Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***2015 LC Physics - June 15th***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Chocolalla

Anyone do question eleven?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 AMDD

Chocolalla wrote: »

Yep

AMDD wrote: »
    Yep

Lol Answers pls

• Registered Users Posts: 16 blue_velvet

I did! How did you define the Tesla?

Lol Answers pls

(a) Tesla I wasn't too sure. I just used the formula saying it's the ratio of the work function to the area.
    (b) A.C I believe is a sin wave and D.C I believe is the same except you don't include beneath 0.
    (c) Electromagnetic induction I said is when an EMF is induced due to the change in magnetic field linking a circuit.
    (d) I believe this is to do with inducing an EMF which D.C wouldn't do. Wasn't too sure on this.
    (e) I said with low voltage this means there's a smaller current according to Ohm's Law which means there is less charge per second.
    (f) Subbed into formula
    (g) Just said A.C is constantly changing so you need an RMS value to compare.
    (h) Advantage: Environmentally friendly
    Disadvantage: Expensive

Looking back, I actually think I answered this question pretty badly, haha, at least it was an extra question.

• Advertisement

(a) Tesla I wasn't too sure. I just used the formula saying it's the ratio of the work function to the area.
    (b) A.C I believe is a sin wave and D.C I believe is the same except you don't include beneath 0.
    (c) Electromagnetic induction I said is when an EMF is induced due to the change in magnetic field linking a circuit.
    (d) I believe this is to do with inducing an EMF which D.C wouldn't do. Wasn't too sure on this.
    (e) I said with low voltage this means there's a smaller current according to Ohm's Law which means there is less charge per second.
    (f) Subbed into formula

Looking back, I actually think I answered this question pretty badly, haha, at least it was an extra question.
    No I think your answers are good , for tealsa since it said magnetic flux I just gave the def I don't think I'm right thou

I did! How did you define the Tesla?

I just gave the def for magnetic flux, u?

(f) Subbed into formula

for (e) I said low voltage means larger current which leads to greater power loss and then I explained with reference to Joule's Law P=I^2R and P=VI

No I think your answers are good , for tealsa since it said magnetic flux I just gave the def I don't think I'm right thou

I think I may have snuck in the definition for that also since I just decided to write all that I knew, don't think they will mark me down for having extra, even if it isn't right.

for (e) I said low voltage means larger current which leads to greater power loss and then I explained with reference to Joule's Law P=I^2R and P=VI

Hmm, that sounds better, I thought I should have fit in Joule's Law in there somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 SteveZissou

I got .79Mev

Actually I think I got that as well, couldn't remember! Thanks:)

Hmm, that sounds better, I thought I should have fit in Joule's Law in there somewhere.

I was unsure as to whether to make reference to the written text above in some of my answers or not??

I was unsure as to whether to make reference to the written text above in some of my answers or not??

Oh ****, I just realised that I didn't even look at that, that's so dodge haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Chickennuggets

Benm123 wrote: »
    I also got an answer like that but then went back and realised I forgot to sqaure the speed of light! I them re did it and squared the speed of like and got 511MeV which seemed like a much nicer answer

Im 90% I squared the speed

I just gave the def for magnetic flux, u?

Is Tesla not the unit for magnetic flux density? I said magnetic flux÷Area=magnetic flux density and then drew a diagram showing area and magnetic field lines..I think I said something about the magnetic flux density being the number of magnetic field lines falling perpendicularly??

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Benm123

Im 90% I squared the speed

Hmm.. This is confusing me.
    I did
    E=Mc^2
    Taking m as mass of electron
    And c as speed of light
    Then put my value for over eV.

I got 510.99 MeV then which rounded to a nice 511, which seemed like a more suitable answer than them asking for mega electron volts and then having a 0.something answer.
    But I'm doubting myself now that others have said they also got 0.something MeV

Also, coming out of the exam my friend who usually gets A1's said he got 0.something but then I asked did he square the speed of light and he said ohhhh **** no he didn't.
    What did anyone else get?

For the resistance of a metallic conductor experiement what did people say was the rate of change of resistance?was it just the slope?

For the resistance of a metallic conductor experiement what did people say was the rate of change of resistance?was it just the slope?

Didn't do it but pretty sure that's right.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 uzpuz

I put in 4180 for specific heat capacity for polystyrene but I knew it was wrong.
    However I ended up getting 2.3 by 10 to power 6 which is the latent heat of vaporisation as stated in previous marking schemes

Is Tesla not the unit for magnetic flux density? I said magnetic flux÷Area=magnetic flux density and then drew a diagram showing area and magnetic field lines..I think I said something about the magnetic flux density being the number of magnetic field lines falling perpendicularly??

I just thought of the magnetic flux def which is magnetic flux density by area i think will get attempt marks hopefully :D
    uzpuz wrote: »
    I put in 4180 for specific heat capacity for polystyrene but I knew it was wrong.
    However I ended up getting 2.3 by 10 to power 6 which is the latent heat of vaporisation as stated in previous marking schemes

I think I did that as well

• Advertisement

I just thought of the magnetic flux def which is magnetic flux density by area i think will get attempt marks hopefully :D

I'd say you will don't worry!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Jammysticks

Does anybody know what the circuit diagram for the Q4 expt was?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Seannyyboy

What did people get for the assumptions for the polystyrene cup? (Q,2)
    I said that it had negligible heat capacity and that it's a perfect insulator (ie. No heat loss)

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Benm123

Does anybody know what the circuit diagram for the Q4 expt was?

Yeah it was the circuit with a power source, potential divider/rheostat, ammeter, voltmeter and then filament bulb!
    It was the basic circuit you use for the other IV graph experiments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 2345

What are standing waves and how do they occur
    Seannyyboy wrote: »
    What did people get for the assumptions for the polystyrene cup? (Q,2)
    I said that it had negligible heat capacity and that it's a perfect insulator (ie. No heat loss)
    yep i think thats it
    NO heat loss to surrounding
    and cup doesnt absorb any heat

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭The_N4sir

I did
    E=Mc^2
    And c as speed of light

I got 510.99 MeV then which rounded to a nice 511, which seemed like a more suitable answer than them asking for mega electron volts and then having a 0.something answer.

Also, coming out of the exam my friend who usually gets A1's said he got 0.something but then I asked did he square the speed of light and he said ohhhh **** no he didn't.

I got around 510/520 something electron volts aswell. It was a big number so i don't remember exactl. Should get some marks if it is wrong anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 15 uzpuz

Did anyone do applied electricity apart from me?

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Hon the Dubs

I did
    E=Mc^2
    And c as speed of light

I can't remember if I squared it or not now you've put doubts in my mind :P but I got 0.79 MeV

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Seannyyboy

What are standing waves and how do they occur?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Cr4pSnip3r

Looking for a C3/C2 with how that went. Tbh, that'd be fine with me. Looking for 400 points overall and if I don't fail maths then it should get to about that.

Advertisement