Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puppy Help

• 15-06-2015 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

We got a Collie puppy last Monday, he is the second dog currently in our house and our fifth dog in total over the years.

I don't know if we have just been lucky over the years with puppies or if its a collie (stubborn) thing. A week later and he still doesn't recoginse his name and is wetting everywhere and anywhere.

Should we be worried yet our where we just supper spoilt with our other puppies with toilet training and name recognition?

Any advise would be super helpful.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

What are you doing as a routine to toilet train him?

Are you using treats to get him used to his name? Call his name, get his attention and reward straight away.

eeyore2502 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

We got a Collie puppy last Monday, he is the second dog currently in our house and our fifth dog in total over the years.

I don't know if we have just been lucky over the years with puppies or if its a collie (stubborn) thing. A week later and he still doesn't recoginse his name and is wetting everywhere and anywhere.

Should we be worried yet our where we just supper spoilt with our other puppies with toilet training and name recognition?

Any advise would be super helpful.

Assuming you got him from a reputable source, I would take him to your Vet for a thorough check up. It's possible that you were lucky with previous puppies! I know it's a different breed, but our Male Westie was very easy to house train, while the female a few years later, nearly broke our hearts!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

Maybe if you explain what you are currently doing in terms of training for name and toileting people can help.
    As it is a collie, is he an unwanted farm dog? If so, he probably pee'd/pooed in a shed and is used to going inside?

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭eeyore2502

Yes we are trying to train with treats and playing with toys to make it all fun and games but he just isn't getting it.

We are also putting him out with our other dog quite a lot hoping he will follow suit with our 4 year old springer with doing his business in the back garden but he could be out there for a while and back in 2 seconds and he could wet the floor, he is slowing starting to realise its wrong as he wets and goes running from the spot. I'm going to get puppy toilet training mats today when I go out to see if they will do the job for us.

He has had a full vet check over last Wednesday and all went well. Absolutely nothing wrong with his hearing as he can hear a bowl or cereal or any other food dished up from a different room and goes running to see what is happening and if he is the one getting the food.

Mum and dad are cattle dogs and he is 9 weeks old so we have him from 8 weeks old so not an unwanted dog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

Sorry, I wasn't implying that he is unwanted, but just if he spent his first 8 weeks, with his mum on a farm, chances are he was in a shed/outside and the distinction between what is allowed inside and whats allowed outside may not be so clear.

By unwanted I meant unwanted on the farm.

Sorry, I wasn't implying that he is unwanted, but just if he spent his first 8 weeks, with his mum on a farm, chances are he was in a shed/outside and the distinction between what is allowed inside and whats allowed outside may not be so clear.

By unwanted I meant unwanted on the farm.

From what the owner said they spent all day outside and night in the kitchen, which I do tend to believe as he wasn't phased by being in door at all, other then not quite knowing where he should be doing his business.

I feel lots of fun times ahead with this puppy :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

You need to be taking him out to the toilet and rewarding him when he goes outside (you can also take the opportunity to teach a 'go to the toilet' cue). If you're just letting him out and hoping he goes you're missing the opportunity to teach him that weeing in the garden makes you give him treats while weeing in the house gets him nothing.

we are currently overly praising him when he goes in the garden, our neighbours probably think we are slightly mad if they hear us congratulating him in the garden. We haven't introduced treats yet but we will start doing today and see if that helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

You only have him a week. He is only 9 weeks old. This is an incredibly short time and he is very very young, so dont worry, you will wonder in a few weeks why you were bothered!

First of all, ROUTINE ROUTINE ROUTINE ROUTINE ROUTINE ROUTINE!!

Hopefully you are home all day: constantly bring him out to the garden, if he pees, give him a little treat, lots of rubs and strokes. If he pees in the house, say NO! and bring him outside to the garden. Do this all day long :D and very especially after he eats/drinks/sleeps/goes to bed. Hes a collie, he is super bright (hopefully! - I had a special needs collie :rolleyes:) he will soon get the idea.

(Just a personal thing but I think puppy training pads are a very bad idea! You are telling him its ok to pee in the house. Then when you want to get rid of using the pads hes not to pee in the house! Plus they are expensive. Just get in to the routine of getting him out to pee in the garden)

Good luck!
    photo??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭5p9arw38djv2b4

What treats are you training with, my collie pup was never handled and took a while to get used to people, his name etc. We had a trainer come out and used tiny bits of cheese to train with... We kept that up and he learns everything so quickly. If he is running away from where he pees it means he is confused, he pees cause he needs to, but then you shout so he gets upset so he must pee but he feels it wrong. He doesn't understand why - only stop him peeing mid pee if you can catch him and lift him up and move him outside to finish. Otherwise don't give out to him if you don't catch him in time. (I feel your pain currently training an incontinent beagle that only wants to pee inside)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Def do not use puppy pads. They are the worst thing in terms of training as they encourage the puppy to go inside which is not what you want.
    Start as you mean to go on. Outside every time. Pads only confuse a pup. You can't expect them to go outside but allow them to go on a pad inside?

We never got the puppy pads in the end just keeping up with putting him out regularly and praising him. Treats we are using are little soft chicken and rice treats from maxizoo.

He is starting to acknowledge his name, when it suits him :)

Advertisement