Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tyson Fury (undisputed world champion!) vs Vladimir SEE MOD WARNING POST#558

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

pablo128 wrote: »
    He might do, but Fury has the belts.

What does that have to do with it? Fury was also very classy, as I mentioned too.

Edit: Unless your saying it is all the more impressive because he retains that level of class even in humbling defeat? Id agree with that yeah

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Gaygooner wrote:
    Imagine paying for that cråp...

If Vlad won, you wouldn't be saying that.

Your hero was embarrassed, completely out smarted.

Get over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Never expected to see Wladimir beaten by Fury. Fury fought the good fight and won. Fair play to him, Wladimirs time is over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Never expected to see Wladimir beaten by Fury. Fury fought the good fight and won. Fair play to him, Wladimirs time is over.

I think Wlad could probably win a re-match if he went away and came up with a game plan, he just looked clueless last night, didn't know how to handle Fury, didn't really turn up, and was deservedly beaten. Sad to see a great champ lose his crown with such a limp non-performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Gaygooner

ComfortKid wrote: »
    If Vlad won, you wouldn't be saying that.

Your hero was embarrassed, completely out smarted.

Get over it.

If he got the decision last night? No

The fight was awful

DeGales were a good contest later

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

It was a terrible fight, but if that's what Fury needed to do to take the title from Wlad then fair enough. If he defends the title in the same fashion then it will be a different story.

Ultimately Wlad's risk averse style came back to haunt him. And it was overdue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,778 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Sort of fed up reading that it was Fury's tactics and plan that prevented Wlad from succeeding. It played a small part, but Wlad never even tried. He went the whole fight without trying. Had he actually tried and committed, and came unstuck, yes, I could get behind this opinion. From bell 1 to final Bell Wlad fought as negative and scared as I have ever seen across all weights.

An appalling performance from Wlad, and a complete mickey mouse disjointed performance from Fury. I din't think there was a single fluid and decent combination thrown. Not even a simple 1-2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Andre 3000

I just don't know why he didn't let his punches go. What was he afraid of. Fury can punch but he's not a devastating puncher. If he was fighting someone like Wilder I'd understand but Fury has good power, hardly one punch knock you into hospital power that Wlad has.

Froch continually alluded to it, kept getting in position, kept loading up but then couldn't/wouldn't pull the trigger. If it was not for the good movement of Fury, the continual switching of stances, the never getting into a rhythm, then what?

We have to give Fury some credit for executing his game plan surely?

Wlad was awful, as poor as I have ever seen him. To give Fury no credit for that is pretty harsh I think.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement

Froch continually alluded to it, kept getting in position, kept loading up but then couldn't/wouldn't pull the trigger. If it was not for the good movement of Fury, the continual switching of stances, the never getting into a rhythm, then what?

We have to give Fury some credit for executing his game plan surely?

Wlad was awful, as poor as I have ever seen him. To give Fury no credit for that is pretty harsh I think.

Some of it was due to Fury's style and plan, but it cannot explain 36 minutes of fighting like a man terrified.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

walshb wrote: »
    Some of it was due to Fury's style and plan, but it cannot explain 36 minutes of fighting like a man terrified.
    If nothing else, that is exactly what it can explain.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭mada82

So rather than the back and forth of who was right and who was wrong (I was completely wrong), what does each fighter have to do to win the rematch?

Can wlad adjust? Has age caught up with him and he no longer believes he can land on a moving target, thinking too long before throwing the shot etc.

My limited tactical knowledge says wlad needs to jab a lot more, not head hunt as much and try get fury stuck in the corners and load up. I don't think he's capable of hitting a mover anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Poor fight. I was disappointed to see the great Wlad lose but also delighted for Fury for some reasons. Some of them were the hatred the majority of the British public give him. They would rather support anyone but their own. Also because he's Irish blood and has class.

The heavyweight division needs a controversial character and they have that with Fury.

Canadel wrote: »
    If nothing else, that is exactly what it can explain.

Well, if so it truly was a pathetic excuse for defence from Wlad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Well, if so it truly was a pathetic excuse for defence from Wlad!

Maybe he knew there was no point seeing as God himself had chosen Fury to win :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Its a shame Fury had to go down the Yank religious nut route alright :)

Its a shame Fury had to go down the Yank religious nut route alright :)
    I imagine it stems from his Irish Gypsy traveller heritage, and also I would take everything Fury says with a pinch of salt. He is a master performer outside of the ring. He could be a revelation for the HW division if he starts attracting the casual fan and others to matches.

Canadel wrote: »
    I imagine it stems from his Irish Gypsy traveller heritage, and also I would take everything Fury says with a pinch of salt. He is a master performer outside of the ring. He could be a revelation for the HW division if he starts attracting the casual fan and others to matches.

