Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

S05 Ep10 - "Mother's Mercy" - HAVE NOT READ THE BOOKS

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Does anyone remember the guy who came back to life in an earlier season? A mate of his brought him back and said it was the sixth time he died but loses something each time he comes back.

Does the Red woman know how to do this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    Does anyone remember the guy who came back to life in an earlier season? A mate of his brought him back and said it was the sixth time he died but loses something each time he comes back.

That was, I think, season 2. The character's name was Beric Dondarrion, and he did lose a little something after each resurrection.
    corcaigh07 wrote: »
    Does the Red woman know how to do this?

She didn't back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭mrkite77

conorhal wrote: »
    Good Jesus I nearly pissed myself laughing, 'you need bad pussy'.

She said it as she bit his ear... so my wife asked "does she mean he needs a pussy with teeth? Because we've seen that movie, it doesn't go well"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭tharmor

IT-Guy wrote:
    "You know nuthin Jon Snow"

You knew nothing Jon Snow :( !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

tharmor wrote: »
    You knew nothing Jon Snow :( !!

You know nuthin' zombie Jon Snow

Wasn't overly surprised that he got killed once the kid came into his office, I thought the kid would stab him from behind in a corridor or something once they left.

Does anyone else think the violence is beyond most things out there, including film... To a point where you think "wow this is actually unnecessarily gruesome for something so mainstream"... An odd angle on some of the violence wouldn't go astray its like Goodfellas violence every time.
    Wouldn't consider myself squeamish but I think they're pushing it maybe further than I want at times.
    Maybe its a selling point to others?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭kingshankly

That scene with Arya and the Meryn Trant. Oh, that was graphic. I was looking away for most of that.:o

Flower your watching the wrong show then

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

There is no way that Thion and Sansa could have survived a fall from that height even on to soft snow, hardly credible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

seligehgit wrote: »
    There is no way that Thion and Sansa could have survived a fall from that height even on to soft snow, hardly credible.

Maybe snow is different there? After all there is dragons, smoke monsters, wildfire, dragon glass and whitewalkers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

seligehgit wrote: »

http://www.newstalk.com/VIDEO:-GoPro-footage-shows-Russian-man-setting-himself-on-fire-and-jumping-off-a-building-into-snow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

The whole religious fanatics controlling kings landing doesn't sit well with me at all tbh. A bunch of lads in black robes with clubs can't just take the queen mother and lock her up. The king controls the bloody army ffs, in reality as soon as they tried to apprehend loras they would have been rounded up and executed immediately. The fact that the tyrells and the lannisters and the fecking king just sat idly by and let it happen is totally unrealistic.

MadYaker wrote: »
    The whole religious fanatics controlling kings landing doesn't sit well with me at all tbh. A bunch of lads in black robes with clubs can't just take the queen mother and lock her up. The king controls the bloody army ffs, in reality as soon as they tried to apprehend loras they would have been rounded up and executed immediately. The fact that the tyrells and the lannisters and the fecking king just sat idly by and let it happen is totally unrealistic.

Except the queen mother was the one who pointed them to Loras in the first place. She was quite happy to then see Margaery then arrested, and keep convincing the king that it wasn't his place to intervene. By the time she got arrested herself he'd given up on taking on the Faith Militant.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

'Kill the boy, Jon Snow. Winter is almost upon us. Kill the boy and let the man be born.'

Jon Snow has died and is now free of his oath to the Night's Watch.

He will return, but he will be changed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Trilla wrote: »
    Maybe snow is different there? After all there is dragons, smoke monsters, wildfire, dragon glass and whitewalkers

Maybe they land on the cliched trailer full of hay, dust themselves off and have Theon make a snappy quip :pac: Or have Jon Snow do a Bobby Ewing on it in the first episode next season!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

If you actually had an assertive and authoritative king instead of a child like Tommen in charge, then maybe they may have been rounded up and executed. But Cersei enabled them in the first place, and she's pretty much the one pulling the strings with Tommen. She didn't really care if they locked up Loras and Margaery, in fact she wanted them to, and Tommen's attempts to apprehend them were pretty pathetic. He went to them with the intention of ordering them to release his wife, but in the end kind of chickened out. I think the whole thing is just meant to show that basically Cersei let it get out of control and Tommen is not strong enough as a king to rein it back in. Tommen doesn't have someone like Tywin by his side to advise him of what to do, and it shows.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

The same thing struck me in Meereen. Every second lad there is a trained ninja assassin who wants Dany dead, after all she did for the all the slaves, who seemed to be the majority of the city? As in King's Landing, it's incredibly poorly explained how these mobs just take over the place for no apparent reason when things are seemingly as good as ever for the general population.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭xper

mzungu wrote: »
    Maybe they land on the cliched trailer full of hay, dust themselves off and have Theon make a snappy quip :pac: Or have Jon Snow do a Bobby Ewing on it in the first episode next season!
    Hey, if we're going there, let's have Cathlyn wake up in Winterfell and find Ned Stark in the shower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Pugzilla wrote: »
    'Kill the boy, Jon Snow. Winter is almost upon us. Kill the boy and let the man be born.'

