Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The FC United of Manchester thread

• 15-06-2015 1:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭

It's been a good 2015 so far for the Red Rebels - the 4,400 capacity Broadhurst Park opened with a friendly against Benfica B, the club qualified for the quarter-finals of the FA Trophy, and most importantly, winning the Northern Premier League secured promotion to Conference North. Now Karl Marginson, who has remained manager since the club's foundation in 2005, has bullishly targeted League Two status as the ultimate goal, tbough Stockport and Boston United will be formidable rivals. Most importantly, club membership has reached an all-time record of 4,000, ensuring development will occur at a gradual, sustainable pace.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

It's been a good 2015 so far for the Red Rebels - the 4,400 capacity Broadhurst Park opened with a friendly against Benfica B, the club qualified for the quarter-finals of the FA Trophy, and most importantly, winning the Northern Premier League secured promotion to Conference North. Now Karl Marginson, who has remained manager since the club's foundation in 2005, has bullishly targeted League Two status as the ultimate goal, tbough Stockport and Boston United will be formidable rivals. Most importantly, club membership has reached an all-time record of 4,000, ensuring development will occur at a gradual, sustainable pace.

You based over there? How high do you see the ceiling that the club can reach realistically?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I think ultimately FCUM will end up hitting a ceiling around where Wimbledon have - lower-half of League Two. I'd be surprised if they can establish themselves any higher than that,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

They get excellent crowds for that level, averaging 2000 is about 1500 or more better than the next team in their old league, the crowds will still be favourable for Conference North (or National League North as it seems to call itself now) but I really can't see them pulling much more than that even if they make to League 2, there isn't much glitz or glamour down there. I actually don't see them making it out of the National League (should they get out of North) that easily anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

CSF wrote: »
    You based over there? How high do you see the ceiling that the club can reach realistically?

Was at one of there games a couple of years back and it had a real LOI feeling to the club. Good friendly welcoming atmosphere in the clubhouse before the game and plenty of chats with fans at the match itself. If they can keep that ethos and have an affordable match day experience I don't see any reason why they can't keep continuing to grow. It might take 20 or 30 years but they could be a decent sized club like a Wigan or a Bolton.

doncarlos wrote: »
    Was at one of there games a couple of years back and it had a real LOI feeling to the club. Good friendly welcoming atmosphere in the clubhouse before the game and plenty of chats with fans at the match itself. If they can keep that ethos and have an affordable match day experience I don't see any reason why they can't keep continuing to grow. It might take 20 or 30 years but they could be a decent sized club like a Wigan or a Bolton.

Even with United and City being from the EXACT same location? Hard to see it. At least Bolton and Wigan are defined areas of their own.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

Splitters!

Even with United and City being from the EXACT same location? Hard to see it. At least Bolton and Wigan are defined areas of their own.

Spot on, and within 10 to 20 miles and very good transport links of about half a dozen other clubs, most of which have been struggling in the lower reaches of the leagues for years.

Going to be honest and say I don't have much time for FC United for that reason, and they are the new darlings of the hipsters since they moved on from Wimbledon. Not that I am accusing anyone on this thread of being hipsters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Spot on, and within 10 to 20 miles and very good transport links of about half a dozen other clubs, most of which have been struggling in the lower reaches of the leagues for years.

Going to be honest and say I don't have much time for FC United for that reason, and they are the new darlings of the hipsters since they moved on from Wimbledon. Not that I am accusing anyone on this thread of being hipsters.

That is AFC Wimbledon you are thinking of.

FC United was formed by Man Utd supporters in opposition to the Glazer's takeover of Manchester United.

I wouldn't go that far as regards the people of Manchester. Having had the identity of their club stolen from them, and City clearly not being an option, I can understand it. Their business model is one to be commended aswell.

But like AFC Wimbledon, St Pauli and Real Oviedo before them, it's only natural that the club has attracted hipsters along the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Think he meant the hipsters have moved on from supporting Wimbledon.

Of course, anybody that finds a supporter owned club with a grassroots ethos attractive is a hipster. Goes without saying.

Of course, the millions that support whatever flavour of ManPoolLona is currently in the ascendant could never be accused of hopping on bandwagons.

FCUM are intriguing. They're like a member club in the LOI but in a country with a better /wider genuine football culture. Also they also seem to have stayed true to the ethos so far without infighting or disillusionment.

I'd love to see them continue to do well. Even if they stall another few leagues up, it's still been a fantastic achievement.

