Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Scams have you only just Realised?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭LadyFenghuang

AlphaRed wrote: »
    Yeah? Where's the scam?

Deception was his job. Soviet Subversion of the Free-World Press. The scam. Deception was his very job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Collie D wrote: »
    Have had dogs pretty much all of my life and not one was licensed. Wouldn't even know where to get one or how much they cost.
    I cannot understand what even the concept of a dog licence is - licence for what? Where does licence money go?

It seems a particularly blatant 'lets tax that' scam.

Have had dogs pretty much all of my life and not one was licensed. Wouldn't even know where to get one or how much they cost.

:-/

A post office you buy it over the counter. An individual license for one dog for one year is twenty Euro. For one lifetime (meaning you never have to get one again for that dog, it's the dog's lifetime not yours you still need to for other dogs) is 140 Euro.

PLEASE get one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

Paying 50 euro at the doctors and getting the wrong advice. You should only have to pay if they diagnose and heal your problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭AlphaRed

Deception was his job. Soviet Subversion of the Free-World Press. The scam. Deception was his very job.

Yes but what he says in the video is in our interests

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

International Driving License, a 5 year old could make it.

Also it's not even required in most countries anymore.

Ticket Master booking/handling fee, they charge that sh1t anyway why not just have it already in the ticket price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

PLEASE get one!

What for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

No. Ireland. Rain.
    It really doesn't rain that much in Ireland, especially on the East coast.
    emeldc wrote: »
    Nope, spoke to a customer the other day who was 'skimmed' at an airport. The scam artists are walking around with mobile wireless terminals and anyone with a contactless card gets hit for €15. Think about it. It's simple.
    More than likely skimmed at an ATM than by any kind of card reader. ATM skimming usually involves small test transactions to ensure the card hasn't been blocked and test banks automated fraud systems before they attempt to make big purchases.

Contactless is simple from the end-users' point of view, but it's not as open a system as it appears. Someone who actually has your card could make plenty of small purchases with it at legitimate retailers, but it's very hard to set up a "fake" retailer and attempt to charge cards. The system is based on the fact that there's a hierarchical trust relationship - the terminals are trusted by the payment processor, who in turn is trusted by the bank. One could quite easily create fraudulent terminals, but getting a payment processor to take payments from them would be fair more difficult. Like printing cheques with a fake bank name on them and seeing if BOI will cash them for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

osarusan wrote: »
    I cannot understand what even the concept of a dog licence is - licence for what? Where does licence money go?

And is the licence for the owner or the dog ie if I've two do I have to pay twice? What if one has pups?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    The interesting thing there is that there has been 0 reported cases of fraud from this.
    What they say is true, but how it's used is the more difficult thing. Encoding the data onto a mag card is all they can do, and they dont get the full track data. So a fairly useless bit of plastic. They can't create an Chip/EMV card from it either.
    Now if the fraudsters set themselves up as a financial institution and had mobile Contactless terminals and allowed to take transactions from all IMDs, then they would be onto a winner.

Thats good to know! Its crazy how many stories there are when you search for it but as you say not a single example of someone its actually happened to!

osarusan wrote: »

It's for the control of dogs act. They need to know what types of dogs are in the country etc. You have to be over 16 so no kids can.

It's for dog control.

The fine if you get caught is more than the license. It's worth it. 20 euro for the year. And 140 for the dogs lifetime. Well worth it and it helps in the control of dog breeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

:-/

A post office you buy it over the counter. An individual license for one dog for one year is twenty Euro. For one lifetime (meaning you never have to get one again for that dog, it's the dog's lifetime not yours you still need to for other dogs) is 140 Euro.

PLEASE get one!

Why? I would still be the same responsible dog owner with one as I am without one. Also, are there any criteria or tests to get one? If not, then what's the point? Conversely I would also be the same cruel owner who lets his dog **** in kids' playgrounds with one as without one if there are no eligibility requirements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

Prepare for another mass scam, 1c and 2c are to be withdrawn, watch everything get 10% more expensive due to profiteering i.e. rounding off. Just like the Euro rollout.... :-(

wtf?

how on earth could they possible rip you off by doing this?

the only thing getting 10% more expensive is something that costs 4cents. But you can beat the system by buying 3 of them and saving 20%.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭AlphaRed

Why? I would still be the same responsible dog owner with one as I am without one. Also, are there any criteria or tests to get one? If not, then what's the point? Conversely I would also be the same cruel owner who lets his dog **** in kids' playgrounds with one as without one if there are no eligibility requirements.

