Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

looking to rent

Options
  • 15-06-2015 9:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

hi,currently in a sticky situation, we currently rent privately and our landlord is selling the house, we have been here 7 years so its still quite a shock but our problem now is we cant find anywhere else to rent, we live in gorey and I dont drive so options are limited but there is literally no where renting, we both work full time, can anyone help ie suggestions on what to do, really worried at this stage

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

* moved from Feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Dav wrote: »
    * moved from Feedback.

Have you tried a letting agent?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 migmad 26

jlm29 wrote: »
    Have you tried a letting agent?

hi, yes every letting agency in town,1 house that is suitable and around 30 people so far interested in it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

First off, you can't stop the landlord selling the house. However, he must give you 112 days notice since you're there over 4 years.

Can you expand on the problem with finding something else? Is it that there's nothing suitable or that the rents have gone up too much or another issue?

First off, you can't stop the landlord selling the house. However, he must give you 112 days notice since you're there over 4 years.

Can you expand on the problem with finding something else? Is it that there's nothing suitable or that the rents have gone up too much or another issue?

landlord has done everything by the books, we are letting through an agency and they are also on the lookout for us but only have 8 weeks left on the notice, he has emmigrated and has no intentions of returning thats why he is selling unfortunately

• Advertisement

We still need more info to help. What's your budget and what are you looking for? Are you willing to live a bit further out and cycle to work?

We still need more info to help. What's your budget and what are you looking for? Are you willing to live a bit further out and cycle to work?

800 would be most we would pay and no couldnt cycle as have to children that go to school in the town, me and my husband work different shifts on a weekly basis so coupdnt even arrange drop off/pick ups etc

migmad 26 wrote: »
    800 would be most we would pay and no couldnt cycle as have to children that go to school in the town, me and my husband work different shifts on a weekly basis so coupdnt even arrange drop off/pick ups etc

See I didn't even know you had kids. How many? Assuming 2 there are 6 places on Daft that are below 800/month and have 3 or more bedrooms.

Edit: Some of these are listed as Gorey but not in the town itself. 3 are actually in the town.

See I didn't even know you had kids. How many? Assuming 2 there are 6 places on Daft that are below 800/month and have 3 or more bedrooms.

Edit: Some of these are listed as Gorey but not in the town itself. 3 are actually in the town.
    sorry, wasnt thinking, Yeah been on daft every day,only one that is suitable and thats what everyone is interested in, think the problem is there are alot of people currently looking to rent and not enough houses to let

and yes I have 2 children

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Can I ask why the other two in gorey that are on daft arnt suitable? Might help gauge what you are looking for a bit more accurately.

Sorry you find yourself in this position. I have a friend in the same position in Navan only on the RAS scheme.

hdowney wrote: »
    Can I ask why the other two in gorey that are on daft arnt suitable? Might help gauge what you are looking for a bit more accurately.

Sorry you find yourself in this position. I have a friend in the same position in Navan only on the RAS scheme.

certainly, one is actually on the main street of the town,no gardens etc and leads onto a busy commercial road, the other although stated is in gorey is actually a 10 min drive out the road, and thanks, its an awful feeling esp as our girls only know this house and the road we live on, I know we are lucky in respect we both work so have the income but been looking since april and still nothing

sorry, wasnt thinking, Yeah been on daft every day,only one that is suitable and thats what everyone is interested in, think the problem is there are alot of people currently looking to rent and not enough houses to let

That is the issue all over Ireland right now. You might have to settle for a non-ideal house.

That, or consider a car.

That is the issue all over Ireland right now. You might have to settle for a non-ideal house.

That, or consider a car.

the problem settling for a non ideal house is the fact we would again have to uproot the children when/if a better house comes along, I dont fancy living on a main street listening to the goings on every weekend and have my children couped up indoors, or playing on a main road, as foe the car, cant learn to drive in 8 weeks, not legally anyway but thanks for your input

the problem settling for a non ideal house is the fact we would again have to uproot the children when/if a better house comes along, I dont fancy living on a main street listening to the goings on every weekend and have my children couped up indoors, or playing on a main road, as foe the car, cant learn to drive in 8 weeks, not legally anyway but thanks for your input

Hard truth time, migmad. You have very little options. Take what you can get and move again when you can.

You've pretty much ruled out living outside of Gorey so I'm not even going to suggest it. You want the perfect house to fall into your lap but of course you've seen the demand on the house you went to look at so it's time to settle.

Hard truth time, migmad. You have very little options. Take what you can get and move again when you can.

You've pretty much ruled out living outside of Gorey so I'm not even going to suggest it. You want the perfect house to fall into your lap but of course you've seen the demand on the house you went to look at so it's time to settle.
    trust me im not looking for the perfect house, there isnt one unless its your own and again there is one house which more than likely has gone already and that is more than unsuitable,also its not free to move again and again

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

In fairness Migmad has 2 kids to think of and their wellbeing is important so I don't think it is fair to say they have to take somewhere unsuitable. But I think on the bright side, you have 8 weeks to find somewhere which is still plenty of time so I guess the only real solution is to keep an eye out and hope that something else comes up.

Have you asked around in work? Can you increase your budget?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Lux23 wrote: »
    In fairness Migmad has 2 kids to think of and their wellbeing is important so I don't think it is fair to say they have to take somewhere unsuitable. But I think on the bright side, you have 8 weeks to find somewhere which is still plenty of time so I guess the only real solution is to keep an eye out and hope that something else comes up.

Have you asked around in work? Can you increase your budget?

I understand she has to think of her kids, but if her option is a house with no garden, or no house, there isn't really an option. It's unfortunate, but waiting around, and hoping for the best isn't ideal.

You could scout around notice boards in supermarkets, credit union etc. might be lucky.

Advertisement