Jon Snow has died and is now free of his oath to the Night's Watch.

He will return, but he will be changed.

I believe Jon 2.0 will lead the wildlings and re-take Winterfell, the red woman will walk along the keep as she foresaw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

I disagee with the comments about the Sparrows gaining so much control in Kings Landing. There is a void of real power there and Cersei enabled them to fill it quickly. This has backfired massively on her as they have the will of the people behind them now.

However, the Meereen stuff is a bit ridiculous. The threat/origin/motive of the Harpy group is too vague to be understood. Of all the story endings this season, Dany's is the weakest. Instead of making moves on Westeros (now with Tyrion at her side) she's back in the hands of the Dothraki miles from her kingdom & soldiers. It just feels like 2 steps forward, 5 seasons backward with her now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Bacchus wrote: »
    Instead of making moves on Westeros (now with Tyrion at her side) she's back in the hands of the Dothraki miles from her kingdom & soldiers.

Good luck finding another drogo to manipulate in that lot.

I'm thinking Captain Jorah friendzone and assassin manwhore are going to find her in a dothraki tent......in a lot worse shape then she finished this season in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Bacchus wrote: »
    I disagee with the comments about the Sparrows gaining so much control in Kings Landing. There is a void of real power there and Cersei enabled them to fill it quickly. This has backfired massively on her as they have the will of the people behind them now.

However, the Meereen stuff is a bit ridiculous. The threat/origin/motive of the Harpy group is too vague to be understood. Of all the story endings this season, Dany's is the weakest. Instead of making moves on Westeros (now with Tyrion at her side) she's back in the hands of the Dothraki miles from her kingdom & soldiers. It just feels like 2 steps forward, 5 seasons backward with her now.

Well it was assumed that the Sons of Harpy were represent of disgruntled wealthy families but then they stabbed Hizdar so they may or may not be. Its probably left a bit vague for a reason.

Few have talked about Varys here, you notice that Varys shows up at Mereen after the trouble has settled down a bit, Dany has disappeared and Mormont ( who knows him all too well) has gone. I am suspicious but only slightly.

xper wrote: »
    Hey, if we're going there, let's have Cathlyn wake up in Winterfell and find Ned Stark in the shower.
    Plausible. Except for Ned Stark taking a shower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Plausible. Except for Ned Stark taking a shower.

He'd be in one of the hot baths that Winterfell has.

lbj666 wrote: »
    Well it was assumed that the Sons of Harpy were represent of disgruntled wealthy families but then they stabbed Hizdar so they may or may not be. Its probably left a bit vague for a reason.
    I just don't get how there's so damned many of them! They can overwhelm the unsullied queen's guard.
    Are they mostly gladiators? They don't fight like pampered nobles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    The same thing struck me in Meereen. Every second lad there is a trained ninja assassin who wants Dany dead, after all she did for the all the slaves, who seemed to be the majority of the city? As in King's Landing, it's incredibly poorly explained how these mobs just take over the place for no apparent reason when things are seemingly as good as ever for the general population.

But things aren't as good as they've always been for the population of King's Landing. They've had a massive influx of refugees from the countryside as a result of the ongoing war and they've mentioned several times that there isn't enough food in the city for everyone. When you consider the extravagance of two royal weddings and all the money that has been spent on the war, the Sparrows are just tapping into a simmering anger that the smallfolk feel towards the ruling classes. While I agree that it's a bit unbelievable that the goldcloaks haven't retaliated, they are hugely lacking in leadership.

