Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super E3 2015 - General Discussion Turbo Redux Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

That is one of the most pathetic things I've ever seen. I'd be ashamed to have signed that petition.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

If the game is bad when it comes out it's one thing, but signing a petition for something that has not even been released yet, is just sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭erkifino

The various political petitions should really put that in perspective...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Ctrl Alt Delete

Seems like the petition has been removed by the website, in fairness Nintendo does have form for fearing the internet

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Seems like the petition has been removed by the website, in fairness Nintendo does have form for fearing the internet

It is still there unfortunately, this is the summery of why they do not want it.
    What we got however is a disgrace of a game with the name "Metroid" slapped on the title. It has no elements at all of what Metroid is about and its a disrespectful manner to old and new fans of the series of showing them that the Metroid franchise is not dead afterall. This is not the Metroid we asked Nintendo to make. We should let Nintendo know what we really think of the game and make them actually LISTEN to their fans for once. Help us stop this atrocity of a game from bearing the beloved Metroid franchise name and make Nintendo halt production on it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,364 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Anyone remember the petition to cancel Wind Waker because the cartoon visuals looked awful and should be dark and realistic. Same **** here.

Autumn release date for The Tomorrow Children. Look like one bizarre game that I'd like to know more about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Fans never know what they want. I'm not too keen on the new metroid game myself, but I haven't played it yet, and at least it proves they're thinking about the franchise.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

cloud493 wrote: »
    Fans never know what they want. I'm not too keen on the new metroid game myself, but I haven't played it yet, and at least it proves they're thinking about the franchise.

They should have made a 2D game for the DS/3DS by now its a sin they still haven't in 10 years but I just won't buy the new game. Same with The Zelda games they showed it just doesn't interest me but I'll voice my opinion by just not buying it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Your looking at it completely the wrong way around.

What way should I be looking at it? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Ctrl Alt Delete

RasTa wrote: »
    What way should I be looking at it? :confused:

It's not for Xbox games going to PC it's the PC games going to Xbox, it will also give MS a lot more sway with studios and publishers as they will have control of the biggest OS that games are developed for

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Every single person that signed that petition is a gob****e. Telling someone to stop creating something just because they're not making the exact thing you want them to make is the definition of entitlement.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I can understand the frustration felt by Metroid fans.
    We find ourselves having defended a format, which in light of it excellent software library probably didn't need such effort, but I guess the idea of a little lightweight multiplayer title for the 3DS, not even a part of the franchises story with cute visuals, it just bites and feels like a placeholder, along with the Zelda title.
    I have said before, elsewhere, that the artists and craftspeople owe the players nothing in terms of presenting their vision and letting us buy into it or not, but in this instance it just feels like busy work for some team and a way to fulfill "requirements" by having games with Zelda and Metroid in the title without having to spend much money at all, or effort.
    Next year we cry, next year all will be well, but that doesn't really change the apparent fact that 2015 into 2016 looks very bad for the WiiU.
    I already own the stellar exclusives for the platform, I had some hopes this would continue.
    Super Mario Maker might well be another must have, but that and Xenoblade X seem to all that's coming of note, Starfox looks pants and Yoshi will be here next week.

I guess its all a long winded way of saying we feel a bit devalued as customers and fans of Nintendo.
    They do trade on the love of their IPs from the people that buy them but the E3 this suggests a bit of a manipulation of that affection and a very poor year ahead indeed.

Sad Face

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Every single person that signed that petition is a gob****e. Telling someone to stop creating something just because they're not making the exact thing you want them to make is the definition of entitlement.

You are missing the point. Completely.

What they are doing is akin to making a football game and calling it "Halo: Master chief ball". It has absolutely nothing to do with halo. It's not a halo game.

It's not entitlement to express bewilderment and dissatisfaction. Exact thing? It's not even in the ball park. They just thought people would buy it if they stuck the word "Metroid" on the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭erkifino

Halo: Masterchief Ball.
    From kicking ass to kicking balls.

Metroid isn't even a big enough IP to sell games so if that's why they called it that.. they made a terrible call.

There's a reason we haven't seen a Metroid game like prime in a while... they don't sell. The series has never sold more than a few million.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

tok9 wrote: »
    Metroid isn't even a big enough IP to sell games so if that's why they called it that.. they made a terrible call.

There's a reason we haven't seen a Metroid game like prime in a while... they don't sell. The series has never sold more than a few million.

Neither had Dark souls. And yet....

There are some games that shift systems and bring critical acclaim. Metroid is one of them. Many people went out and bought a ps4 just for Bloodborne....and bloodbornes sales figures are pathetic compared to some of the bigger hits out there. It didnt even break 2 million. But people loved it, and it shifted ps4's.

Super metroid is still talked about as being one of the finest games ever made. The prime series was universally adored. Prime didnt sell well because it was on a doomed console. I love my cube but a viable competitor it was not. Metroid Prime 3 was released on the Wii, a successful console and sold much better. 1.5 million, and then more when the collection was released, and then even more when it was released on the e-shop.

A real Metroid game, made by a competent studio is what people expected. It's only right that people question it. Nintendo has admitted via social media that their nintendo direct missed the mark completely and that they have heard the fans complaints.