Might alienate the gay ones a bit what with the things they get up to being legal bringing on the devil and all.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

As a spectacle, it was not a good fight to watch but you have to give Fury credit for executing a solid gameplan.

I'm not a fan of Fury whatsoever and I find him extremely boring as a fighter but he's doing what he needs to do so who am I to criticise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Chris_Bradley

Vlad exposed pretty badly last night. It was clear from early that he didn't know how to deal with Fury & he lost by a running mile at the end in fairness.

Fair play to Fury, he done exactly what he set out to do & done it very well - At last Vlad is gone, what a boring man he was.

• Advertisement

Kind of still in shock. Whatever about Wlad not commiting with power punches, he didn't even jab much. It was the most non committed-non intentional display ever. Even Oliver McCall tried harder against Lewis in fight II.

Might alienate the gay ones a bit what with the things they get up to being legal bringing on the devil and all.:)
    Maybe, but I stress again, a pinch of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭Wurzelbert

and if so? fury does have a right to his own opinion and people are free to ignore him…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Oh lads what an unbelievable night, I won't say I told ye so cause it's not my style but special thanks to p power for sorting Christmas. Truth is people who have followed Fury over the years know the absolute heart and desire the man has, he knows boxing inside out and has trained superb all year.

The bitterness in here is embarrassing, ye know who ye are guys. Excuses excuses excuses as to why their beloved Vladimir lost, he didn't this he didn't do that, yet absolutely no credit for Fury. Then when the excuses run out, well he wouldn't beat such and such from the the 1960's bla bla bla. Then you have the boxing is dead nonsense and then you have the oh the heavyweight division is a disgrace jargon.

Fact is Fury didn't just beat the world champion, a guy undefeated for 10 years, number 1 pound for pound, Dr Steelhammer himself, he went to his back yard and schooled him from the first bell to the last, klit barely landed all night. Was a master performance from fury. Vlad was made to look an old man, looked slow, massive respect for the guy but he fought a cowardly fight imo.

The heavyweight division is back folks, with the jab jab hold gone things are going to get a lot more interesting. Fury is most charismatic champion since Ali. He's as likely to get knocked out in the first round as he is to win over 12. Also, keep an eye out for Hughie Fury, serious talent with huge potential.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Is it bitter if we criticise both men on a stinking fight?

Btw, Wlad did do nothing. That's not bitterness. It's fact.

What would you prefer us to say? That Fury was awesome and dominated Wlad? That is just not true. He was simply less atrocious than Wlad. Neither man got off a single decent combination in 36 minutes.

I, for one won't sugarcoat it. A terrible fight, and a terrible performance by both men.

And yes, several men through history would eat both them alive.

Also, Fury IMO doesn't last more than a few rds against Joshua or Wilder. Fury won last night, but for me he showed me nothing to instill a belief that he's great. It was a dreadful performance.

This bitterness talk bol€&x.

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Finally fight week has arrived, has been a long time coming.

Imagine the shockwaves a victory for the furious one would send out, Tyson Fury World Heavyweight Champion of the World :D

Absolutely delighted for the guy.

He talked the talk and now he's walked the walk

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,986 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Also, Fury IMO doesn't last more than a few rds against Joshua or Wilder. Fury won last night, but for me he showed me nothing to instill a belief that he's great.

You could of course be right, but Joshua is completely unproven against top quality Heavyweights, and hasn't been tested against large Heavyweights either. I'm not counting Gary Cornish btw, because he wasn't even proven at area title level.

Wilder on the other hand just went 11 rounds with Johann Duhaupas and 9 with Eric Molina, and other than showing that he has quick heavy hands (which we've known for some time) I wasn't impressed in the slightest. Molina even had him in a little trouble, rocking him at one point.
    So I can understand playing down Fury and Wladamir's abilities after last night, but to highlight Deontay Wilder as the main to put either of them away easily ???, that seems a little odd considering his recent performances, against some low calibre opposition.

Wurzelbert wrote: »
    and if so? fury does have a right to his own opinion and people are free to ignore him…

Hate Speech is not a right

Big Ears wrote: »
    You could of course be right, but Joshua is completely unproven against top quality Heavyweights, and hasn't been tested against large Heavyweights either. I'm not counting Gary Cornish btw, because he wasn't even proven at area title level.

Wilder on the other hand just went 11 rounds with Johann Duhaupas and 9 with Eric Molina, and other than showing that he has quick heavy hands (which we've known for some time) I wasn't impressed in the slightest. Molina even had him in a little trouble, rocking him at one point.
    So I can understand playing down Fury and Wladamir's abilities after last night, but to highlight Deontay Wilder as the main to put either of them away easily ???, that seems a little odd considering his recent performances, against some low calibre opposition.

