Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tipping Away...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Outside

youngrun wrote: »
    Good mileage since the half. Do you plan 70 miles a week for next month or so under this plan. You mention another race in Galway is that on the plan too.

Not too concerned about total mileage, it's more of a by-product of getting the two sessions done and what feels good in between for recovery. I've been hovering around 60 mpw for a while now and the JD plan has last week as my peak mileage so I don't see myself increasing mileage over the next few weeks.

Running to work is handy, gets the mileage in and it's time I'd be commuting by other means anyway (bike) so might as well spend it recovery running not worrying about pace. Too much of this go and I tend to get a little stale so throwing in the strides helps.

I'll do Galway Bay half. 3 weeks out from Dublin so I'm not going to chance racing it. Too close. Going to do a few miles warm up, race pace 6:17's (1:22:30) for the half hopefully comfortably, then a few miles warm down. Should be a good session to do 3 weeks out.

Wednesday 23rd - 4.6 mi
    4.6@7:56/mi
    Soda bread run: Throw bread in the oven, wash up, go for my usual loop, back home, take bread out of oven, shower, enjoy fresh brown bread with real butter, job.

Thursday 24th - 16.2 mi
    JD 5WTG Q2: 8E - 5x(1km - 3min jog) - 6x(200m R - 200m jog recovery) - 2E

It went: 8@7:13 - 5x1km repeats(3:29, 3:23, 3:25, 3:24, 3:22) - 6x200m repeats(36'', 37'', 36'', 36'', 35'', 35'') - 2.4@7:27/mi

Targets for VDOT 59:
    1km I: 3:25
    R: 37''

Happy with how that went, first 1km was way off and legs were slow to pick up the pace initially but one I had the first one out of the way I managed to find a nice rhythm. Well goosed by the end of the repeats and the 2 mi jog home was fairly laboured but delighted to have that behind me, last weeks sessions still in the legs for sure. I'll take it fairly handy for a few days. Next session will be Sunday morning hopefully, before Berlin Marathon, 20 mi Easy pace. Looking forward to watching Berlin, great Irish crew heading out. Come on Garry Thornton, fellow GCH club mate.

Friday 25th - 0 mi
    Planned on doing 4 mi E after work but didn't get around to it and enjoyed the rest instead.

Saturday 26th - 6.8 mi
    6.8@7:34/mi - Nice easy run after a foggy head this morning, 3 beers last night and felt unusually shook this morning. Bad pint?! Friend home from travels so some catching up done over a few beers. Bit of a head-cold after settling in nicely too but nothing too serious.

Sunday 27th - 20.2 mi
    JD 4WTG Q1: 20E
    It went: 20.2@7:19/mi - https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/911078309
    Good solid long run on a hilly course with the final 13 mi with a GCH club mate. Great morning for it so headed out on a few quite back-roads for a change of scenery. Legs felt great throughout. Got this done nice and early to arrive back home at 9 am to get the final hour of the Berlin Marathon. Some great performances by the Irish and our own G Thornton had a tough final few km to come in at 2:17:19, serious running. Can't fathom that pace for that long, unreal.

Monday 28th - 11 mi
    am: 5.4@7:37/mi
    pm: 5.6@7:39/mi

Tuesday 29th - 4 mi
    4@7:59/mi
    Early morning run, really enjoy these when weather this nice.

Wednesday 30th - 15.1 mi
    JD 4WTG Q2: 6E - 5x(1km - 3minE) - 4E
    It went: 6.2@7:11/mi - 5x1km(3:25, 3:21, 3:22, 3:23, 3:20) - 4.2@7:13/mi
    Easing back slightly on the mileage this week and all the better for it, session felt very comfortable and was able to push the pace a little on the 1km's. The 3min Easy running in between makes recovery slightly trickier but session flew. Next up is Galway Bay Half marathon on Saturday morning and I'll use this to run 13.1 mi at MP with a few miles warm-up/cool-down. Weather's looking good so hopefully everything goes to plan!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Outside wrote: »
    Monday 28th - 11 mi
    am: 5.4@7:37/mi
    pm: 5.6@7:39/mi

Tuesday 29th - 4 mi
    4@7:59/mi
    Early morning run, really enjoy these when weather this nice.

