Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luxury Property in short supply

Options
  • 15-06-2015 5:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭

What are the modern/luxury apartments around Galway city and suburbs.
    There seems to be a huge lack of quality accommodation around at good price point. Most might look ok but are usually very cramped. Do people have experience with Cuirt Seoige looks small in the pics?

There is thornberry in Barna which again looks small for the price they are asking?

There is a place in lough atalia that looks nice, but never seems to be any for sale, which tells a story in itself I suppose, cannot find it on daft now I think there was a place to rent there a few weeks ago at a crazy price. There is another place in the claddagh thats nice too but again never see any for sale.

What places would be the most spacious, allowing a refurb to an individual liking?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

b4bmm wrote: »
    There seems to be a huge lack of quality accommodation around at good price point. Most might look ok but are usually very cramped. Do people have experience with Cuirt Seoige looks small in the pics?

There is thornberry in Barna which again looks small for the price they are asking?

There is a place in lough atalia that looks nice, but never seems to be any for sale, which tells a story in itself I suppose, cannot find it on daft now I think there was a place to rent there a few weeks ago at a crazy price. There is another place in the claddagh thats nice too but again never see any for sale.

What places would be the most spacious, allowing a refurb to an individual liking?

I went to view a few apartments in Cuirt Seoige and they were tiny. In fact for some silly reason the bathrooms were bigger than the bed rooms. For the money they ask I'd avoid big time. Alot of problems with Damp too from what i've seen when I viewed them.

I'm in the same boat at the moment looking for a nice place. Thankfully I'm not really in a rush at the moment so can afford to wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭L'Enfer du Nord

Not sure if you want to buy or rent, but this place looks OK to me from a quick look on daft:
    http://www.daft.ie/lettings/cappagh-road-barna-galway/1545502

In my experience, far from finding a luxury apartment in Galway, you be doing well to find one which:
    A) Isn't furnished with granny's old furniture (even new places)
    B) Has central heating.

There are a few places on Taylors Hill which are probably quite high spec. I remember when one was launch a few years back. The marketing blurb described Taylor's Hill as Galway's answer to Park Avenue, Knightsbridge and Aylesbury Road. That kind of hyperbole really pushes up prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Butterface

There's a shortage of quality apartments in Galway and rents keep rising. A few of my friends have had to move from where they are because of rent increases and they struggled to find anywhere nice for their budget. They're now living in Sailin, paying not much less than they were and can hear their neighbours pissing and showering every morning. But they have parking...

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Butterface

And I wouldn't just say "luxury" property is in short supply, there's a shortage of decent rental properties around the city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭b4bmm

snubbleste wrote: »

Yes there the places I mean in Lough Atalia.

From your Irish Times link:

"These spacious two-bedroom units don’t come cheap – the range from €675,000 to €950,00 while a single three-bedroom penthouse with over 214sq m (2,300sq ft) is priced at €1.25 million."

Cant believe they were looking for E1.25M for the 3-bed penthouse here. Thats outrageous and 950k for the 2 bed. Just to show how outrageous it is, an example of whats on offer for that price in an Australian city for an equivalent price to that 2 bed, not even comparing it to what can be gotten for the price of the penthouse.

http://reiwa.com.au/property/for-sale/59/255-adelaide-terrace,-perth-3493911/

Its a very nice place but the asking prices should be maybe halved to be anyway reasonable. Galway isn't a internationally renowned city to be asking these prices, there isn't even many apartments in Dublin asking these prices, if any?

http://www.daft.ie/lettings/ladyswell-lough-atalia-road-galway-city-centre-galway/1549979/

I presume this must be one of the lower priced ones above, are you telling me someone actually paid E675K for that pokey place and are only getting a rent of E1400/m, surely not!!

This one looks much nicer and is much more spacious so it must have been one of the 2 Beds up towards the E950K mark.

http://www.daft.ie/lettings/luxury-apartment-ladyswell-lough-atalia-road-galway-city-centre-galway/1528119/

There is definitely a shortage of quality accommodation in Galway City.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,412 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

snubbleste wrote: »
    This one looks much nicer and is much more spacious so it must have been one of the 2 Beds up towards the E950K mark.

http://www.daft.ie/lettings/luxury-apartment-ladyswell-lough-atalia-road-galway-city-centre-galway/1528119/

Look at the price increase! €1,800 per month in February.... now it's listed at €2,400 per month!! wtf!? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,955 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Look at the price increase! €1,800 per month in February.... now it's listed at €2,400 per month!! wtf!? :eek:

Short term lets to high-powered visiting executives.

February is winter. Now is summer (the rain is warmer). Demand is higher, so is the price. Simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

I'm living in Barna Demesne the past few years. Apartments here are absolutely top quality, and one seems to come on the market every month or 2. The rent would be in around 1k i believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Short term lets to high-powered visiting executives.

February is winter. Now is summer (the rain is warmer). Demand is higher, so is the price. Simples.

