Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super E3 2015 - General Discussion Turbo Redux Edition

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,251 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Legend of the Dragoon 2, an NX exclusive!

That would top fallout 4 and ff7 remake for me tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's just a phenomenon with Nintendo games. With a few exceptions they always sell through as a huge percentage of the customer base. Stuff like New Super Mario Bros on the Wii outsold most of the Call of Duty games for instance.

Do you mean Super Mario Bros on Wii sold more than COD on Wii? Surely it didn't outsell COD multiplatform.

I think it depends on the IP also. The attach rate on Wii was pretty awful if I remember right. I remember Skyward Sword only sold about 3 million copies and you'd think that would be one of nintendo's biggest franchises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

tok9 wrote: »
    Do you mean Super Mario Bros on Wii sold more than COD on Wii? Surely it didn't outsell COD multiplatform.

I think it depends on the IP also. The attach rate on Wii was pretty awful if I remember right. I remember Skyward Sword only sold about 3 million copies and you'd think that would be one of nintendo's biggest franchises.

As far as I can tell, the most any of the CoD games sold was Modern Warfare 3 with 26,500,000, Super Mario Bros on the Wii sold 27,990,000.

Just on Skyward Sword, you needed the Wii Motion Plus controller to be able to play so maybe that had an effect on its sales.

http://www.statisticbrain.com/call-of-duty-franchise-game-sales-statistics/

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/35076/new-super-mario-bros-wii/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,217 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

tok9 wrote: »

No, it outsold Call of Duty multiplatform. Nearly 30 million copies were sold according to Wikipedia. Reggie said that it would out sell CoD MW2 at the time. We all laughed, so did I. However it's a bloody fantastic platformer up there with the classics like Mario World and it. A lot of Nintendo games are slow burners in terms of sales. Most games make the majority of sales in the first month then vanish. NSMB Wii had an extended period of high sales, it's still selling now afterall. In the end it did outsell MW2 by quite a margin. Nintendo are in it for the long run and know their games hold their sales potential and value for longer which is why you don't see them being discounted unless they are a total sales disaster like Other M.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

the most any of the CoD games sold was Modern Warfare 3 with 26,500,000,

Because MW1/MW2 were so good.

• Advertisement

Wow, that's actually ridiculously impressive. I wish the likes of Galaxy, Metroid, Donkey Kong etc sold that much. Those are the ones I'd love more of!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Nintendo is, as you said Retro, a phenomenon. They exist in this weird pocket reality where a significant enough number of their fans buy enough of their first party stuff and they simply don't need to worry about the rest of the games industry. It's not the sort of thing you could plan for, but it's an interesting place to be.

I don't see them getting out of the hardware business, they're the undisputed masters of the dedicated mobile/portable gaming device and they keep their stationary/tv consoles affordable and quirky and since the inception of the first Wii, they said "we're going to be your second console and you're going to have us for fun party games and first party stuff" and it worked. That said, every single person I know who bought a Wii said it sat gathering dust after 6 months and never got a look in unless a significant first party game came out. Simply said, I think they're too good at hardware to not succeed with it at this stage I think :) I don't ever recall hearing of issues like the RROD or the Yellow Light affecting a Nintendo product either. Curious to see what the NX brings.

They know their target audience extremely well (having trained them to behave in certain ways) and they're not gonna risk the golden goose :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,217 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Galaxy and Donkey Kong sold really well as well but NSMB Wii was a sales monster. Just the brand recognition and how it's so accessible for anyone meant it had universal appeal. There's still people out there that don't want to adjust to 3D gaming, my girlfriend for instance just can't get her head around twin stick/keyboard and mouse, so it appeals to everyone really.

Taylor365 wrote: »
    Because MW1/MW2 were so good.

Honestly wasn't commenting on the quality of MW3, just comparing the two sales wise.

So, Nintendo to win E3 2016!
    Super Mario Sunshine 2
    Zelda
    Metroid
    FZero
    Gex
    Legend of the Dragoon 2, an NX exclusive!

I would elaborate on Metroid
    Not the Metroid I wanted

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I have a sneaking suspicion we will get another direct in August.

Bear in mind in 2012, Nintendo unveiled both the 3DS XL and NSMB 2 only 2 weeks (I think) after an underwhelming E3.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

This is not the Metroid you are looking for...
    Move along...

In fact, wasn't the Zelda we were looking for either.

All the speculation about Twilight Princess and so on, turns out there was really nothing.
    Nintendo seem to have come up with almost nothing this year and I can't help but feel disappointed.

I don't have a gaming PC but the PS4 lineup looks great and I can see one or two good reasons to pick up an Xbox One by Christmas.

This is not the Metroid you are looking for...
    Move along...

In fact, wasn't the Zelda we were looking for either.

All the speculation about Twilight Princess and so on, turns out there was really nothing.
    Nintendo seem to have come up with almost nothing this year and I can't help but feel disappointed.

I don't have a gaming PC but the PS4 lineup looks great and I can see one or two good reasons to pick up an Xbox One by Christmas.

Hard to do so when fans have been crying out for a proper Metroid game for so long

Unless the NX is out early 2017, I can see myself buying doing the same thing I did with the Wii.

Buy it in pretty much it's last year and pick up all the great games (bar Xenoblade :( )

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

If the NX is announced for a Christmas 2016 release with a new Zelda title I'd say I'll be there on day one.
    Thing is,
    Might this also have a knock on effect on the 3DS, seeing as a replacement portable device might be part of an integrated home/handheld format.
    I wonder, is the 3DS ready to be replaced?
    Has the New 3DS range added enough to keep the format current or is it ripe for a HD update?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Nintendo need to be careful about when they announce the NX, they have quite a few games coming out between now and Christmas that could sell a few more consoles, people might hold off buying a Wii U if they know the NX could be out next year, although if we do not see the NX next Christmas, going by how Nintendo like to release consoles these days, it will be Christmas 2017.