Wednesday 30th - 15.1 mi
    JD 4WTG Q2: 6E - 5x(1km - 3minE) - 4E
    It went: 6.2@7:11/mi - 5x1km(3:25, 3:21, 3:22, 3:23, 3:20) - 4.2@7:13/mi
    Easing back slightly on the mileage this week and all the better for it, session felt very comfortable and was able to push the pace a little on the 1km's. The 3min Easy running in between makes recovery slightly trickier but session flew. Next up is Galway Bay Half marathon on Saturday morning and I'll use this to run 13.1 mi at MP with a few miles warm-up/cool-down. Weather's looking good so hopefully everything goes to plan!
    Good running did you run all this on road or track with reps
    What's marathon pace have you decided ?!

• Advertisement

Good running did you run all this on road or track with reps
    What's marathon pace have you decided ?!

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/914810865
    On Dangan Track after work so handy for pacing. MP will be 6:17/mi ideally, this will hopefully feel easy-ish on Saturday. We'll soon see!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

You didn't get to run the galway bay half I see. Hope it's nothing serious :)

Thursday - 4.5 mi
    4.5@7:41/mi

Friday - 0 mi
    Rest

Saturday - 17 mi
    Plan called for: JD 3WTG Q1: 2E - 6M - 1E - 6M - 2E
    The Galway Bay Half marathon taking place on my doorstep was a no brainer for this. No interest in racing it as I gave Charleville my best shot a few weeks a go so with 3 weeks to go to Dublin, I don't want to do anything silly. Stick to the plan!

So ended up :2@7:17/mi - 13.1@6:14/mi - 1.9@7:26/mi

Went out a little fast but it wasn't long before I hit a comfortable stride with HR in low 170's. Ended up meeting a Trim AC runner called Sean who happened to be shooting for Dublin marathon and for a 1:22 half today as well so perfect, ended up chatting away for most of the first half. With the height of chatting we ended up slacking off on pace a little around the 5 - 8mi marks so as soon as we realised this we upped the pace a little and with a couple of miles we were back on 1:22 pace by 11miles. We decided we might aswel finish at this pace now so the last couple of miles were a little faster, great to be able to pick up the pace at this stage. Finished in 1:21:46 so I'll take that. Between that and 2 mi warm-up, 2 mi warm-down, it was a great training sessions so that should stand for me for Dublin.
    avgHR ended up to be 175 so ideally I'd like to keep it at that for the marathon but I won't be letting it dictate my pace too much towards end of Dublin, I'm sure I'll be in the red at that stage and HR won't make too much sense any more.

Sunday - 12 mi
    12@7:33/mi
    Legs a little stiff and heavy today so decided on a nice slow 90mins. Legs gradually came around and felt comfortable after 60mins. Didn't force the pace in any way so happy to end up with 7:33's.

Good weekend under the belt. Dublin 22 days and counting...

martyboy48 wrote: »
    You didn't get to run the galway bay half I see. Hope it's nothing serious :)

I have to use my real name for these races, John C bib 953! I was down there alright but with the 2mi warm-up, race, then 2-mi cool down afterwards I didn't get to meet any of ye, some day we will cross paths, some day!

I have to use my real name for these races, John C bib 953! I was down there alright but with the 2mi warm-up, race, then 2-mi cool down afterwards I didn't get to meet any of ye, some day we will cross paths, some day!

I had your name alright, but after looking twice I didn't spot it with my bad eyesight ffs :D:D

• Advertisement

Monday 5th - 0 mi
    Nada

Tuesday 6th - 4 mi
    4@7:34/mi + 10xstrides 18''

Wednesday 7th - 12.6 mi
    JD 3WTG Q2: 2E - 4x(2T - 2minE) - 2E
    It went: 2@7:07/mi - 4x2T@(5:48/mi, 5:51/mi, 6:00/mi, 5:55/mi) - 2@7:34/mi
    avgHR's were: 178, 181, 182, 183 for 2T runs.

Went well, nice evening for it and went comfortably hard just concentration on keeping arms moving. Only a 12 mi mid-week run, weird. 19 days and counting. Taper madness gradually setting in.

Good running, whats the target, 2.40 low should be in your reach ? Any more big ones planned..

Good running, whats the target, 2.40 low should be in your reach ? Any more big ones planned..

