Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***2015 LC Physics - June 15th***

• 15-06-2015 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭

Lovely paper. Section A was very nice as was Section B. Managed to do an extra question aswell. Hopefully that is an A in the bag

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

That went terribly for me. I did worse than I did in the mocks, I really wanted a high B or even an A but after that, a C is more likely (if even that).

A change of the CAO is in order now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Jammysticks

Tin-whistle length was .579 divided by 2, wasn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 2345

Tin-whistle length was .579 divided by 2, wasn't it?

Yep 28.5 cm

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Chickennuggets

Section a was easy , section b was terrible , was hoping for an A1 . A bit more like a low B or a high C now

SI unit of temperature is Kelvin, not degrees C?

And frequency of string is increased by 1.5 times when tension changes from 36N to 81N?

• Advertisement

SI unit of temperature is Kelvin, not degrees C?

And frequency of string is increased by 1.5 times when tension changes from 36N to 81N?

yeah thats what i got.
    What about why a pipe at open at only one end has half the harmonics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭qweerty

In case anyone's interested: news report.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Benm123

Hopefully I'm not the only one that the polystyrene cup threw! I included it in the equation with SHC 1, no idea why, was sure they had an error in paper with not giving it's shc! Silly me, do you think I'll lose many marks for it? Like I didn't include it in the assumption and then had the error in the calculations, everything went grand I'm sect A but I'm worried that'll take me down a good chunk!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 anera

how did it go for everyone??

2345 wrote: »
    yeah thats what i got.
    What about why a pipe at open at only one end has half the harmonics?

Just draw the diagrams for the first and second harmonics of open and closed pipes, which show that closed pipes produce odd harmonics while open pipes produce all harmonics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Barry1000

WE NEED A UV LIGHT #physicsbanter

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭The_N4sir

Benm123 wrote: »
    Hopefully I'm not the only one that the polystyrene cup threw! I included it in the equation with SHC 1, no idea why, was sure they had an error in paper with not giving it's shc! Silly me, do you think I'll lose many marks for it? Like I didn't include it in the assumption and then had the error in the calculations, everything went grand I'm sect A but I'm worried that'll take me down a good chunk!

It threw me off aswell but I assumed no heat was transferred to the cup from the water since there was no SHC given. I got close to the value of SLHV so should be okay hopefully

Guys you all probably did better than you think aswell

In the experiments question 4, what was the circuit diagram that had to be drawn?

And are 2 other leptons the Tau and the Muon? neutrino is subject to the strong n. force?

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭OMGeary

Didn't like the paper, was very different

In the experiments question 4, what was the circuit diagram that had to be drawn?

And are 2 other leptons the Tau and the Muon? neutrino is subject to the strong n. force?

yep tau and muon that was in the tables

• Registered Users Posts: 11 AMDD

Pretty sure there's a page in the table that gives examples of Leptons. Tau and the muon are included in this list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 3w4

What did people get for the velocity of an electron and what was the minimum wavelength of the x-ray?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 blue_velvet

3w4 wrote: »
    What did people get for the velocity of an electron and what was the minimum wavelength of the x-ray?

for velocity I got one point something ×10^8 by using formula QV=1/2mv^2 . And for wavelength I think it was something ×10^-11 and I used hf=1/2mv^2 to get f and then subbed f into c=f×wavelength to get wavelength

• Registered Users Posts: 12 SteveZissou

For the particle physics, did anyone get an energy value of around 0.87MeV?

For the particle physics, did anyone get an energy value of around 0.87MeV?

I got .79Mev

What did people. Get for the latent heat of vaporisation in q 2 ?

• Advertisement

anyone get 2x10^7 m for radius in Q6
    What did people. Get for the latent heat of vaporisation in q 2 ?

it is meant to be 2.3x10^6 from book

For Q1 Boyle law what was the pressure at 250 cm ? I got something like 105 kpa

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Fiona G

very sly mixing in electromagnetism with particle physics...
    For Q1 Boyle law what was the pressure at 250 cm ? I got something like 105 kpa

I think I got 106 kPa, same ball park

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Chocolalla

For heat question what's the equation and sub ins ?

Chocolalla wrote: »
    For heat question what's the equation and sub ins ?

Heat Lost = Heat Gained
    MC(change in temp) steam + ML for steam = MC(change in temp) water + MC(change in temp)cup
    I neglected the cup as I said c for it is =0.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Chocolalla

AMDD wrote: »
    Heat Lost = Heat Gained
    MC(change in temp) steam + ML for steam = MC(change in temp) water + MC(change in temp)cupt
    I neglected the cup as I said c for it is =0.

Ok I got the equation but I was contemplating what to write for capacity of polystyrene cup

Chocolalla wrote: »
    Ok I got the equation but I was contemplating what to write for capacity of polystyrene cup

I'm almost sure you'll get the marks if you state in the assumptions that the student assumed the specific heat capacity was x.

What was the answer for q5 (a)

What was the answer for q5 (a)

I did 41cos30 x 3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 Benm123

I got .79Mev

I also got an answer like that but then went back and realised I forgot to sqaure the speed of light! I them re did it and squared the speed of like and got 511MeV which seemed like a much nicer answer

Advertisement