Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super E3 2015 - General Discussion Turbo Redux Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

ERG89 wrote: »
    Crackdown, Scalebound and Quantum Break too (They are a mile better now than last gen for exclusives I know as I had a 360 :o) and I wish they'd have remedy make another Alan Wake tho :(

As far as Fire Emblem X SMT goes Nintendo played a very colourful Japanese language trailer which went over a lot of heads on their direct

Dont forget fable....

oh wait, nobody gives a sh1t about fable...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭RedXIV

?????? of course there is. nintendo are in the business of making money and they arent making a lot of money lately. now maybe im crazy but surely you would want to get your product into the hands of 100+ million people instead of limiting yourself to the wii u's 10?

That WAS true but is no longer the case, they are moving back to profitability now. And its worth remembering that Nintendo are pioneers of innovation. Lets not kid ourselves, we can admit the Wii U hasn't been a raving success but that is just the last home console they released. Before that they had the Wii which was an incredible success. Gamecube before that was again, not fantastically recieved but prior to that, the N64 was massively popular.

So it's pretty normal in their lifecycle to move from an underwhelming console to an incredible one, so lets not revoke their hardware licence just yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Hello,

I'm the token "Can we get back to talking about E3 now" post that is scheduled.

See you all again in 10 pages time

Good day now my good sirs :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 petepaterson

Hardware is probably the most profitless part of gaming. It takes gigantic amounts of money to move significant amounts of units.

By removing the manufacturing and sale of hardware they reduce expenditure and increase profits by opening their games to a larger audience such as the 20.2 million PS4 owners.

Nintendo have just recently licensed their IP's to mobile devices. In my opinion when they see the benefits of this method they might consider leaving the console market.

+1. there is absolutely no money in console hardware anymore. microsoft had to piss away billions to even get their foot in the door initially and sony was selling playstations at an incredible loss. in fact this has been the console business model for quite some time now. sell hardware at a loss and make up the difference in licensing fees. the money in hardware is so low that is primarily the reason you dont see a google console, an amazon consoles or an apple console. theres just so little money involved.

Cormac... wrote: »
    Hello,

I'm the token "Can we get back to talking about E3 now" post that is scheduled.

See you all again in 10 pages time

Good day now my good sirs :pac:

but aren't we talking about what'll be at future E3's? :D

i dont know what we'll do in ten years time when theres only 1 platform that plays all games. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

+1. there is absolutely no money in console hardware anymore. microsoft had to piss away billions to even get their foot in the door initially and sony was selling playstations at an incredible loss. in fact this has been the console business model for quite some time now. sell hardware at a loss and make up the difference in licensing fees. the money in hardware is so low that is primarily the reason you dont see a google console, an amazon consoles or an apple console. theres just so little money involved.

So why don't the people running the Playstation or Xbox divisions just drop making consoles and concentrate making games for Nintendo? The combined sales of all their consoles would easily make them the bigggest hardware producer out there.

i dont know what we'll do in ten years time when theres only 1 platform that plays all games. :pac:

A wild, but very subtlety camouflaged PCMR post appears! :eek:

but aren't we talking about what'll be at future E3's? :D

We'll be fighting about what is the proper finger technique when manipulating the holograms you're playing with. You'll obviously be favouring the Pacino technique…

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Dont forget fable....

oh wait, nobody gives a sh1t about fable...

I can't quite put my finger on what went wrong with Fable III but I really enjoyed II its no Witcher but it was fun.
    Fable The Journey was a misstep then the new game Legends looks a further departure still....

RedXIV wrote: »
    That WAS true but is no longer the case, they are moving back to profitability now. And its worth remembering that Nintendo are pioneers of innovation. Lets not kid ourselves, we can admit the Wii U hasn't been a raving success but that is just the last home console they released. Before that they had the Wii which was an incredible success. Gamecube before that was again, not fantastically recieved but prior to that, the N64 was massively popular.