Well what they did show may not be mind blowing but what they did show you can gaurantee will be great. They showed far more actual exclusives than Sony and MS, even if most weren't going to set the world on fire. Also as mentioned Nintendo kind of operate differently from the rest of the industry. Japan is the boss and doesn't really see E3 as a big deal. They could announce and show off a massive new game in a direct and it could be out in less than 6 months. Then again they might not.

Also a lot fo people are ignoring SMT X FE. Nintendo showed a lot of gameplay off and it looks fantastic. Some of Atlus's best talent is behind it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Ctrl Alt Delete

Something i don't think is right is the way both sony and microsoft don't see pc as a competitor and it results in the pc guys laughing all the way to the bank.

for example, ori and the blind forest was an xbox one exclusive but also on the pc.
    (

Surely you can see Microsoft s plan here? The Xbox One OS is going to.be updated to Windows 10 and DX 12 also.

One singular OS for developing and porting will massively expand the Xbox librady and leave Sony standing in terms of a lot of their offerings.

The Occulus partnership is a massive sign of that also

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

That's it in a nutshell. MS is going to use Windows 10 to bring all it's gaming under one big umbrella, Xbox and the old games for windows concept.

They are holding out on VR after burning themselves twice with Kinect and will go with whichever VR headset brand wins out, as again that will be PC and Xbox together.

That's it in a nutshell. MS is going to use Windows 10 to bring all it's gaming under one big umbrella, Xbox and the old games for windows concept.

They are holding out on VR after burning themselves twice with Kinect and will go with whichever VR headset brand wins out, as again that will be PC and Xbox together.

Exactly MS always did seem to have the marathon / long road approach this gen (even if they did get a bit ahead of themselves at launch)

While MS lost the console sales race the one massive advantage they have over anyone is the Windows OS. By now having mobiles, consoles and PCs running on the exact same OS (Core / Kernel wise) they have finally flexed that one big massive muscle to try close the console games gap by shutting Sony out as much as possible.

I'm 100% positive within the next 2 E3s the term Xbox exclusive will be replaced with the words Windows exclusive

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 petepaterson

why are people so aggressively against nintendo going third party? bethesda is worshipped with their ip's - fallout, the elder scrolls, doom, wolfenstein, hell i even read that this very website was formed because of quake.... nintendo leaving the hardware space is not the end of the world in fact it would be good for them to pull down the paywall they have in place to play their games. is it just that they dont want to pay microsoft for the licensing royalty fees of putting a game on their system? because im sure microsoft would be willing to waiver that for the opportunity to get a leg up on sony.

why are people so aggressively against nintendo going third party? bethesda is worshipped with their ip's - fallout, the elder scrolls, doom, wolfenstein, hell i even read that this very website was formed because of quake.... nintendo leaving the hardware space is not the end of the world in fact it would be good for them to pull down the paywall they have in place to play their games. is it just that they dont want to pay microsoft for the licensing royalty fees of putting a game on their system? because im sure microsoft would be willing to waiver that for the opportunity to get a leg up on sony.

They make a very healthy profit, have massive cash reserves and a pretty rabid fan base. Why would they possibly be tempted to give up making hardware to go third party when there is absolutely no need for them to do that.

why are people so aggressively against nintendo going third party?

I'd love to know why as well. Personally I'd love to be have games available on every platform with no exclusives so we can all play games that we want to but that won't be happening anytime soon

They make a very healthy profit, have massive cash reserves and a pretty rabid fan base. Why would they possibly be tempted to give up making hardware to go third party when there is absolutely no need for them to do that.

?????? of course there is. nintendo are in the business of making money and they arent making a lot of money lately. now maybe im crazy but surely you would want to get your product into the hands of 100+ million people instead of limiting yourself to the wii u's 10?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Isn't the 3DS making them millions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I'm 100% positive within the next 2 E3s the term Xbox exclusive will be replaced with the words Windows exclusive

They don't really have that many games bar Forza, Halo, Gears to say that.

Xenji wrote: »
    Nintendo need to be careful about when they announce the NX, they have quite a few games coming out between now and Christmas that could sell a few more consoles, people might hold off buying a Wii U if they know the NX could be out next year, although if we do not see the NX next Christmas, going by how Nintendo like to release consoles these days, it will be Christmas 2017.

They really don't need to be careful.

No matter what game they release, it will not have a huge impact on sales especially when people already know they are planning to release a new console in the next 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Hardware is probably the most profitless part of gaming. It takes gigantic amounts of money to move significant amounts of units.

By removing the manufacturing and sale of hardware they reduce expenditure and increase profits by opening their games to a larger audience such as the 20.2 million PS4 owners.

Nintendo have just recently licensed their IP's to mobile devices. In my opinion when they see the benefits of this method they might consider leaving the console market.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

RasTa wrote: »
    They don't really have that many games bar Forza, Halo, Gears to say that.

Crackdown, Scalebound and Quantum Break too (They are a mile better now than last gen for exclusives I know as I had a 360 :o) and I wish they'd have remedy make another Alan Wake tho :(

As far as Fire Emblem X SMT goes Nintendo played a very colourful Japanese language trailer which went over a lot of heads on their direct

• Advertisement

RasTa wrote: »
    Isn't the 3DS making them millions?

short answer, no. long answer, the 3ds has not sold anything remotely like the original ds. the dedicated handheld market is dying, even in japan which has traditionally been it's largest market, as people move over to games on mobile smartphones. the market for nintendo hardware is dwindling. but they would be very successful if they removed the hardware noose from around their neck and concentrated on software for other systems and mobile.

Advertisement