Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is linear conversation on forums outdated? Is the upvote on Reddit a better system?

2»

Comments

True :)
    The unintentionally creepy parts of the net should sometimes be left alone. It's safe here, here is ....safe....oh ..the things... I've seen! *shudders*

Like? did the reddit downvote not save you :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭LadyFenghuang

Like? did the reddit downvote not save you :D
    Reddit? Who said anything about Reddit?? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭lizzyman

MrWalsh wrote: »
    Personally I feel its handled badly in many cases here. A recent example was the Graham Dwyer case. Even after he was convicted we were not allowed to talk about it. Every other media outlet and Irish forum was discussing it but even when it was asked about here the questions were shut down. So Im still unaware of the reasoning behind it but it stands out in my memory as being handled badly.

Agreed.

Can't stand Reddit's comment system though and the interface is like taking a time machine back to the late '90s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Besides reddit though what forums would people suggest? Out of interest? It's nice to check out other places.

The Thunderdome.ie is new and fresh.Bit clannish due to not many posters,but a lot less moderation.

lizzyman wrote: »
    Agreed.

Can't stand Reddit's comment system though and the interface is like taking a time machine back to the late '90s.

One of Reddits great functions though is the AMA section of Reddit. There is so many diverse and interesting AMAs from all kinds of wonderful/interesting people.

kneemos wrote: »
    The Thunderdome.ie is new and fresh.Bit clannish due to not many posters,but a lot less moderation.

I'll give it a go . :-)

I just looked that up. Boards doesn't need to be worried :pac:

There are no forums?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Saying upvoting tells you the best stuff to read is like saying tabloids are the best media form or that things like Feeky, Face Kicker and endless Simpsons quotes are funny.

I'd prefer to decide myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Reddit's style is crap tbh. I can't even read a page before my head hurts. Maybe the amount of muppets on it helps too.

One of Reddits great functions though is the AMA section of Reddit. There is so many diverse and interesting AMAs from all kinds of wonderful/interesting people.

It's a great site but man it can be so hard to read.

Off-topic, but the swear word censor on boards feels so...quaint. My eyes bleed everytime I read 'fookin' or 'shíte'. Let us swear freely and be done with it.

biko wrote: »
    Reddit's style is crap tbh. I can't even read a page before my head hurts.

Yeah I can see what you are saying. Boards is much more readable, Reddits AMAs are really cool though.

Ah damn I was just going to post two of my favs! :) One is actually specifically designed for thoughtful conversation it has some really cool people. The other is completely off the wall. I have read some of the weirdest posts ever!

You can talk them surely.People talk about Reddit and Facebook all the time.

It's a great site but man it can be so hard to read.

Off-topic, but the swear word censor on boards feels so...quaint. My eyes bleed everytime I read 'fookin' or 'shíte'. Let us swear freely and be done with it.

I am in favor of the swear blocker. Swearing would just cheapen the site.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Reddit always manages to convince me that I'm viewing it via the original internet explorer browser

• Advertisement

my friend wrote: »
    Reddit always manages to convince me that I'm viewing it via the original internet explorer browser

The Reddit site is fairly shocking I'll admit that, when I'm reading it I'll generally do it on their Android app.

Boards.ie is probably the best well rounded to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

The Reddit site is fairly shocking I'll admit that, when I'm reading it I'll generally do it on their Android app.

I use an app for it, I actually dont really know how to use it in a browser!!

One thing I do like on Reddit is the amount of image based stuff. I feel boards lacks in that it is mostly text based but I can see why it works that way.

Boards.ie is probably the best well rounded to be honest.

For an Irish user I would have to agree that for most topics it would be the best. Reddits upvotes does have advantages/disadvantages. The layout could be a small bit better and less all over the place.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Reddit weights importance by how new and voted a post is. Doesn't matter how crap it is, if enough like it it's at the top. What really suffers is any hope of continuity of debate. It would be like a conversation among a group of mates, where random topics were shouted out and they who shouted the loudest were the only voices you could hear. It's a charm for thanks whores and attention seekers. So nope, not my speed at all.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

I am in favor of the swear blocker. Swearing would just cheapen the site.

How is fookin better than fúcking? The intent is obvious.

Last I remember of it is slagging Top Gear and having toys thrown at me.
    Worryingly serious people.

How is fookin better than fúcking? The intent is obvious.

I don't know it seems more innocent or something.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Reddit weights importance by how new and voted a post is. Doesn't matter how crap it is, if enough like it it's at the top. What really suffers is any hope of continuity of debate. It would be like a conversation among a group of mates, where random topics were shouted out and they who shouted the loudest were the only voices you could hear. It's a charm for thanks whores and attention seekers. So nope, not my speed at all.

You have some very good points and hard to argue with that. For conversations where everyone talks that can be bad. For things like Ask Me Anything discussions though with people the upvote can be fairly handy. The questions that were good and got answered go to the top and the crap/unanswered questions go to the bottom. Do you also not find thanks whores on boards?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

If you want to encourage discourse and debate then you've got to go with the linear system...someone proposes a premise and people make their arguments in turn

Yeah I think its I like Reddit cause of its massive variety despite the comments system. Its attraction is the sheer volume of content it has compared to a smaller site but I think Boards is better organized.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Public_Enema

I don't get the obsession with Reddit. Apart from it's ridiculous layout, I found it to be utter crap and couldn't endure it for very long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Wibbs wrote: »
    It's a charm for thanks whores and attention seekers.

A cliqueopoly, to coin a phrase.

Advertisement