Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super E3 2015 - General Discussion Turbo Redux Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

Comparing the marketing of No Man's Sky to Fallout is pointless. Fallout 4 can afford to be announced this close to release, in fact the rumour mill has been doing the work of the marketing team for the last year leading up to this point.

No Man's Sky has used word of mouth and mystery to build up expectation for the last 2 years. New IP's such as a game like Sea of Thieves need this momentum to be built from the ground up.

And speaking of marketing the Shenmue 3 Kickstarer malarkey was a pure marketing stunt. 2 million is nothing for a game like that so to paint it like 'begging' is a joke. Expect a lot of wanky marketing terms like 'grassroots movement' to be used in its marketing to make it seem like a game made by fans for fans. It was greenlit long before that target was even announced.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,218 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    My Xbox One automatically installs any system or/& game updates whilst in standby mode.

My PC doesn't do them until I turn it on so for me there's waiting on PC but not XB1.

Good to know at least MS aren't as useless as Sony and Nintendo in that regard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Good to know at least MS aren't as useless as Sony and Nintendo in that regard.

I think you're just useless as you can also do it with the PS3+PS4 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Microsoft did well and backwards compatibility is a huge plus for me since it means I can retire my 360.

Do you really think you can retire your 360 now?

They offered backwards compatibility with the OG Xbox and the 360 and just stopped doing it after a while. Some games were done but later removed because of bugs. In the end they got only managed half of the games to be backwards compatible.

And the library is about 1/3 the size of the 360 library. Do you think they'll get more than half done this time?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,382 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I reckon DoDonPachi SaiDaiOuJou won't be top of the backwards compatibility priority list :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

I reckon DoDonPachi SaiDaiOuJou won't be top of the backwards compatibility priority list :(

Wow I honestly thought you were making up the name of that game there lol...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Ctrl Alt Delete

Shiminay wrote: »
    When's the last time you used a computer? :) I'm not trying to troll you, but Windows has been taking care of all that automatically since Windows 7 came out almost 6 years ago.

I've actually a Degree in Computer Science so I think it would be safe to say I have the requisite knowledge to do what I need to do.

It still doesn't change the fact that I find it a pain in the arse to do it when I'm trying to chill and game.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Ok, so you're not making any sense. Consoles need driver updates just as much as PCs and they are delivered and installed by the exact same method (the OS pings an update service and it then delivers whatever it sees is missing). So given that you have 100% control over how and when your PC updates itself and I believe the newer consoles do the same thing now (I don't own one), how is it the PC's fault that you're not allowing it to do system updates?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

NRluS9q.png

• Registered Users Posts: 23,160 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

RasTa wrote: »
    NRluS9q.png

State of them. Cartoon assholes being happy and shít.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Keno wrote: »
    Do you really think you can retire your 360 now?

They offered backwards compatibility with the OG Xbox and the 360 and just stopped doing it after a while. Some games were done but later removed because of bugs. In the end they got only managed half of the games to be backwards compatible.

And the library is about 1/3 the size of the 360 library. Do you think they'll get more than half done this time?

That's my thinking too, pretty sure Sony were the same with PS3 where they just stopped supporting it on new machines.

I feel only a small percentage of console owners will actually use it, and is probably one of the reasons why MS and Sony stop doing it on the previous consoles. Fair play to MS though, it's a good feature to have, just not sure it'll be used by many people.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Benzino wrote: »
    I feel only a small percentage of console owners will actually use it, and is probably one of the reasons why MS and Sony stop doing it on the previous consoles.

Sure they'd rather sell people HD remakes or remasters....whatever they call them these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,160 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Things are looking grim for Beyond Good & Evil 2...
    The latest news came from GameSpot news editor Tamoor Hussain, who briefly talked about the project during a video about the then-upcoming Ubisoft press conference.

“I did some investigating on this,” said Hussain. “I wasn’t able to confirm this [for a news story]. I’ve never talked about this before. The problem I had was [that] it didn’t become a news story because I didn’t corroborate it enough to get it out there. But I’ve been told it’s been abandoned—in a big way. The studio has moved on. The key people from that studio that were making it moved onto other projects outside of Ubisoft. Like I said, I might be wrong on that, but I had enough of it to chase that small lead.”

cwnoQOE.gif

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,218 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Everytime I turn my PS3 on it's gotta do a million updates. To be fair though, I rarely boot it up. But they take quite a long time to download and install, longer than any windows, steam or game update combined (in that order). Then I go to access the youtube app and that has to update, too! (performed like crap in the end after all that, friends weren't impressed)

I dunno why everyone's so confused about this. A properly set up PC will outdo a console in system boot and game launching times. But is it really about all this 'have to wait for updates' stuff? I mean if your time is that valuable you're losing huge chunks of time from console load screens alone. I've also never waited for a game to update before playing it on PC. Not once. They seem to do so automatically in the background and are usually fast about it. I really don't know what hassle people seem to be going through. You'd swear they were having to code the drivers themselves and install them manually via a disc or something.