As for Meereen, yes the slaves have been freed, but you can be sure that not all of those slaves were rehired by their old masters for a fair wage. And for those who weren't rehired at all, where do they live now? Where is their food coming from? They have no money, no land to farm. What happens to them now? Their initial joy at being freed may now be clashing with the realities of life in Meereen without an income and it doesn't seem like Daenerys has any long-term vision for helping the freed slaves get on their feet. Similarly, there are those to trade in slaves in the city who have seen their industry essentially erased, and they do have the resources and contacts to pull something like this off, especially if they got help from Yunkai and Astapor.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

The king controls the bloody army ffs, in reality as soon as they tried to apprehend loras they would have been rounded up and executed immediately. The fact that the tyrells and the lannisters and the fecking king just sat idly by and let it happen is totally unrealistic.
    What army does Tommen control?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Remember in the very early seasons when was it Sansa (?) had to be saved by The Hound because she wandered into the general public ... the people of Kings Landing haven't been happy from the start and things have only gotten worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

lbj666 wrote: »

My thoughts of that was that he was killed because he was marrying Dany and therefor colluding with the enemy, by killing him they were making serious a threat against anyone else from the wealthy class working with her at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

So is that it...have we caught up with the books? Is everything that comes hereafter at the writers discretion? are all bets off ?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I think most time lines have caught up (from what I understand, I haven't read the books)... but some others are still lagging behind (or are so mangled that it no longer really matters!).

Next season might be the first where book readers and tv watchers can have a single thread :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭bren2001

DeVore wrote: »
    I think most time lines have caught up (from what I understand, I haven't read the books)... but some others are still lagging behind (or are so mangled that it no longer really matters!).

Next season might be the first where book readers and tv watchers can have a single thread :)

No chance of that happening. Book readers still know a lot more about the characters and can give better guesses as to where things are going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Plus there are whole storylines from the books that may or may not make a reappearance, Ironborn for instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Plus there are whole storylines from the books that may or may not make a reappearance, Ironborn for instance.

Ironborn is looking likely to come back into it, there was what they describe as a pirate type role they were looking for in casting whos character sounded similar to one of the greyjoys.

Poorest season so far by a long way. Hope that it picks up next season.
    Ratings in the US reflect this in that there was good growth year-on-year except for this year.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_of_Thrones_(season_5)#Ratings

DeVore wrote: »
    Remember in the very early seasons when was it Sansa (?) had to be saved by The Hound because she wandered into the general public ... the people of Kings Landing haven't been happy from the start and things have only gotten worse.

Actually, that was bugging me a bit. She seems determined to wait to be rescued. Instead of sitting up in the tower waving a candle for the entire length of the battle, surely she'd have been better off leaving the candle up there, grabbing a dagger somewhere, and hiding it back in her room? Ramsay comes home, stabby, stabby, problem solved.
    Or maybe even just run for it while everyone's distracted with the battle, before they get back.

I'm also not entirely clear who she though she was signalling, given the person who told her she had friends waiting to rescue her had been flayed and strung up in front of her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

glasso wrote: »
    Poorest season so far by a long way. Hope that it picks up next season.
    Ratings in the US reflect this in that there was good growth year-on-year except for this year.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_of_Thrones_(season_5)#Ratings

Those ratings mean nothing in terms of the quality of the show though. They're pretty much on par with last season and 5 seasons in, the entry barrier to new viewers is far higher than before so it would be difficult to expect continued growth in viewers no matter the quality.

I agree with the sentiment though that this was the weakest (but still great) season so far. I think the changes in Kings Landing (sorely missing Tywin, Tyrion, Varys & Littlefinger), the Dorne nonsense and the staleness of Danys story let the season down.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Sheeeeit

MOH wrote: »
    I'm also not entirely clear who she though she was signalling, given the person who told her she had friends waiting to rescue her had been flayed and strung up in front of her.

She was told she still has friends in the North. So she would have assumed there were plenty of people waiting to see the candle, families still loyal to the Starks, of which there are many.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

I like Kevin Lannister - hoping to see more of him next season
    Kinda like Tywin Lite

Sheeeeit wrote: »
    She was told she still has friends in the North. So she would have assumed there were plenty of people waiting to see the candle, families still loyal to the Starks, of which there are many.
    Maybe Stannis might have told some of these families he was on the way and to meet him at Winterfell for the assault?
    Nah...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

bzSSJLC.png

Should've cut the little shít open there! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭DeadHand

wp_rathead wrote: »
    I like Kevin Lannister - hoping to see more of him next season
    Kinda like Tywin Lite

Me too!

Obviously not as intelligent and ruthless as Tywin was (no one but Tyrion is) but seems to have the same strong vein of common sense and immunity to Cersei's nonsense.

On that point, of Tywin's three children Tyrion was the most similar in terms of personality and mental capability to the father. Jaime is just an articulate soldier. Cersei is a spoiled lunatic. Tyrion, like his father before him, is a proven administrator, diplomat, politician and general.

I think that is where a lot of the Tywin on Tyrion hate stemmed from. On top of the physical "deformity" and death of his wife there were these similarities. No loathing like self-loathing. Tywin also may have recognised in Tyrion a potential future rival.