Aren't they bringing in chiping for dogs soon? As in a chip that holds the information of the dogs owners?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 843 ✭✭✭HandsomeDan

lizzyman wrote: »
    I miss the days when you could just buy 40 or 60 watt light bulbs, screw in or slot in. All this nonsense about CFLs and LED bulbs just annoys the shíte out of me. I have to take the old bulb to the hardware shop just to be sure I'm getting something that fits. And for what? My ESB bills are exactly the same, if not higher than they've always been.

???

If you used to use screw or slot in incandescent bulbs you would still use screw or slot in LED bulbs. Switching to LED isn't going to make any difference to the connectors in your house. What are you arsing on about?
    And for what? My ESB bills are exactly the same, if not higher than they've always been.

And they would be higher again if you were using less efficient bulbs. Sweet mother of jesus...

• Advertisement

Aren't they bringing in chiping for dogs soon? As in a chip that holds the information of the dogs owners?

It's only mandatory for kennel regged dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Todd Toddington III

Do you even lift?

Do you even lift, bro?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

The gym because so many gyms are filled with machines and machines do not build muscle

:confused::confused::confused:

Last I checked, lifting heavy things correctly for an hour a couple of times a week does build muscle.

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    :confused::confused::confused:

Last I checked, lifting heavy things correctly for an hour a couple of times a week does build muscle.

Sure most of the time people just seem to sitting at them while messing around on the phone! After that exertion they go for a walk on the treadmill for a few minutes then get the bus home.

PLEASE get one!

Why do I need a licence for my dog? She's chipped and gets her shots every year. I'm not forking out 20 quid for no bloody reason. Retarded licence. How about introducing a child licence. Now that would make some sense

• Advertisement

Why do I need a licence for my dog? She's chipped and gets her shots every year. I'm not forking out 20 quid for no bloody reason. Retarded licence. How about introducing a child licence. Now that would make some sense

The state wants to try and make sure banned breads are not bred. This helps unplanned breeding. I will not comment on children. I don't compare dogs and people.

By purchasing a license you are helping the overall welfare of all dogs. And it's the law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Food intolerance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭aziz

I have a black and white dog,does that mean the licence is cheaper?:D

I get my coat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

aziz wrote: »
    I have a black and white dog,does that mean the licence is cheaper?:D

I get my coat

better yet, if he was invisible and only barked, you don't need a licence for him at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

Privatization. The promise that it will 'cost less', when all it does is just move costs from the public balance sheet, onto the wider population in the form of bills/payments (which are usually higher than what the previous cost would have been in taxes).

Deregulation. Literally enabling scamming/fraud on a massive economy-wide scale - sometimes on an international scale, e.g. LIBOR.

Austerity: The promise that cutting spending and increasing taxes will bring economic recovery. When instead it just shrinks the economy, reducing tax intake and requiring even harsher cuts/taxes, further shrinking the economy and setting in place long-term stagnation.

The banking/monetary system:
    Banks literally create money from nothing and get to charge interest on it, and can use this power to cause massive inflation in parts of the economy (e.g. construction/housing), and then when such a bubble bursts, can force governments to bail them out by threatening economic doom.

Meanwhile, the idea of any reform of the banking/monetary system - especially giving central banks the power to directly fund government (but limited by 2-4% inflation) - is treated by promoters of all of the above, as apocalyptic (usually through lying/misrepresenting, by deliberately ignoring that central banks would be in control of limiting inflation - and instead claim hyperinflation, when central banks would prevent that).

The last one is probably one of the biggest and most successful ongoing 'scams' in modern history (although scam is the wrong word, because there is no conspiracy, people just don't realize the faults in the monetary system), because people in general have such a large disinterest in economics (evident in how stuff like this gets panned as 'boring'), that they don't even see this one - and facing it triggers massive cognitive dissonance in people (more than any other topic I've encountered).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Privatization. The promise that it will 'cost less', when all it does is just move costs from the public balance sheet, onto the wider population in the form of bills/payments (which are usually higher than what the previous cost would have been in taxes).