I'll be aiming for 2:45 if conditions good. Plan at the start was always to get <2:50 so 2:45 might be a push. We'll see. No racing until Dublin, just following Jack Daniels 2Q plan. XC after will be a nice change.

I'll be aiming for 2:45 if conditions good. Plan at the start was always to get <2:50 so 2:45 might be a push. We'll see. No racing until Dublin, just following Jack Daniels 2Q plan. XC after will be a nice change.

I'd say it's within reach
    Looking ahead it's
    Important to take a short break after marathon and do a bit of pace work when back
    When I was young and somewhat fit running your times or a bit ahead I ran nationals regularly after marathon off no break they generally backfired on me as I was both exhausted and lacked the bit extra pace eh 530 pace v 550 to run well

Thursday 8th - 4.6 mi
    4.6@7:18/mi
    After work loop around Salthill, can't remember too much about this one.

Friday 9th - 5.3 mi
    5.3@7:58/mi
    Run-muting to work.
    Got collected from work and in my Friday haste I left my runners in the changing room so no runners for the weekend.

Saturday 10th - 0

Sunday 11th - 0
    Meant to be a long run today but I'll save it for tomorrow evening when I have shoes.

Monday 12th - 15 mi
    Plan: JD 2WTG !! Q1: 2E - 3x(2T - 2min rest) - 7E
    It went: 2@7:22/mi - 3x2T@(5:51, 5:51, 5:52) - 7@7:17
    T avg HR's: 173, 178, 177

Legs felt funny after 2 days off, so had to be careful with this one not to overdo it and pick up an injury heading into a long run after two days off. HR was very slow to come up to my usual low 180's for the T runs so went off effort and HR was a little lower than usual for the T runs. A good sign I suppose. Left planter fascia is a little tender after that one, better stretch it a nice bit for the next few days.

14 days and counting!! All going good so far (touch wood). Now just to avoid getting sick while working in a hospital...

Very strong tempo running. Will you do any more MP runs even short to get used to it , 6.15 pace for 30 min this week say? Your easy part of the runs have got a lot quicker showing you are fit for battle..

Very strong tempo running. Will you do any more MP runs even short to get used to it , 6.15 pace for 30 min this week say? Your easy part of the runs have got a lot quicker showing you are fit for battle..

Yep, Q2's session this week has 2T miles and 4 marathon paced miles so yourself and Jack Daniels have the same logic! Doing MP miles this close to race day is always tricky, psychologically it's had to comprehend doing 26.2 at that pace but hopefully the taper will sort that out!

Tuesday 13th - 8.1 mi
    8.1@7:27/mi

Wednesday 14th - 4.6 mi
    4.6@7:31/mi

Thursday 15th - 12.6mi
    Plan was: JD 2WTG Q2: 3E - 1T - 2M - 1T - 2T - 1T - 2E
    It went: 3@7:11/mi - 1@5:46/mi - 2@6:19/mi - 1@5:51/mi - 2@6:25/mi - 1@5:57/mi - 2.6@7:39/mi.
    This could have gone better. 1st T pace was way too fast, I think I was concentrating on HR too much and trying to get it in low 180's but for 1mi, it's way too short to try get HR up that much without pushing too hard. Then trying to get HR back down to low 170's for 2mi MP run, i think I ran a little too slow and ended up just outside my planned 6:17/mi. Back to T pace and wheels started to come off fairly lively. Started to feel pretty bad on this leg and thinking back, it was 2:30pm in the day, I was up since 6am with only a bowel of porridge and a banana. I was meant to be doing this earlier but got delayed at work so probably should have grabbed some sort of lunch. What was I thinking. Silly. A bit late to be unintentionally "fat adapting" at this stage. Anyway, ploughed on, did 2nd T in 5:51 which was ok, 2mi MP suffered as I was rapidly running out of juice, 6:22/mi, then finished off with a T pace mi of 5:54 so not too bad but I was running on fumes. Headed for home then and started a rapid descent to an energy low. With about 500m from home I was down to a walk so hit stop and used the walk as an excuse for a warm down. I've never had to walk in the plan so far, this was a new low. In the door and inhaled some food and water. Silly mistake this close to Dublin but managed to get some sort of session done but effort levels were way too high and felt like crap for the next 24hrs. This was probably one of those sessions where MP was to finally feel easy and things should start to click into place for next week but it couldn't have been further from the truth. Ah well, a good excuse to properly take it easy now until Dublin.

