Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***2015 LC Physics - June 15th***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Chocolalla

Cr4pSnip3r wrote: »
    Looking for a C3/C2 with how that went. Tbh, that'd be fine with me. Looking for 400 points overall and if I don't fail maths then it should get to about that.

Same just need around 420 and I'll be happy 👌👌

• Registered Users Posts: 35 otoolej2

Seannyyboy wrote: »
    What are standing waves and how do they occur?

I was'ent exactly sure what they were, but they are formed when two waves travelling in opposite directions with the same frequency and amplitude , meet and combine.

I think i just threw in that there are periodic waves for the "what are they part"

What did people say for the advantages of kelvin as a S.I unit? odd question.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Chickennuggets

Benm123 wrote: »
    Hmm.. This is confusing me.
    I did
    E=Mc^2
    Taking m as mass of electron
    And c as speed of light
    Then put my value for over eV.

I got 510.99 MeV then which rounded to a nice 511, which seemed like a more suitable answer than them asking for mega electron volts and then having a 0.something answer.
    But I'm doubting myself now that others have said they also got 0.something MeV

Also, coming out of the exam my friend who usually gets A1's said he got 0.something but then I asked did he square the speed of light and he said ohhhh **** no he didn't.
    What did anyone else get?

M = mass of neutron minus the mass of the proton and electron ?

M = mass of neutron minus the mass of the proton and electron ?

and minus the mass of the neutrino i think?

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭The_N4sir

I think^^^ is where I went wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Lc2015acc

Chocolalla wrote: »
    I just gave the def for magnetic flux, u?
    The tesla is the SI unit of magnetic flux density. It was in one of the paragraphs of the text I think

otoolej2 wrote: »

Yea , I couldnt find that in the log tables !!

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Hon the Dubs

I thought mass of the neutrino is so small that it's disregarded no?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 AMDD

What are standing waves and how do they occur?

When 2 waves of the same frequency and amplitude meet they produce a stationary/standing wave. This was the definition I was given for Stationary waves so wasn't too sure on how to answer both parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭smartz

Hmm.. This is confusing me.
    I did
    E=Mc^2
    Taking m as mass of electron
    And c as speed of light
    Then put my value for over eV.

I got 510.99 MeV then which rounded to a nice 511, which seemed like a more suitable answer than them asking for mega electron volts and then having a 0.something answer.
    But I'm doubting myself now that others have said they also got 0.something MeV

Also, coming out of the exam my friend who usually gets A1's said he got 0.something but then I asked did he square the speed of light and he said ohhhh **** no he didn't.
    What did anyone else get?

Just did that calculation out again and I got 0.611 MeV, that's without including the mass of the neutrino (because it's so small as to be negligible).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Broseph

Does anybody know what the circuit diagram for the Q4 expt was?

I said that diagram was the one with the power pack, voltmeter, ammeter, filament bulb and the potentiometer. I think potentiometer is right not 100% sure.

What did people get for q5 , the would about sun shinning on pitch

What did people get for q5 , the would about sun shinning on pitch

Cant remember but I got the area of the pitch, multiplied it by the solar constant and multiplied that by 90 minutes (in seconds).

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Seannyyboy

For the question on the energy from beta decay the answer is 0.78 mega electron volts (you can just Google it to find the answer) but if you use the mass values of the proton / neutron etc from page 48 of the log tables (ie. Masses relative to mass of electron) , you will get an answer of 1.022MeV (which if what i did!)
    I just hope i get the marks for it, I mean it's in the log tables like!

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Fiona G

smartz wrote:
    Just did that calculation out again and I got 0.611 MeV, that's without including the mass of the neutrino (because it's so small as to be negligible).

I don't think the mass of a neutrino is negligible. Sure the whole reason they were postulated was because their mass was needed for the equation to work :P

You get the mass of it by multiplying its relative mass by the mass of the electron. Both values in the tables

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

Were we meant to put down the numbers to the decimal places given in the log tables? Spent ages writing down (3.10963296)(2.9979702437)*2....

I was about to write my answers on my exam paper at the end but didn't bother. Kind of annoyed, now that I'm wrecked from Accounting!

Anyways, very nice paper. Could do seven Section B questions fully, so I did six. All went very well, was delighted with Q5. Section A was a bit worse for me. I'd nearly forgotten how to do Boyles law and messed up my calculation for Monochromatic light.