So it's pretty normal in their lifecycle to move from an underwhelming console to an incredible one, so lets not revoke their hardware licence just yet!

actually the n64 was not successful and neither was the gamecube. in fact with the exception of the wii each nintendo hardware has sold less than the last. the wii was a phenomenon. they got to the market first with the motion craze and rode the wave. it was of course just a gimmicky phase and even though it sold 100 millions units the games sold for it overall were terrible which means people were buying it and after a few months letting it gather dust in the bottom of a wardrobe. i would exactly say nintendo have been pioneers of innovation by choosing to remain with cartridges when sony was using CD's. in fact sony has become increasingly westernised over the last 30 years moving the emphases to america and europe while nintendo are still under a japanese cultural business philosophy of no risk. if they made games for other systems they would be very successful indeed.

• Advertisement

Cormac... wrote: »
    A wild, but very subtlety camouflaged PCMR post appears! :eek:

Nah, we'll have a star trek holodeck by then.

So why don't the people running the Playstation or Xbox divisions just drop making consoles and concentrate making games for Nintendo? The combined sales of all their consoles would easily make them the bigggest hardware producer out there.

playstation is the only division keeping sony afloat right now thats why theyre pouring so much energy and focus into it. the last guardian, shenmue, final fantasy 7 remake? they're literally one E3 away from handing out free money at this point. theres so much resources being poured into the playstation division right now. the playstation and xbox are more successful than nintendo so why would they drop out of the market before nintendo?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,364 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

why are people so aggressively against nintendo going third party?

We aren't against it just stating reasons why it would be a stupid move for Nintendo to go third party. The potential profits for a third party company are limited to software sales which take a massive cut when you factor in licensing fees. As a hardware manufacturer you don't pay a license fee, get potential steady income from third party licensees and also potentially from hardware once cost drops. Nintendo aren't stupid you know and they aren't staying in the hardware business because they are stubborn. They are a publically run company and like money as much as any other publically run company. Once you go third party you lose control and lose toones of potential profit avenues.
    nintendo are in the business of making money and they arent making a lot of money lately. now maybe im crazy but surely you would want to get your product into the hands of 100+ million people instead of limiting yourself to the wii u's 10?

Nintendo posted a few losses, it's not the end of the world. They've also returned to profit as well. That's a fact you can't debunk. Sony and the MS games division are in much worse financial situations. Also no game sells 100+ million. Usually you will sell 5m for a very successful product. If you factor in licensing cost then the profit you make is less than a first party game without a licensing fee.
    By removing the manufacturing and sale of hardware they reduce expenditure and increase profits by opening their games to a larger audience such as the 20.2 million PS4 owners.

Just because the Playstation has 20 million users doesn't mean 20 million will buy your game, it will be much lower. Also the audience is much different. On Nintendo consoles Nintendo have a much higher attach rate with their own titles. It might seem strange but by keeping to their own system they are making far more sales than the vast majority of third party games. Something like Mario Kart 8 on WiiU is posting sales that most third party publishers would kill for and thats to a customer base of 8 million. Also what you lose in manufacturing costs you make back in licensing fees and gain back again once manufacturing costs drop. It's a bit of a gamble if you get to that state but thats business.
    in fact with the exception of the wii each nintendo hardware has sold less than the last.

That's ignoring the Wii, the DS (the second best selling console of all time) the GBA and the 3DS (not posting DS figures but hugely successful all the same and it's kind of hard to follow up what is nearly the best selling console of all time). Ignoring variables like that is what staticians call bull****.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Nintendo posted a few losses, it's not the end of the world. They've also returned to profit as well. That's a fact you can't debunk. Sony and the MS games division are in much worse financial situations. Also no game sells 100+ million. Usually you will sell 5m for a very successful product. If you factor in licensing cost then the profit you make is less than a first party game without a licensing fee.