Consoles are faster at first-time setup... which is not much considering one may be using the platform for years to come.

If by useless you mean not willing to shell out €49.99 a year for the privilege...
    ERG89 wrote: »
    Sure they'd rather sell people HD remakes or remasters....whatever they call them these days.

Pretty much. People playing their old games does not bring in money. But MC doing anything about letting people be able to play their older games on current hardware is a big step in the right direction. The only issue is just not having all the games... mainly the exclusive ones. That is of course only if you can play them from disc. If it's just the games on the XBL store then this is barely even news to be honest.

I also wonder what will online support be like? Would you still be able to play Tekken against 360 users? That would be even cooler. I've played Resident Evil Outbreak on my PC via emulation online alongside PS2 users. It's great to tear down the barriers of platform choice like that and just get to the damn gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

From what i remember they said online would be intact for the backward compatible games. Only got to see there conference this morning. Pretty sure they said once the game is supported you can insert the game disc and it'll auto download the game and can play it. Bit i think it would have to have been supported,100 titles by the end of the year was the quote i think.

Welcome move imo,personally i dont hold onto old games or consoles but for people who do its a nice bonus

IGN's list of currently compatible games:

A Kingdom for Keflings
    A World of Keflings
    Alien Hominid HD
    Banjo-Kazooie
    Banjo-Tooie
    BattleBlock Theater
    Defense Grid
    Geometry Wars Evolved
    Hexic HD
    Jetpac Refuelled
    Kameo
    Mass Effect
    N+
    Perfect Dark
    Perfect Dark Zero
    Small Arms
    Super Meat Boy
    Toy Soldiers
    Toy Soldiers: Cold War
    Viva Piñata
    Viva Piñata: TIP
    Zuma

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

J. Marston wrote: »
    Worst E3 ever.

Sure aren't the majority of people who worked on Beyond Good and Evil(Michel Ancel?) working on Wild?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

tok9 wrote: »
    Sure aren't the majority of people who worked on Beyond Good and Evil(Michel Ancel?) working on Wild?

I think Ubi have slightly back tracked on this, see here.

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/news/news-16515-E3-2015--Is-Michel-Ancel-Still-Working-on-Beyond-Good---Evil-2--[Update--Yes-].html

Still, I don't think this looks good for the game at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 petepaterson

Something i don't think is right is the way both sony and microsoft don't see pc as a competitor and it results in the pc guys laughing all the way to the bank.

for example, ori and the blind forest was an xbox one exclusive but also on the pc.

this E3 really was the realisation of that. PC is getting xbox one exclusive games such as the Gears of War remastered collection, killer instinct, cuphead and now microsofts Larry Hryb is tweeting that there is talk of the Halo master chief collection being released on PC early next year. playstation get none of this. but the playstation exclusives such as Shenmue 3, the final fantasy 7 remake, street fighter 5 and No Mans Sky will also be on PC.

i just feel it's unfair. if we have invested in either platform then surely we are purchasing these exclusives? so why are they being let launch on PC too? aren't pc people getting an unfair advantage by swallowing up both console exclusives? they have the best of both worlds. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

If I get to eat a delicious bacon sandwich, and someone else across me also gets to eat a delicious bacon sandwich, then not only are we both getting something great, his enjoyment of this tasty treat doesn't take away from my enjoyment of it :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Something i don't think is right is the way both sony and microsoft don't see pc as a competitor and it results in the pc guys laughing all the way to the bank.

for example, ori and the blind forest was an xbox one exclusive but also on the pc.

this E3 really was the realisation of that. PC is getting xbox one exclusive games such as the Gears of War remastered collection, killer instinct, cuphead and now microsofts Larry Hryb is tweeting that there is talk of the Halo master chief collection being released on PC early next year. playstation get none of this. but the playstation exclusives such as Shenmue 3, the final fantasy 7 remake, street fighter 5 and No Mans Sky will also be on PC.

i just feel it's unfair. if we have invested in either platform then surely we are purchasing these exclusives? so why are they being let launch on PC too? aren't pc people getting an unfair advantage by swallowing up both console exclusives? they have the best of both worlds. :(

Sounds to me like a good reason to invest in a PC.