Deregulation. Literally enabling scamming/fraud on a massive economy-wide scale - sometimes on an international scale, e.g. LIBOR.

Austerity: The promise that cutting spending and increasing taxes will bring economic recovery. When instead it just shrinks the economy, reducing tax intake and requiring even harsher cuts/taxes, further shrinking the economy and setting in place long-term stagnation.

Banks literally create money from nothing and get to charge interest on it, and can use this power to cause massive inflation in parts of the economy (e.g. construction/housing), and then when such a bubble bursts, can force governments to bail them out by threatening economic doom.

Meanwhile, the idea of any reform of the banking/monetary system - especially giving central banks the power to directly fund government (but limited by 2-4% inflation) - is treated by promoters of all of the above, as apocalyptic (usually through lying/misrepresenting, by deliberately ignoring that central banks would be in control of limiting inflation - and instead claim hyperinflation, when central banks would prevent that).

The last one is probably one of the biggest and most successful ongoing 'scams' in modern history (although scam is the wrong word, because there is no conspiracy, people just don't realize the faults in the monetary system), because people in general have such a large disinterest in economics (evident in how stuff like this gets panned as 'boring'), that they don't even see this one - and facing it triggers massive cognitive dissonance in people (more than any other topic I've encountered).

Right on, man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Watch the small print in the next car advert you see. New car from only €19,999 !!!!!! At the end of the small print which flashes up for a nanosecond at the end of the advert you will see something on the lines of : Model shown is the Limited Edition Super Deluxe Coupé, costing €39,999. The €19,999 model has no wheels or seats and is too poxy to show on TV and...Oh yeah.... the €19,999 doesn't include 'Delivery and related charges'. We will be charging another €800 to €1,200, depending on how thick we think you are, to get your purchase into the same country as you. ."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭blinkey 101

Reep rewards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

It's for the control of dogs act. They need to know what types of dogs are in the country etc. You have to be over 16 so no kids can.

It's for dog control.

The fine if you get caught is more than the license. It's worth it. 20 euro for the year. And 140 for the dogs lifetime. Well worth it and it helps in the control of dog breeds.

You can say the dog is whatever breed you like so who is going to know what exactly?

And don't try and tell me that the dog warden knows a Whippet from a Great Dane.

The state wants to try and make sure banned breads are not bred. This helps unplanned breeding. I will not comment on children. I don't compare dogs and people.

By purchasing a license you are helping the overall welfare of all dogs. And it's the law.

Load of bolix. If the state is intent on actually doing anything for animal welfare start with the puppy farms which are ridiculously under regulated. Then with the legislation, and actual enforcement of dog control. A dog licence is another form of taxation. Its dangerous breeds, not banned which btw is a rediculous list containing the likes of the german shepherd but not the equally built and similiar belgian shepard. To quote someone smarter than me The law is an ass.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭lizzyman

???

If you used to use screw or slot in incandescent bulbs you would still use screw or slot in LED bulbs. Switching to LED isn't going to make any difference to the connectors in your house. What are you arsing on about?

And they would be higher again if you were using less efficient bulbs. Sweet mother of jesus...

No they wouldn't. My ESB bills are the same now as they were prior to the new bulbs coming in a few years ago. They may be more efficient in theory but in real terms I'm not saving anything.

No mate, socialism is one of the biggest scams going.

No they wouldn't. My ESB bills are the same now as they were prior to the new bulbs coming in a few years ago. They may be more efficient in theory but in real terms I'm not saving anything.

Maybe because you got energy saving lights you thought you may as well leave them on it'll be grand so and without realising it you have the lights on way more than usual. Or maybe you have actually been scammed and they're regular bulbs in energy saving packaging did you get them from Big Jim down the centre?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

The state wants to try and make sure banned breads are not bred.

How does a dog licence prevent this?? Afaik, there aren't any banned dogs in Ireland, just a restricted breed list. And even if it were the case, they leave it up to you to put down the breed of dog on the licence, it's not checked. I could say I have Shih Tzu and actually have a pit bull, they don't check it.
    This helps unplanned breeding.

