Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Scams have you only just Realised?

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Getting free house = no rent/mortgage = more money for other stuff = wealth ?

A son or daughter inheriting a house from their parents is still liable for 33% inheritance tax if the property is worth over 225,000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭CINCLANTFLT

A son or daughter inheriting a house from their parents is still liable for 33% inheritance tax if the property is worth over 225,000.

Go on my son!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Go on my son!

Cor blimey. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Why should some people get their houses for free ?

Like the professionally work shy?

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hans Bricks

Why should some people get their houses for free ?

Why shouldn't they ? It's a debt free asset with no creditors awaiting their dues on it. There's a whole class of people in this country who are entitled to a free home and allowances because they had a kid whilst financially unprepared or come from a "deprived area"/familial culture of state dependence.
    Getting free house = no rent/mortgage = more money for other stuff = wealth ?

And we can assume that more money is subject to income tax, VAT paid on any other asset/consumer item, PRSI. Should they wish to sell that semi-d, they are also subject to Capital Gains Tax on that asset. I don't see why someone intending to turn it into a primary residence or holding it under sentimental value should be effed in the A with a 33% extortion charge unless it's providing an income stream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Enjoy Heroin Responsibly

Why shouldn't they ? It's a debt free asset with no creditors awaiting their dues on it.
    How -even if this is the case (which it isint always) is this a reason why someone should get it for free (thereby securing an advantage over the majority of society who have to pay for their houses) without having to pay tax on it ?
    There's a whole class of people in this country who are entitled to a free home and allowances because they had a kid whilst financially unprepared or come from a "deprived area"/familial culture of state dependence..
    Nobody gets a free house because they come for a particular area. You are spouting irrelevant nonsense.
    And we can assume that more money is subject to income tax, VAT paid on any other asset/consumer item

The "I should have lots of money because sure wouldn't I have to pay tax when I spend it" argument ? Rubbish !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

How -even if this is the case (which it isint always) is this a reason why someone should get it for free (thereby securing an advantage over the majority of society who have to pay for their houses) without having to pay tax on it?

It's never black and white. How do you know they're getting it for free. Very often adult children give up the best part of their adult lives and careers to care for an elderly parent. To say they inherit a free house is a bit wide of the mark when they've lost pretty much everything else. And when they inherit their free house, they often have to sell it to pay the tax on it. Yea, that sounds fair alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Mechanical Clocktail

Lads could ye fcuk off elsewhere, ye're ruining the thread.

How -even if this is the case (which it isint always) is this a reason why someone should get it for free (thereby securing an advantage over the majority of society who have to pay for their houses) without having to pay tax on it ?

If it was €225,000 or below they wouldn't be paying tax on it at all. Why all of a sudden do they have an advantage because it may be over that threshold ? Assuming they don't even sell it and move into the dwelling as a primary residence. Like I said, they would be paying CGT on it if that were the case, they're not currently reaping financial benefits or extra income on it so why tax them ?
    Nobody gets a free house because they come for a particular area. You are spouting irrelevant nonsense.

I'm just saying that a lot of people do essentially get free houses through the social housing system. Let's not kid ourselves here.

The "I should have lots of money because sure wouldn't I have to pay tax when I spend it" argument ? Rubbish !

:confused: You're putting words in my mouth. People don't inherit a detached or semi-d with the add on feature of a money tree and just stop working and contributing to society.

My argument really boils down to a private asset. The same rules of inheritance tax applies to it should the owner wish to liquidize it. I genuinely can't see the need to tax something like a dwelling which currently has no financial benefit to the owner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I think a lot of masters programmes are scams designed to make money for the college.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

I'm just saying that a lot of people do essentially get free houses through the social housing system. Let's not kid ourselves here.

By your logic, anyone who rents a house gets it for 'free'.

pablo128 wrote: »
    By your logic, anyone who rents a house gets it for 'free'.

Does every social housing tenant work and pay rent to the council for it though ?

Does every social housing tenant work and pay rent to the council for it though ?

Every social housing tenant pays rent. Forget the working issue, as social housing by its nature is intended for those who are unable to buy a house or afford private rent.

Every social housing tenant pays rent. Forget the working issue, as social housing by its nature is intended for those who are unable to buy a house or afford private rent.

Not to sound vindictive or come across as a rabid dole basher, but the 188 + rent allowance which comes from the Department of Social Protection is paying that rent. So with regards to possessing a 'free' home in the inheritance analogy, is it not technically free ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Worked in the public sector. They would have to hire four people to get the work of one done. It's a disaster.

I worked in both. Wasters in both tbh. Plenty of nepotism in the private sector too.

Not to sound vindictive or come across as a rabid dole basher, but the 188 + rent allowance which comes from the Department of Social Protection is paying that rent. So with regards to possessing a 'free' home in the inheritance analogy, is it not technically free ?
    Does every public servant get everything for free? They are paid from the public purse too.

Does every public servant get everything for free? They are paid from the public purse too.

For providing public services. Pablo I was really just using the social housing argument as a parallel to inheriting or should I say obtaining a property without really having to pay for it. I really know how to drag a thread off topic. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Any ice cream cone or fried chicken for €1 or less. You're purchasing gunk mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

biggest scam of all... the catholic church

think about it, its run by an elderly virgin living in a palace in Rome, telling married couples how they should live their lives

its lunacy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

The school system. It's meant to teach kids how to think; instead it teaches them how to read what 'authorities' think and regurgitate it when asked a question.

Advertisement