I don't think I said he puts Wlad away easily. Style wise I think he's a horrible match for Fury. It ends early for Fury.

Oh lads what an unbelievable night, I won't say I told ye so cause it's not my style but special thanks to p power for sorting Christmas. Truth is people who have followed Fury over the years know the absolute heart and desire the man has, he knows boxing inside out and has trained superb all year.

The bitterness in here is embarrassing, ye know who ye are guys. Excuses excuses excuses as to why their beloved Vladimir lost, he didn't this he didn't do that, yet absolutely no credit for Fury. Then when the excuses run out, well he wouldn't beat such and such from the the 1960's bla bla bla. Then you have the boxing is dead nonsense and then you have the oh the heavyweight division is a disgrace jargon.

Fact is Fury didn't just beat the world champion, a guy undefeated for 10 years, number 1 pound for pound, Dr Steelhammer himself, he went to his back yard and schooled him from the first bell to the last, klit barely landed all night. Was a master performance from fury. Vlad was made to look an old man, looked slow, massive respect for the guy but he fought a cowardly fight imo.

The heavyweight division is back folks, with the jab jab hold gone things are going to get a lot more interesting. Fury is most charismatic champion since Ali. He's as likely to get knocked out in the first round as he is to win over 12. Also, keep an eye out for Hughie Fury, serious talent with huge potential.

When was Wlad p4p King???

• Advertisement

Gaygooner wrote: »

erm, i would have to check back on what exactly fury said, yet what i think i remember is far from what i would call “hate speech”…also, isn’t hate a natural right just like love? and all the rest is politics, i reckon...

Wurzelbert wrote: »
    erm, i would have to check back on what exactly fury said, yet what i think i remember is far from what i would call “hate speech”…also, isn’t hate a natural right just like love? and all the rest is politics, i reckon...

Look at the interview, it was disgusting - comparing Homosexuals to paedophiles- the priests used to tell everyone the gays were the paedophiles too...

It's awful. Up there with Saunders' slurs on women

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

The heavyweight division is back folks, with the jab jab hold gone things are going to get a lot more interesting

It be might be back, but not for Fury.

Rematch is going to be very interesting.

Tables have turned, Wlad has nothing to lose and Fury everything.

Now is the real test for Fury.

Wlad is going to go in there blazing imo, he knows he can't outbox Fury and use the jab, hes going to have to go in there and blast Fury out of it.

Fury has been put down before, like Wlad he doesnt look so smart when he gets hit.

Show us your paddy power slip for the rematch ;-)

thierry14 wrote: »

Wlad is going to go in there blazing imo, he knows he can't outbox Fury and use the jab, hes going to have to go in there and blast Fury out of it.

Fury has been put down before, like Wlad he doesnt look so smart when he gets hit.

Wlad had 36 minutes to throw punches and you think in the rematch he comes out guns blazing?

Had Fury had a little more belief in himself last night and concentrated on punching and intent, he would have given Wlad a bit of a hiding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

IMO Fury was waiting for Klit to throw the right all night. He was waiting for an opening, and Klit knew it.

Just my opinion of course.

if he still can…it will be interesting alright…

I'd be surprised if a rematch happened. Fury will be allowed a few defences first so any potential rematch is atleast 1 year down the road, Klitschko another year older who's already been outboxed, will he fancy a fight in Manchester? A second defeat to Fury would affect his legacy. I'd fancy Tyson for the ko should the rematch happen. Klitschko should retire now.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

Wlad had 36 minutes to throw punches and you think in the rematch he comes out guns blazing?

He has nothing to lose now, he has to go for it.

If he had known what he knows now, he would have went for it early imo.

He looked gassed after round 5, at 39 he doesnt have the stamina to go for the Ko in the late rounds anymore.

I think myself he will go for it in the rematch, if he doesn't he has no chance.

That will be the blueprint to beat Fury for all, Joshua etc will have to the same.

They will all struggle with Furys size and reach.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

Not sure if this full interview has been posted recently, but re-watching it - Fury was spot on. He might come across as a joking entertainer, but he is sharp enough when it comes to tactics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQ9wtdw5I4s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

I don't think the rematch will happen, I know Wlad has said he wants it but listen, I reckon Wlad will be out for a while now certainly won't want the rematch right away imo, He's almost 40 getting more and more injuries on the personal side of things he's just had a baby with his wife and i'v read she's suffered pretty bad from depression, i think when he looks at things in the cold light of day he'll realize he hasn't got it anymore and there's zero reason for him to fight again and risk getting KO'd.