That's ignoring the Wii, the DS (the second best selling console of all time) the GBA and the 3DS (not posting DS figures but hugely successful all the same and it's kind of hard to follow up what is nearly the best selling console of all time). Ignoring variables like that is what staticians call bull****.

im not ignoring the wii at all sure i said the wii in my post. nevertheless the 3ds, the ds and gameboys are not home consoles they're handhelds but in any event even theyre on a slippery slope with the 3ds not selling as well as the ds and the ds not selling as well as the gameboys. furthermore, do you not think its a bit of a stretch to call the wii "nearly the best selling console of all time" when the PS2 outsold it by 54+ million? hardly neck and neck....

also i don't think anyone has argued that every single individual with a ps4 or an xbox one will buy a nintendo game - that much is clear. what is being argued is that theyre limiting themselves to the small number of wii u owners when they could potentially be offering their products to an audience of 100+ million when you take into consideration the ps4/xbox one/pc and mobile consumers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

im not ignoring the wii at all sure i said the wii in my post. nevertheless the 3ds, the ds and gameboys are not home consoles they're handhelds but in any event even theyre on a slippery slope with the 3ds not selling as well as the ds and the ds not selling as well as the gameboys. furthermore, do you not think its a bit of a stretch to call the wii "nearly the best selling console of all time" when the PS2 outsold it by 54+ million? hardly neck and neck....

also i don't think anyone has argued that every single individual with a ps4 or an xbox one will buy a nintendo game - that much is clear. what is being argued is that theyre limiting themselves to the small number of wii u owners when they could potentially be offering their products to an audience of 100+ million when you take into consideration the ps4/xbox one/pc and mobile consumers.

Well, you didn't say 'portable consoles and home consoles' you said 'hardware' and the DS outsold the gameboy, and is the second best selling console of all time so, get your facts right maybe.

cloud493 wrote: »
    Well, you didn't say 'portable consoles and home consoles' you said 'hardware' and the DS outsold the gameboy, and is the second best selling console of all time so, get your facts right maybe.

the gameboys are at 120m and 81m. making the gameboys 200+million units sold. the ds is only at 150m. and if we're talking about home consoles then the PS2 and PS1 are the two top tier consoles. the majority of people wouldn't include handhelds to be "consoles" which is what im referring to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Ctrl Alt Delete

RasTa wrote: »
    They don't really have that many games bar Forza, Halo, Gears to say that.

Your looking at it completely the wrong way around.

the gameboys are at 120m and 81m. making the gameboys 200+million units sold. the ds is only at 150m. and if we're talking about home consoles then the PS2 and PS1 are the two top tier consoles. the majority of people wouldn't include handhelds to be "consoles" which is what im referring to.

That's three generations of Gameboy/Colour Gameboy/Gameboy. Two generations of the DS/3DS has the same combined sales.

You mean two separate consoles?

You wanna go down that road, 52 million 3DS have been sold, and that makes 200m+ sold as well.

Playstation 3 is coming out next year lads and it's gonna blow all the other consoles out of the water

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

This isn't another Nintendo vs the world thread. Back on topic please.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I've just been listening to a bunch of impressions and closed demo.

The Last Guardian sounds closer to Ico than SOTC.

For Honor is really good and runs really well already. I loved the look of that game so definitely interested to hear more.

Beyond Eyes sounds like an emotional game, similar vain to journey, Gone Home etc. Should be out pretty soon as it was given a summer release.

Uncharted 4 demo is apparently incredible and continues on from where the conference left off.

No Man's Sky is basically Minecraft/Terraria in space. That's probably doing it a bit of a disservice but what I'm essentially saying is if you're looking for a linear experience, this game is not for you. It's all about exploring and doing what you want really.

That's all I remember off the top of my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Yeah hang on let me go make 10 alt accounts to start discussing with myself.... brb.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

At E3 Reggie Fils-Aime of Nintendo just said VR is horrible.

Well, that settles it then.

Hi Dayum, Bye Dayum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Can you IP ban users. Getting sick of that clown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭Pedro Monscooch

While it was the best E3 for me in years, there were some games I was hoping to see at E3: Titanfall 2, Splinter Cell, Telltale's Minecraft, Beyond Good and Evil, certain Valve games, Silent Hills (:(), Twilight Princess remaster, Metroid, Mario Galaxy 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I was actually sure we'd see a Splinter Cell and Super Mario Galaxy this year.

tok9 wrote: »
    I was actually sure we'd see a Splinter Cell and Super Mario Galaxy this year.

I thought we'd see a HD remastering of galaxy, or a N3DS version.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

12,000 signatures already to cancel Metroid Prime: Federation Force.

https://www.change.org/p/nintendo-petition-for-cancelation-of-metroid-prime-federation-force

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

:rolleyes:

Advertisement