Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Villages in SouthEast Meath

Options
  • 15-06-2015 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭

Have been househunting around the Ratoath to Trim area for the past 18 months and been outbid on countless properties. We've viewed houses outside of the main towns on a couple of occasions but we have never bid on anything simply because we don't know the area. I find its easier to take a leap of faith in a built up area as if things don't work out you shouldn't have a problem selling and moving on.

Lack of supply means renting is not an option to suss a place out so I'd just like to see get posters thoughts on some of the lesser populated spots around the area. To name a few:

Kilmessan
    Robinstown
    Summerhill
    Skryne

There seem to be a few come up in the Robinstown area in the last month in for example. Are people suddenly trying to bail out of there :pac: I've driven out there a couple of times and barring a school, church and petrol station/shop is there much else in the village? Doesn't look like there's even a pub open.

Don't worry I won't be basing our decision purely on what people post but am curious to find out more about some of these areas. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Nothing much to report then :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

It's hard to advise really because it's such a personal decision. I know nothing about Skryne, but out of the other three I'd pick Summerhill, purely because it's a bigger village and would have more going on - and it's also more accessible to Dublin with better roads.

This is all my personal preference though, smaller villages might suit others of course. For me, Robinstown would be a no-no as it's just too small with very little going on. Kilmessan is a lovely little village from what I've seen of it, and could be a really nice place to live - again it's a bit on the small side for me, and having to drive up and down those roads multiple times every day would do my head in.

All depends on what you are after really, your job requirements (commuting, proximity to Dublin etc.), your family requirements etc.. I had looked in Ratoath when I was house hunting, and it didn't float my boat either tbh. It was between Dunshaughlin and Trim for me. Trim was the best balance of size of the town, schools for the kids, roads and proximity to Dublin (for jobs and colleges etc.), and facilities/activities in the town itself.

It would probably be a good idea to list everything that's important to you in detail, and tick off each of the towns/villages as to how they rate for each of your requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭chewed

Have been househunting around the Ratoath to Trim area for the past 18 months and been outbid on countless properties. We've viewed houses outside of the main towns on a couple of occasions but we have never bid on anything simply because we don't know the area. I find its easier to take a leap of faith in a built up area as if things don't work out you shouldn't have a problem selling and moving on.

Lack of supply means renting is not an option to suss a place out so I'd just like to see get posters thoughts on some of the lesser populated spots around the area. To name a few:

Kilmessan
    Robinstown
    Summerhill
    Skryne

There seem to be a few come up in the Robinstown area in the last month in for example. Are people suddenly trying to bail out of there :pac: I've driven out there a couple of times and barring a school, church and petrol station/shop is there much else in the village? Doesn't look like there's even a pub open.

Don't worry I won't be basing our decision purely on what people post but am curious to find out more about some of these areas. Thanks.

It all depends on what you want to do in the evenings/weekends. Are you looking to be able to go out to a pub or join a local club?

You'll definitely get value for money in Robinstown as the houses are quite big and it's a very safe area, especially if you have small kids. The pub there is back open again and seems to be doing quite well from what I've heard.

Advertisement