So no ones actually living in them? I would love to meet the Galway person who could affort to spend nearly 30k on rent for a year.
    Do we even attract enough visiting "high powered" execs to fill a couple of apparentments ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

If you are looking for luxury you should try these apartments http://www.daft.ie/lettings/mount-eaton-house-taylors-hill-galway/1544303/

They are really top quality and the guys are very easy to deal with. Not sure if you still can but when I lived there a while ago I was able to get the price down from what they were asking. Also don't be put off by the fact that it's a 1 bed, it has way more space than pretty much all 2 bed apartments that I've lived in/viewed.

We moved out because we were given a really good deal on a house with a good sized garden, but myself and the missus would move back there in a heartbeat if we were to ever going to live in an apartment again.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,955 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

So no ones actually living in them? I would love to meet the Galway person who could affort to spend nearly 30k on rent for a year.
    Do we even attract enough visiting "high powered" execs to fill a couple of apparentments ?

I doubt that many people rent these for a whole year.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭L'Enfer du Nord

Not very scientific to say the least but I 'very always found that a really nice place is maybe 30% more expensive than a complete **** hole. Hard to say which is a bigger rip off, 700 for a dump or 1000 for a really nice place. There's a few places in between which is where I usually end up.

Time wrote: »
    I'm living in Barna Demesne the past few years. Apartments here are absolutely top quality, and one seems to come on the market every month or 2. The rent would be in around 1k i believe.

http://www.daft.ie/sales/8-seabury-demense-barna-galway/1052875/

I dont think I would pay 285K for that ^^^, is this 1K to rent would you think?
    I doubt that many people rent these for a whole year.

They mustn't want lower class tenants and are not short of money, it would be easy to half the price and chances are someone would take it, makes no sense to me really as an investment, going to take a long time to pay back 900K investment.
    b.gud wrote: »
    If you are looking for luxury you should try these apartments http://www.daft.ie/lettings/mount-eaton-house-taylors-hill-galway/1544303/

They are really top quality and the guys are very easy to deal with. Not sure if you still can but when I lived there a while ago I was able to get the price down from what they were asking. Also don't be put off by the fact that it's a 1 bed, it has way more space than pretty much all 2 bed apartments that I've lived in/viewed.

We moved out because we were given a really good deal on a house with a good sized garden, but myself and the missus would move back there in a heartbeat if we were to ever going to live in an apartment again.

Looks nice but for one bedroom its steep, is there no 2 beds?

Looks nice but for one bedroom its steep, is there no 2 beds?

There are 2 bed apartments there which would be an extra 200/300 a month. But honestly go and see the one bed they have tons of space and unless you actually need a 2nd bed, e.g. you are 2 single people rather than a couple, it's a much better use of the space. I've seen 1 of the 2 bed apartments in there and I would pick the 1 bed over it every time. And trust me before I moved in there I never thought I'd say that.

Were they ever for sale or the builder help them all and rented out instead? What price if they were for sale any idea?

Were they ever for sale or the builder help them all and rented out instead? What price if they were for sale any idea?

The following is all anecdotal so take it with a pinch of salt.
    I had heard that work on the building completed right bang in the middle of the recession so as you can imagine demand buying for luxury apartments was not particularly high. The developer choose to rent the apartments rather than leave them up for sale for an extended period.

The figures I've heard of what they had initially planned to sell the apartments for, which again is anecdotal, was around a million a piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

http://www.daft.ie/sales/8-seabury-demense-barna-galway/1052875/

I dont think I would pay 285K for that ^^^, is this 1K to rent would you think?

That's probably one of the smaller ones, and it also looks over the courtyard, so possibly that'd be less than 1k. I live the far side of that building, which looks directly onto the bay, and the apartments on our side have a much bigger living space hence they're around 1k per month.

You would be surprised a couple in fairly run of the mill
    Jobs could if they wanted afford one considering I know a few people renting alone and paying in the 950 to 1200 range of rent per month so if your other half is paying the same you are approaching the asking price of these places. People Im referring to wouldn't be on massive money probably the 50 to 70k bracket.

Its total and utter waste though for these places and the people I know renting alone considering they could be paying a large chunk of a mortgage back every month rather than flushing it down the toilet in rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I was looking for accommodation in Galway recently and found the standard and range to be quite poor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

People Im referring to wouldn't be on massive money probably the 50 to 70k bracket.
    I know I'm going to be corrected on this but 50 to 70k is actually a massive income for an awful lot of people nowadays. Renting isn't a complete waste of money at all when you look at the amount of people paying massive mortgages back on negative equity properties and end up paying twice as much as what the house is actually worth.

I was looking for accommodation in Galway recently and found the standard and range to be quite poor.

Is the standard much better in Limerick, could you give us some examples of nice places in Limerick?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I don't rent in Limerick but there are a number of nice places including The Strand, City Central and Riverpoint.

Cant find any of those places you mentioned in Limerick.

Advertisement