• Advertisement

Yeah I think they have the potential to become a huge club. They are owned by the fans and that becomes more attractive the more successful they become. Like if they reach the football league they could have 20000 followers/shareholders by then. It could take off from there and they could become a genuinely huge club as a lot of people are getting fed up of billionaire owners and might like to be part of something special that might just be able to take on the clubs with huge money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

In fairness, just matching Wimbledon's example and potentially Bury, Rochdale etc would seem to be the very height of their ambitions, and the Gigg Lane groundshare suggests they never intended to cause friction with local clubs. No, not living in Manchester, just read a David Conn article on them in World Soccer straight after they formed, and the business model being close to the GAA mentality increased the interest. Once they hit National League Premier, will be interesting to see how TV and professionalism compromises their cultural ethos, or if they can co-exist.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Yeah I think they have the potential to become a huge club. They are owned by the fans and that becomes more attractive the more successful they become. Like if they reach the football league they could have 20000 followers/shareholders by then. It could take off from there and they could become a genuinely huge club as a lot of people are getting fed up of billionaire owners and might like to be part of something special that might just be able to take on the clubs with huge money.
    Where do you get these people from? Most people in Manchester already have a club. The ones who were disgruntled with United having lost their identity would have already largely made the move. You'd get a few more but not that many I don't think.

Where do you get these people from? Most people in Manchester already have a club. The ones who were disgruntled with United having lost their identity would have already largely made the move. You'd get a few more but not that many I don't think.
    You'll get people from all over who like the idea of being part of a club they own a piece of. The name of the club has huge marketability due to the other club with a similar name. The more successful they get the more likely fans of that other club will start to look at this new club as something attractive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

4000 members is a decent number. If they all pay annual subs, that's a steady amount of cash coming in on top of other income.

It's not static though. They could get younger supporters, like the kids of members for a start. Having a soft spot for United as well via TV and occasional game wouldn't be mutually exclusive.

You'll get people from all over who like the idea of being part of a club they own a piece of. The name of the club has huge marketability due to the other club with a similar name. The more successful they get the more likely fans of that other club will start to look at this new club as something attractive.
    Doesn't that kind of take away from the identity that they set up their own club to achieve?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I don't see it. The Conference, League Two and League One are tough, hard leagues with seasoned pros, huge travelling distances and some very big clubs. Clubs will be looking to put them 'in their place' and I don't think the gallant, romantic story of fan-ownership is going to resonate with fans of other clubs at that level so you may see teams and fans raising their games against them - you've already had one fan of a lower league club in this thread saying that he doesn't have much love for FCUM and as another fan of a club at that level I'd feel similarly tbh.

Can they continue to attract new members when they're battling with Morecambe, Barnet and Exeter in the bottom third of League Two? Will kids in Manchester really want to go to watch Bury or Colchester on a cold Tuesday night instead of watching United or City in the Champions League that same evening?

You can ride the crest of a wave for a while but ultimately you come back to your core fan-base which is built up over decades and generations. Wimbledon had that. FCUM don't.

The first-ever home league, predictably, is at home to Stockport. Tamworth and Fylde, the Man City of the division, make it a steep early learning curve.

http://fc-utd.co.uk/m_story.php?story_id=6242

A tough start to the National League North, as FCUM lost 1-0 away to Gloucester City, with goalkeeper Greg Carnell saving a first-half penalty. Tonight, however, is the much-anticipated first home match against Stockport, so a full house is to be expected.

Even if results have been disappointing to date, the fans are attending in numbers, with 3,100 for the Stockport game, rising to 3,520 for Tamworth (also at home), the following Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Their kit is made by O'Neills interestingly enough. Lovely jerseys.

Not a Man U fan myself (Liverpool) but I've a huge amount of respect to how the FCUM people built up their club, I've followed their progress since they started and I seriously hope that they do well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,427 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

A tough start to the National League North, as FCUM lost 1-0 away to Gloucester City, with goalkeeper Greg Carnell saving a first-half penalty. Tonight, however, is the much-anticipated first home match against Stockport, so a full house is to be expected.

Christ Stockport have dropped.
    They were in the second tier, all be it rock bottom all season, back in 2001/2002.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I don't see it. The Conference, League Two and League One are tough, hard leagues with seasoned pros, huge travelling distances and some very big clubs. Clubs will be looking to put them 'in their place' and I don't think the gallant, romantic story of fan-ownership is going to resonate with fans of other clubs at that level so you may see teams and fans raising their games against them - you've already had one fan of a lower league club in this thread saying that he doesn't have much love for FCUM and as another fan of a club at that level I'd feel similarly tbh.

Can they continue to attract new members when they're battling with Morecambe, Barnet and Exeter in the bottom third of League Two? Will kids in Manchester really want to go to watch Bury or Colchester on a cold Tuesday night instead of watching United or City in the Champions League that same evening?

You can ride the crest of a wave for a while but ultimately you come back to your core fan-base which is built up over decades and generations. Wimbledon had that. FCUM don't.