The prevailing theory is that they are putting their eggs into the NX basket....their next console. The reason we didnt see any Zelda at all is because it will be a launch title for the NX. No "new" mario for the same reason. Perhaps a proper metroid is in development?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,364 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Seems that way. Everything shown had been announced already. I'd say they are finishing off the last few WiiU titles in development while teams that have been freed up are working on NX.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Varik

What ever about metriod the #xboxorweriot stuff is retarded, thought PS getting the old cod deal that MS had was non news and pointless but a lor of people going ape **** over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I don't think we'll know a new Metroid is in development till its not too far from release, a few months or a year. They could be working on it right now and still lie to our faces about it being in development, like they did with majoras mask 3D.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Varik wrote: »
    What ever about metriod the #xboxorweriot stuff is retarded, thought PS getting the old cod deal that MS had was non news and pointless but a lor of people going ape **** over it.

I suppose if you make money from eSports it's going to be a huge deal for you. Aren't most of those tournaments over in the US played on the Xbox if they're being played on a console?

I suppose if you make money from eSports it's going to be a huge deal for you. Aren't most of those tournaments over in the US played on the Xbox if they're being played on a console?

Due to the COD and MLG deals yes, not sure how this effects MLG when they're still using Xbox exclusively.

Kirby wrote: »
    Neither had Dark souls. And yet....

There are some games that shift systems and bring critical acclaim. Metroid is one of them. Many people went out and bought a ps4 just for Bloodborne....and bloodbornes sales figures are pathetic compared to some of the bigger hits out there. It didnt even break 2 million. But people loved it, and it shifted ps4's.

Super metroid is still talked about as being one of the finest games ever made. The prime series was universally adored. Prime didnt sell well because it was on a doomed console. I love my cube but a viable competitor it was not. Metroid Prime 3 was released on the Wii, a successful console and sold much better. 1.5 million, and then more when the collection was released, and then even more when it was released on the e-shop.

A real Metroid game, made by a competent studio is what people expected. It's only right that people question it. Nintendo has admitted via social media that their nintendo direct missed the mark completely and that they have heard the fans complaints.

The prevailing theory is that they are putting their eggs into the NX basket....their next console. The reason we didnt see any Zelda at all is because it will be a launch title for the NX. No "new" mario for the same reason. Perhaps a proper metroid is in development?

Except your logic is backwards here. The souls brand has consistently improved on every game they have release while it's closer to the opposite with Metroid.

Metroid Sales History

I'm not sure how accurate this is but if you consider the amount of Wii's sold, those numbers for Metroid are really bad. A new Metroid might sell a few consoles sure but it's definitely not a system seller.

On Bloodborne, I'm not really sure I would count that as a system seller either. Again it probably sold a few units alright but the COD deal Sony have now is more likely to sell systems than Bloodborne did. Sure the majority of us don't care about it but it's not aimed at the majority of us.

Also where did you get the Bloodborne sales from? 2 million for a new IP on a console with an install base of 20 million sounds pretty decent to me.

Edit: I just want to state I'm not debating the quality of the game, I'm just emphasising some of the best games ever created don't sell that well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I was disappointed that Treyarch didn't go back to their roots and do a WWII shooter.

But no, the kiddies need their drones and 300 player kill streak.

The footage of Black Ops 3 looked really bad when compared to Black Ops 2.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Seems that way. Everything shown had been announced already. I'd say they are finishing off the last few WiiU titles in development while teams that have been freed up are working on NX.

I wonder if third parties have rolled in with NX development, including those who have up to now abandoned the brand, like EA?
    Hopefully we won't just see this years releases, like CODBO3 reheated for the console, not that I'll buy it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

I was disappointed that Treyarch didn't go back to their roots and do a WWII shooter.

I agree. What's old is new again.
    I'm yearning for a "simple" WW2 shooter. Loved the early CoDs and the simplicity of just jumping into a server and not having to worry about ranking up or perks.

I'm getting old :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Varik wrote: »
    Due to the COD and MLG deals yes, not sure how this effects MLG when they're still using Xbox exclusively.

Do MLG tournaments even use DLC maps?

Do MLG tournaments even use DLC maps?

No clue, Not really about the maps more about marketing in this case. MLG have a exclusivity deal with MS but how will Sony now having exclusive marketing rights for Cod effect this.

Came across this one earlier, Vampyr a new IP from DontNod.

Still 2 years away so very early days, but it is said to be an rpg, some more details on it here http://www.xboxachievements.com/news/news-21465-Life-is-Strange-Dev-Making-Vampire-RPG--Watch-the-Concept-Trailer-Here.html

• Advertisement

Seems like the absence of Metroid Prime 4 from the E3, along with anything else significant, is explained by this
    link
    It also suggests, that even if they do have high profile titles in development for a future Nintendo home console, they are prohibited completely from discussing it due to Nintendo saying it wouldn't be revealed at this E3.
    That's not to say that the next TGS or sooner won't deliver though.
    I wonder if that explains the relative quiet from Retro and other devs for Nintendo, their low profile at this E3.

Advertisement