I have a PS4 for things like FIFA and the odd exclusive that I want, such as TLOU. PC for everything else. There's very little on Xbox that I can't get on one of the others, and even less that I care about, so I'm sorted.

You can hook yourself up with a cheap gaming PC for very little. Plug it into the TV and use your Xbox controller or whatever. Job done.

(Plus you then have access to the thousands of indie titles that are only available on PC, some of which are wonderful)

Lol?

So the lesson once again is that the pc is, as has always been, the superior platform :p

Nonsense aside (and it's nonsense folks, I'm not being super serious), the money involved in this industry means they (the devs) can't afford not to sell to the millions of pc players.

Sony and Microsoft are in competition with each other and no one else is getting a look in in that fight (Nintendo fans suck it up, your console does not register in this fight). They're too busy locking their competition out rather than worrying about the pc players who were never going to be a potential sale anyway.

cloud493 wrote: »
    If I get to eat a delicious bacon sandwich, and someone else across me also gets to eat a delicious bacon sandwich, then not only are we both getting something great, his enjoyment of this tasty treat doesn't take away from my enjoyment of it :pac:

This. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 petepaterson

Shiminay wrote: »
    Lol?

So the lesson once again is that the pc is, as has always been, the superior platform :p

Nonsense aside (and it's nonsense folks, I'm not being super serious), the money involved in this industry means they (the devs) can't afford not to sell to the millions of pc players.

Sony and Microsoft are in competition with each other and no one else is getting a look in in that fight (Nintendo fans suck it up, your console does not register in this fight). They're too busy locking their competition out rather than worrying about the pc players who were never going to be a potential sale anyway.

I've always wondered about this....if nintendo went 3rd party (not physically distribute but digital) and cut a deal with one of the consoles (would never be sony so let's assume microsoft) to put the Nintendo App on the Xbox One storefront full of Nintendo games I'm sure they could blackmail a huge amount of money out of Microsoft on an annual basis. it seems the days of old where hardware manufacturers held the power of what and whatnot to put on their platforms are gone and now the power if firmly in the hands of the software developers. if this is the case and EA, Activision or ubisoft see this then couldn't they also blackmail the hardware manufacturers into putting all their releases on one sole console as exclusives for say a year or two?

perhaps the old days of exclusivity mattering during the n64/ps1 era will come back in a big way.

Going first party is far more lucrative in the long run since you avoid license fees. Even with the small install base Nintendo WiiU games have a massive sell through rate of 50+% of the consoles install base. A Nintendo app or whatever the feck you that that would be would cheapen Nintendos IP (their most valuable commodity), see them lose massive amounts of profit to license fees and reduce sales in a huge way. It's not like Nintendo need to anyway since things are looking rosy for them and they are back to making big profits.

Going first party is far more lucrative in the long run since you avoid license fees. Even with the small install base Nintendo WiiU games have a massive sell through rate of 50+% of the consoles install base. A Nintendo app or whatever the feck you that that would be would cheapen Nintendos IP (their most valuable commodity), see them lose massive amounts of profit to license fees and reduce sales in a huge way. It's not like Nintendo need to anyway since things are looking rosy for them and they are back to making big profits.

Would the WiiU not have far fewer games released vs other platforms though ? I don't know I don't much keep up with nintendo these days but would it not contribute to the selltrough rate at least in part in that , fewer releases would make folks more inclined to pick up something when it does come out :confused:

Jesus

Would the WiiU not have far fewer games released vs other platforms though ? I don't know I don't much keep up with nintendo these days but would it not contribute to the selltrough rate at least in part in that , fewer releases would make folks more inclined to pick up something when it does come out :confused:

It's just a phenomenon with Nintendo games. With a few exceptions they always sell through as a huge percentage of the customer base. Stuff like New Super Mario Bros on the Wii outsold most of the Call of Duty games for instance. It's not just because it's on a system with a small install base since it's been like that since the NES. It's a combination of having a rabbid fanbase, producing the highest quality software nearly everytime and making software that appeals to all ages thus capturing a massive demograph.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Having read through the last couple of pages, I think I have a way of making E3 more entertaining in the future. Basically the Heads of the Nintendo, Playstation and Xbox should be put into an arena to fight to the death and however wins gets to release all the exclusives for the coming calendar year.

The PC master race will look on mockingly from the stands…

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

So, Nintendo to win E3 2016!
    Super Mario Sunshine 2
    Zelda
    Metroid
    FZero
    Gex
    Legend of the Dragoon 2, an NX exclusive!

Advertisement