A fair enough point, but my manc cousin (whos in his 60s) and his drinking buddies have all jumped on the FCUM train. They've purchased season tickets. Some of them hold season tickets for both MUFC and FCUM!

I watched them once, 3 seasons ago... they played in Burys home ground and Ryan Giggs brother came on with 20 mins to go. Was a good laugh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Trilla wrote: »

I watched them once, 3 seasons ago... they played in Burys home ground and Ryan Giggs brother came on with 20 mins to go. Was a good laugh!

Aul Ryan must have got a good 3 or 4 hours alone time with his sister in law that day.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Beefy78 wrote: »

Good point. I never really got the comparison with Wimbledon. Some similarities, but ultimately not that similar. Wimbledon fans had their club stolen from them, FCUM fans chose to stop supporting United. Most of FCUM's fans drifted back to United, whereas Wimbledon's fans don't have that option, and the club retains that pretty big hardcore fanbase of the previous Wimbledon incarnation. In time, Wimbledon will most likely go places, FCUM won't. Although I admire the ethos of both

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

When a barrel of oil hits $30 FCUM could be Manchester's 2nd team.

Rough start to the season for them. One point from four games with a -5 goal difference. Bottom of National league north.

Rough start to the season for them. One point from four games with a -5 goal difference. Bottom of National league north.

Seems to be an incredibly competitive division - merely winning two-in-a-row in eight days has lifted them comfortably into mid-table! Won't be troubling the playoffs, one would think, but have settled into the new tier now.

http://www.footballconference.co.uk/tables.php?division_id=4

And suddenly they're within touching distance of said playoffs!

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/tables

• Advertisement

Though going through a bad League run, their 3,500 average attendance is better than eight League Two clubs and even two League One teams! The FA Cup has proven more fruitful, as wins over Witton and Buxton have seen FCUM progress to the final qualifying round. Victory Saturday week would see Wigan and Sheffield United as potential first round opponents.

Well my admiration for the club has gone up a bit. BBC requested they reschedule their cup tie for some TV programme and they refused.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/fc-united-reject-bbc-request-6667241

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Haha, what a statement.
    “If BBC viewers would like to understand the fans’ experience at a football game there are numerous real life games at every level throughout the country and the easiest way for TV viewers to access the real fans’ experience is to go along to a match. For a more in depth experience they could volunteer like many non-league fans do week in and week out.”

Won't go down well on this forum I'd say.

butbutbut watching on telly is just as good.

They draw Chesterfield at home - League One opposition currently out-of-form, so can be optimistic of a potential upset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The last BBC request wasn't an official contractual request. It was just a case of we rub your back, you rub ours.

What happens now that the competition has started proper and the BBC/BT have full rights to the games? They can now move any game they wish to suit TV and I would imagine FCUM against Chesterfield would be a very appealing 1st round game.

I reckon there could be a massive storm brewing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The last BBC request wasn't an official contractual request. It was just a case of we rub your back, you rub ours.

What happens now that the competition has started proper and the BBC/BT have full rights to the games? They can now move any game they wish to suit TV and I would imagine FCUM against Chesterfield would be a very appealing 1st round game.

BBC to make them play at 7am on a tuesday. :D

• Advertisement

They were on ESPN twice during the cup run five years ago - but both ties were away, so moving a home game would certainly be more controversial.

They've actually said in the statement lined above that they are not against the moving of games.
    FC United is not intrinsically opposed to the re-arrangement of a fixture time, provided that it meets with the approval of and benefits the respective clubs and their supporters. In 2007, members of FC United voted in favour of entering the FA Cup and acknowledged the competitions rules and TV contracts.

So yeah, no controversy at all really.

link

No problem with TV, but they do object to Mondays, being a workday:

http://www.fc-utd.co.uk/m_story.php?story_id=6474

and that's a fair enough statement, they knew the FA wouldn't move it back though, but they were right to ask, and right to further register their displeasure.

the gesture to issue £1 vouchers to compensate the fans for the over-charging is brilliant too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

and that's a fair enough statement, they knew the FA wouldn't move it back though, but they were right to ask, and right to further register their displeasure.

the gesture to issue £1 vouchers to compensate the fans for the over-charging is brilliant too.

Proper way to run a football club.

In marked contrast to the article in the Guardian at the weekend about the ticket prices for kids at West Ham v Chelsea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Live on BT Sport Monday night. Playing Chesterfield in the FA Cup.

BTW,Salford City are live on BBC tomorrow evening.

Derry City fans will doubtless be keeping an eye out to see if Rory Patterson is in his usual prolific vein of form!

A mixed bag of a season for the club - roughly mid-table, but an average attendance of 3,400 is higher than that of many League Two clubs. That said, an ongoing row between fans and the club board has degenerated into a virtual civil war:

http://www.afinelung.com/?p=7450

Advertisement