The licence has exactly zero impact on anything to do with banning dogs from breeding, whatsoever.
    By purchasing a license you are helping the overall welfare of all dogs.

Sadly, that's not necessarily true. I would have no problem paying a licence if I thought this was the case, and the money went directly towards the PROPER running of local pounds and encouraging pounds to rehome, or creating facilities for dog owners, or anything constructive, but it doesn't. It goes into a general council kitty and isn't designated towards animals specifically.
    And it's the law.

Meh. I'll buy one when I'm asked. Which has happened twice. I get asked for a licence, I don't have it on me, I am given a couple of weeks to send a copy to the warden. So I buy one same day and post it on, no issues. Even though it's the same date- they don't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

They are more efficient, it's just that that lightbulbs are a very small portion of your over all bill. It wasn't costing that much in the first place basically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

seamus wrote: »
    It really doesn't rain that much in Ireland, especially on the East coast.

LOL

They are more efficient, it's just that that lightbulbs are a very small portion of your over all bill. It wasn't costing that much in the first place basically.

So there is no real benefit to the consumer then, considering the new bulbs are far more expensive to buy in the first place.

So there is no real benefit to the consumer then, considering the new bulbs are far more expensive to buy in the first place.

LEDs last pretty much forever. The savings are in replacement bulbs. They also consume a lot less power. You can work out the difference using simple math, but I wouldn't if I were you.

jimmii wrote: »
    Maybe because you got energy saving lights you thought you may as well leave them on it'll be grand so and without realising it you have the lights on way more than usual. Or maybe you have actually been scammed and they're regular bulbs in energy saving packaging did you get them from Big Jim down the centre?

What kind of ridiculous logic is that? My lights are on the same as the always have been. I have the lights on when I'm home and turn them off when I go out and when I go to bed.

And no, they are energy saving bulbs.

• Advertisement

LEDs use less energy. There is no 'in theory about it', they are saving you money.

I'm not seeing any benefit on my ESB bills. If the new bulbs were that much better then I should be saving money - I'm not.
    LEDs last pretty much forever. The savings are in replacement bulbs.

I find myself replacing them just as often as before.

What kind of ridiculous logic is that? My lights are on the same as the always have been. I have the lights on when I'm home and turn them off when I go out and when I go to bed.

And no, they are energy saving bulbs.

Hmmm the mystery is deepening. Is it possible that you are just sleeping a lot less and therefore have the lights on a lot more? If you have bought a lot of lamps recently that could also explain it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Forest Demon

PRSI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Chucken wrote: »
    LOL

The east coast is relatively dry. It's the rest of the country that experiences incessant rain.

Here. Learn.

http://www.met.ie/climate/rainfall.asp

I'm not seeing any benefit on my ESB bills. If the new bulbs were that much better then I should be saving money - I'm not.

You are prob using CFLs. LED are better. They last pretty much forever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

price of electricity going up and as your appliances age they're alot less efficient so your bills should be going up.

and if you're replacing led bulbs as often as old style bulbs you need an electrician as you have major problems .

• Advertisement

jimmii wrote: »
    Hmmm the mystery is deepening. Is it possible that you are just sleeping a lot less and therefore have the lights on a lot more? If you have bought a lot of lamps recently that could also explain it.

So now I'm not only leaving the lights on all the time because fúck it why not AND I've been on a lamp buying spree?

This is my experience:

- The new bulbs cost more than the old
    - They last about as long as the old
    - My lights are turned on the same as always
    - My ESB bills have remained the same

So everything is the same besides the higher cost of the new bulbs. €10 today for two LED bulbs in my local hardware store whereas before I could have bought two bulbs for a few euro.

All in all, it's a scam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Saipanne wrote: »
    The east coast is relatively dry. It's the rest of the country that experiences incessant rain.

Here. Learn.

http://www.met.ie/climate/rainfall.asp

Ya, I don't need to learn. I lived in the incessant rain side.

So now I'm not only leaving the lights on all the time because fúck it why not AND I've been on a lamp buying spree?

I knew we'd get to the bottom of it in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Likes on facebook

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

https://www.electricireland.ie/residential/help/efficiency/what-is-one-unit-of-electricity

• Advertisement
Advertisement