Overall, very happy with that! Expecting a very comfortable A1 :)

Fiona G wrote: »
    I don't think the mass of a neutrino is negligible. Sure the whole reason they were postulated was because their mass was needed for the equation to work :P

You get the mass of it by multiplying its relative mass by the mass of the electron. Both values in the tables

I just did it out another time and still got .611 MeV, this time including the mass of the neutrino. I think the mass is negligible because it's something *10^-31 x 10^-6.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Fiona G

smartz wrote:
    I just did it out another time and still got .611 MeV, this time including the mass of the neutrino. I think the mass is negligible because it's something *10^-31 x 10^-6.

Oh okay, never mind! Apologies :)

For the question on the energy from beta decay the answer is 0.78 mega electron volts (you can just Google it to find the answer) but if you use the mass values of the proton / neutron etc from page 48 of the log tables (ie. Masses relative to mass of electron) , you will get an answer of 1.022MeV (which if what i did!)
    I just hope i get the marks for it, I mean it's in the log tables like!

ye that was my answer also, why do you think its wrong?

Was the question 4 diagram drawn with a potentiometer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 Benm123

smartz wrote: »

Just realised that I gave the wrong equation for beta decay which then lead me to using the wrong masses for the calculation...
    On top of that I then got 511 eV which for some reason in the exam I perceived to be mega electron volts, i.e without changing it to mega myself...

So I'm suddenly gone from expecting a solid B1 to now doubting myself completely...
    Should not have come onto this forum lol

Just realised that I gave the wrong equation for beta decay which then lead me to using the wrong masses for the calculation...
    On top of that I then got 511 eV which for some reason, in the exam I perceived to be mega electron volts, i.e without changing it to mega myself...

So I'm suddenly gone from expecting a solid B1 to know doubting myself completely...
    Should not have come onto this forum lol

That's a maximum of 9 marks lost and you get marks for attempting to find the MeV aswel so at worst it's about a 3/9 which is only 6 marks!!

Has anyone got a marking scheme?

ye that was my answer also, why do you think its wrong?

Because if you use the values of the masses relative to the electron, you get 1.022 instead of 0.78 because those values are rounded up and so are inaccurate, so I'm not sure if we'd get the marks for it

Because if you use the values of the masses relative to the electron, you get 1.022 instead of 0.78 because those values are rounded up and so are inaccurate, so I'm not sure if we'd get the marks for it

ouch, that would hurt. I'm think we will still get the marks doe. It would be a bit unfair otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 2345

how did you guys answer the nuclear equation in Q10 one with the beta decay

Can somebody point out what is wrong with this answer for the beta decay:

Mass Defect:
    (1.675x10^-27) - (1.673x10^-27) - (9.109x10^-31)
    = 1.0891x10^-30
    E=mc^2
    E=(1.0891x10^-30)(2.998x10^8)^2
    E=9.788835X10^-14 J
    E = 611038.3993 eV
    E= 0.611 MeV

Can somebody point out what is wrong with this answer for the beta decay:

Mass Defect:
    (1.675x10^-27) - (1.673x10^-27) - (9.109x10^-31)
    = 1.0891x10^-30
    E=mc^2
    E=(1.0891x10^-30)(2.998x10^8)^2
    E=9.788835X10^-14 J
    E = 611038.3993 eV
    E= 0.611 MeV

You're rounding up too much I think, try again with un-rounded values from the tables and you'll get 0.78

You're rounding up too much I think, try again with un-rounded values from the tables and you'll get 0.78

ahh, thanks I did it with the unrounded values and got 0.78 MeV. Didn't think rounding would've made that much of a difference. Hope I don't lose too many marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Hon the Dubs

ahh, thanks I did it with the unrounded values and got 0.78 MeV. Didn't think rounding would've made that much of a difference. Hope I don't lose too many marks.

Wait so are people thinking 0.78 MeV is right? I got that but thought it was a bit peculiar but I was nearly sure I was doing it right!
    Would make my day if it is right
    Also what did people say for the fundamental particle that experiences strong nuclear force?

• Advertisement

Wait so are people thinking 0.78 MeV is right? I got that but thought it was a bit peculiar but I was nearly sure I was doing it right!
    Would make my day if it is right
    Also what did people say for the fundamental particle that experiences strong nuclear force?

I said quark, because I wasn't sure if protons counted as 'fundamental' particles since they are made up of other particles.

Advertisement