Looking back, Tywin's eagerness to sacrifice the Imp made little sense. He was clearly of use to House Lanister and still Tywin's only male heir unburdened by a vow of chastity. Maybe his claims made on the jacks that he intended to save Tyrion all along were true. His execution would certainly seem a drastic measure for a man so obsessed with family and legacy to take simply to placate Cersei and the Tyrells.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

DeadHand wrote: »
    Me too!

Obviously not as intelligent and ruthless as Tywin was (no one but Tyrion is) but seems to have the same strong vein of common sense and immunity to Cersei's nonsense.

On that point, of Tywin's three children Tyrion was the most similar in terms of personality and mental capability to the father. Jaime is just an articulate soldier. Cersei is a spoiled lunatic. Tyrion, like his father before him, is a proven administrator, diplomat, politician and general.

I think that is where a lot of the Tywin on Tyrion hate stemmed from. On top of the physical "deformity" and death of his wife there were these similarities. No loathing like self-loathing. Tywin also may have recognised in Tyrion a potential future rival.

Looking back, Tywin's eagerness to sacrifice the Imp made little sense. He was clearly of use to House Lanister and still Tywin's only male heir unburdened by a vow of chastity. Maybe his claims made on the jacks that he intended to save Tyrion all along were true. His execution would certainly seem a drastic measure for a man so obsessed with family and legacy to take simply to placate Cersei and the Tyrells.

I'm not convinced Tyrion is a lannister

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Troyaferd

I'm not convinced Tyrion is a lannister

would explain much, Tywin normally should see the potentional of Tyrion (unlike Jamie and Cersei)

Final Episode was pretty poor.

The more I think about it, the more disappointed I feel with the whole story at Winterfell with Sansa. That really amounted to nothing in the end. I thought that situation was going to be a chance for her to become something other than a damsel in distress, that she'd use that corkscrew to kill Ramsey or Theon, or that she's use her wit to outsmart the Boltons or something. Instead, she uses what could have been a weapon to open and door and then just has Theon save her. There was a big opportunity here for some character development that was just totally missed.

Also, who is the "young boy" or whatever that Littlefinger wanted to give to Olenna as a gift? It couldn't have been Lancel, right? He was already confessing everything to the Sparrows by the time Littlefinger arrived back at King's Landing.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Troyaferd

PressRun wrote: »
    The more I think about it, the more disappointed I feel with the whole story at Winterfell with Sansa. That really amounted to nothing in the end. I thought that situation was going to be a chance for her to become something other than a damsel in distress, that she'd use that corkscrew to kill Ramsey or Theon, or that she's use her wit to outsmart the Boltons or something. Instead, she uses what could have been a weapon to open and door and then just has Theon save her. There was a big opportunity here for some character development that was just totally missed.

absolutely agree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Also, who is the "young boy" or whatever that Littlefinger wanted to give to Olenna as a gift? It couldn't have been Lancel, right? He was already confessing everything to the Sparrows by the time Littlefinger arrived back at King's Landing.

we didn't see much of Littlefinger in the latter half of the season. As with S4 I think they're struggling to keep so many storylines moving with only 10 episodes per season. Obviously killing off loads of characters will help with that.

Totally. We were given the impression there was some sort of new hard edged Sansa at the end of last season (now with cleavage too!). This was sadly a red herring and she's pretty much the crying useless mess, yes often with good reason, she always was. Disappointing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,112 ✭✭✭BQQ

I'm fairly sure it was Lancel.

He told Littlefinger he'd already confessed everything, but littlefinger smelled bull****.
    Obviously, he'd left out the juicy bits.

BQQ wrote: »
    I'm fairly sure it was Lancel.

He told Littlefinger he'd already confessed everything, but littlefinger smelled bull****.
    Obviously, he'd left out the juicy bits.

I just don't know how littlefinger, a brothel owner, would have that kind of clout with religious fanatics. And his does imprisoning cersei really help olenna? She wants her grandchildren released, she's not really after revenge as such is shr?

I think Sansa did grow as a character, just not very much! Facing Mistress ArrowPointy at the end there, she was pretty ballsy to be like "give it your best shot bitch". But yeah, I would have liked to see her become more of her mother... she's quite far from that atm!

I'm not sure how Tyrion could be anything but a Lannister, myself.

I didn't think Dorne was all THAT bad but I seem to be alone in that :)

Next season basically I want what everyone else seems to want... MOAR DRAGUNS 'N' ZOMBEHS KTHXBYE

• Advertisement
Advertisement