the year like Bloodborne.

If I was betting, Uncharted will release in Feb/March and TLG would be closer to Sept/October I reckon.

tok9 wrote: »
    If anything the issue now is there are so many games.
    Three of my most wanted games come out on the same day- November 10th: Fallout 4, Rise Of The Tomb Raider and Star Wars Battlefront. It's an embarrassment of riches.

Three of my most wanted games come out on the same day- November 10th: Fallout 4, Rise Of The Tomb Raider and Star Wars Battlefront. It's an embarrassment of riches.

Battlefront is out November 17th.

But still such a close time period. Was looking forward to Tomb Raider & Battlefront but they'll definitely have to wait now :D

Battlefront is the 10th too? My god that's ridiculous.

I'd be shocked if both Tomb Raider and Battlefront don't move.

Edit: Ah seen the above post. That leaves Tomb Raider. I'd honestly move it into early December if I was them.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

That's a first world problems meme right there.

Battlefront is available a week early through EA Access albeit for a set amount of hours (six, usually). This is the first year I'm skipping Call Of Duty, releasing on the 6th.

Battlefront is available a week early through EA Access albeit for a set amount of hours (six, usually). This is the first year I'm skipping Call Of Duty, releasing on the 6th.

Aye, but not general release.

I'd say it will be 10 hours like Hardline was tbh.

But Fallout 4 is out so ain't nobody got time for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I'm reserving judgement on COD, mainly on the strenght of treyarchs previous games, but I'm a bit disappointed that it's so similar to advanced warfare

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,218 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I have to hand this E3 to Sony despite having the worst conference of the three since there was a severe lack of exclusives. Microsoft did well and backwards compatibility is a huge plus for me since it means I can retire my 360. Nintendo had no stand out games we hadn't seen already but what they did show looked like a lot of fun.

Sony kind of won it for me outside their press conference. Especially after the Square Enix one. They've picked up a lot of third party exclusives from Japanese studios that complement their own offerings.
    I agree , games like Kerbal Space Program are amazing type indie games. But I have to admit I love just turning on a console and it working without having to update drivers etc.

I love turning on my PC not having to wait 30+ minutes for mandatory updates to install before I can play games or use the machines features. Consoles are becoming more like PC's these days, except more like PC's from the 90's because my PC takes care off all the drivers in the background.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »

I love turning on my PC not having to wait 30+ minutes for mandatory updates to install before I can play games or use the machines features. Consoles are becoming more like PC's these days, except more like PC's from the 90's because my PC takes care off all the drivers in the background.

My Xbox One automatically installs any system or/& game updates whilst in standby mode.

My PC doesn't do them until I turn it on so for me there's waiting on PC but not XB1.

Advertisement