Friday 16th - Rest
    Ate and slept well. Separately.

Saturday 17th - 9.3 mi
    9.3@7:50 with 226m of climbing.
    From one of the worst runs in the cycle to one of the best. It happened that I was going to be out west in Connemara for the weekend so packed the trail shoes and got out for a jog around Derroura MTB trails near Ougherterard. Met a few friendly bikers doing their thing while I did mine in the opposite direction (easier to jump out of the way). Can't believe this is my first time this year getting out here. I've been so focused on the road running I forgot the enjoyment I get out of the trails. Nicely refreshing and legs have never been this strong so could really sit back and enjoy the spectacular climbs, and fast, flowing descents. Absolute bliss.

Sunday 18th - 7.2 mi
    7.2@7:28/mi
    Just kept it nice and easy today, legs feeling good. Weather getting nice and chilly. 1 week to go. Fingers crossed we have a repeat of this weekends weather, it would be ideal.

Monday 19th - Rest
    7 days and counting. Going to be a nice easy week with a few Threshold miles on Wednesday to loosen out the legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭dintbo

It seems like you've had a great training cycle Outside. Hope you run the race you deserve next week!

Cheers dintbo. Starting the plan 18 weeks ago seems like an eternity so glad d-day is approaching. It all went according to plan so far anyway and hopefully I've given Jack Daniels plan a good lash. We'll find out soon!

• Advertisement

Good going J, I wouldn't dwell on Thursdays run to much, in the overall scheme
    of things it was only a little blip.

Can't believe you ran Derroura though, I'd be to afraid of a slip or trip this close to DCM, but that's probably me being over cautious :D:D

Hope it goes well for you, you've some solid work put in and I'm sure you'll get a good result :)

Good training, whats the race day target , have you decided
    Where is Derroura, is it near roscahill woods ? Or doon ?

Good training, whats the race day target , have you decided
    Where is Derroura, is it near roscahill woods ? Or doon ?

Derroura is a mountain biking trail just past Oughterard. Just make sure to run in the opposite direction to the bikes so I can see easily just let them by. It's primarily a MTB route so they have right of way. Lovely route but a little rocky underfoot. https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/932038342

If conditions are good, plan will be for a 83-84min first 13.1 miles then ideally a 1-2 min negative split for the 2nd (faster apparently) half.

Tuesday 20th - 8 mi
    8@7:30ish, battery died so a rough guess but felt like that.

Wednesday 21st - 8.1 mi
    JD 1WTG Q2 THE FINAL SESSION!: 3E - 3x(1T - 2min Rest) - 2E
    Nerves creeping in big time, session went well, ignored HR monitor and went off effort, 1mi is way too short to be looking at HR. Session ended up:
    3@7:08/mi - 3xT(5:55, 5:42 ??, 5:50) - 2@7:01
    Wuhoo! JD 2Q 18 week plan, COMPLETED! All sessions done a dusted so nothing to do now but mind myself and cross the fingers for a good race. Delighted with how it went and I'll try elaborate more post marathon but for now the taper madness has well and truly set in.

Thursday 22nd - 4.5 mi
    4.5@7:15/mi
    Hopefully I'll run 26.2 of these 1 min/mi faster on Monday...hmmmm.

Friday 23rd - Nada.
    Finding work and normal social interactions tricky this week, its all marathon marathon marathon in the head. Checking weather today and pretty disappointed it's not looking too good. At least that takes some pressure off now and what ever happens, happens. It's out of my hands now so training done, hay in barn, etc etc.

I think I'm going mad Ted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Best of luck Monday Outside, I can only dream of the paces and training block you put in. Up the Tribesmen!!

Cheer's tang, I'll be making the journey from Galway but a cork man at heart, don't hold it against me!

Cheer's tang, I'll be making the journey from Galway but a cork man at heart, don't hold it against me!

Nothing wrong with Langers either!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

tang1 wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with Langers either!!

Feck sake Tang, are you a UN Peace Envoy.

Everyone knows Cork lads are knobs :)

All the best Outside, smash it up.

TbL

How'd you go today?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

tang1 wrote: »
    How'd you go today?

Think he did a 2.49:49.

Well done Outside

TbL