Speech YOU hate? Of course it's a right.
    bajer101 wrote: »
    Not sure if this full interview has been posted recently, but re-watching it - Fury was spot on. He might come across as a joking entertainer, but he is sharp enough when it comes to tactics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQ9wtdw5I4s
    Indeed. I posted this last night. Fury is a master performer outside the ring and has far more talent inside it than most people realise.
    Just watching the Gloves Off interview between Vlad and Fury.

Fury is intriguing and surprisingly well spoken, and seems to have an exceptional knowledge of the act of boxing. He had Vlad rattled tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I don't think the rematch will happen, I know Wlad has said he wants it but listen, I reckon Wlad will be out for a while now certainly won't want the rematch right away imo, He's almost 40 getting more and more injuries on the personal side of things he's just had a baby with his wife and i'v read she's suffered pretty bad from depression, i think when he looks at things in the cold light of day he'll realize he hasn't got it anymore and there's zero reason for him to fight again and risk getting KO'd.

Hayden peniterre?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I'd be surprised if a rematch happened. Fury will be allowed a few defences first so any potential rematch is atleast 1 year down the road, Klitschko another year older who's already been outboxed, will he fancy a fight in Manchester? A second defeat to Fury would affect his legacy. I'd fancy Tyson for the ko should the rematch happen. Klitschko should retire now.

There is a rematch clause in the contract, Wlad already said he wants it. I agree that he should retire now, he has nothing left to prove really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,403 ✭✭✭megadodge

If that were true, this would be a MUCH shorter thread!

megadodge wrote: »
    If that were true, this would be a MUCH shorter thread!

Would people pass it off if it was his view that allowing black people to be equal citizens was laying the road to the devil coming back, or would that be unacceptable because its racist?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3308688/British-boxing-star-Tyson-Fury-s-vile-homophobic-slur.html

'There are only three things that need to be accomplished before the devil comes home,' he said.
    'One of them is homosexuality being legal in countries, one of them is abortion and the other is paedophilia. Who would have thought in the 50s and 60s that those first two would be legalised?
    'When I say paedophiles could be made legal, it sounds crazy. But if I had said to you about the first two being made legal in the 50s, I would have been looked upon as a crazy man.

'People can say, 'You are against abortions, you are against paedophilia, you are against homosexuality', but my faith and my culture is based on the Bible.'
    It is not the first time Fury, 27, has been accused of homophobic comments, but unlike his previous outbursts, it was clear in the interview with The Mail on Sunday's Chief Sports Writer Oliver Holt that he was espousing deeply held beliefs.

I dare say its the bits of the bible that suit the readers opinions. Like most "deeply religious" people , he reads and interprets the bits he wants the way he wants and dismisses the contradictory parts. I'd be willing to bet he most likely hasnt even read the thing and is going on selective bits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,403 ✭✭✭megadodge

Would people pass it off if it was his view that allowing black people to be equal citizens was laying the road to the devil coming back, or would that be unacceptable because its racist?

Way to completely miss my point!

@Gaygooner - Fury's opinions are irrelevant when it comes to skill in the ring. I don't agree with his beliefs but that is irrelevant when it comes to 12 rounds of him fighting. When it comes to a contest, we have to leave those opinions aside and view a contest on its merits. I watched that fight last night and followed the comments here, and you were obviously prejudiced. You were scoring it ridiculously based on you personal opinion of the man and not on the fight. He won that fight easily, but you let your prejudice against him stand in the way of an objective view.

@Gaygooner - Fury's opinions are irrelevant when it comes to skill in the ring. I don't agree with his beliefs but that is irrelevant when it comes to 12 rounds of him fighting. When it comes to a contest, we have to leave those opinions aside and view a contest on its merits. I watched that fight last night and followed the comments here, and you were obviously prejudiced. You were scoring it ridiculously based on you personal opinion of the man and not on the fight. He won that fight easily, but you let your prejudice against him stand in the way of an objective view.

If we can celebrate wife beaters and rapists why not hate speech merchants I suppose?

If we can celebrate wife beaters and rapists why not hate speech merchants I suppose?

I am not celebrating anyone. I am just calling you on your biased posts during the fight. You were calling rounds for Klit that Fury had obviously won. You let your personal dislike of Fury taint your judgement of a fight.

I am not celebrating anyone. I am just calling you on your biased posts during the fight. You were calling rounds for Klit that Fury had obviously won. You let your personal dislike of Fury taint your judgement of a fight.

They were obvious at all there was so few punches thrown it wasn't the easiest fight to score.

Anyway Fury is the champ now so that's it- but I won't celebrate it, it's a bleak day for boxing

• Advertisement
Advertisement