Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Possible new item

• 15-06-2015 1:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,

Just noticed this when I was having a look at nearby artifacts.

53.332985, -6.603580

Does not seem to show on Google Maps, but when using the Archaeology.ie site it shows as several concentric rings.

Might be nothing, but could be something.

Have reported it so hopefully NMS can tell us if there is anything worthwhile.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bonedigger

The feature you spotted does look remarkably henge-like in shape and size, especially on the OSI's 2005 Orthophotography: http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V2,693006,732301,11,0
    In March this year, I spotted what looks like two ring-barrows no more than 800 metres away to the SW of your find in the townland of Barberstown Upper (see the 'Satellite Archaeology' thread; post #273). I contacted the NMS about these finds and they're convinced that they are ring-barrows too. I've been told they will be recorded as such in due course.
    It would be tantalising to think that we may have a barrow cemetery in close proximity to an earlier or contemporaneous henge monument? Who knows?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭cfuserkildare

Hey Bonedigger,

Would be cool, wouldn't it.

Hopefully it is more than just a modern mark.

It's a shame it doesn't appear on any of the other ortho. images.
    The only way of knowing for sure is by way of excavation, and that's unlikely to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Is there any LIDAR imagery of the area?

tac in Oregon

Hey Bonedigger,

Woman at NMS said that it shows on a map from possibly 2006?

Tac foley,

Am hunting the 'net for any, hopefully GSI might have something.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

I'm not convinced :(
    Optical/chromatic distortions on the OSI colour images are not uncommon.
    See here (subtle example) and here (extreme example). To rule these features in or out really requires supporting evidence from other image sources. If they only appear on one image, then caution is advised.
    Even with the most wishful intent, I am unable to find evidence from any other image source that indicates the existence of a ring feature here.
    Of course, I could be wrong...

I would be slightly more convinced by this cropmark nearby, but again, suspect that it is some form of optical distortion.

Bonedigger, did you call this barrow in previously? It looks familiar.

slowburner wrote: »
    Bonedigger, did you call this barrow in previously? It looks familiar.

No SB, I didn't see this one at all.

Hey Slowburner,

Even on the map you linked to has a marking in the area concerned.

How come no-one else sees it?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Hey Slowburner,

Even on the map you linked to has a marking in the area concerned.

How come no-one else sees it?

What you have pointed out is quite clear, but it might not be archaeology, it might be a trick of the lens.
    I hope I'm wrong, I hope it is archaeology, especially given its proximity to Bonedigger's finds.
    It's also a possibility that there is a feature there, and that the lens flare/chromatic aberration (if that's what it is) overlies the extant feature, or is somehow augmented by it.
    It would be well worth having a look if the field is ploughed sometime.

Hi Slowburner,

As a photographer by trade I would have to say that a lens flare or chromatic abberation,
    I would find it a curious and unnatural shape.
    Also your map and the maps from Archaeology.ie are probably not the same map.
    Their map seems very old, perhaps 6 years plus. Your maps seem much more recent. ( or I have just made a proper eejit of meself.) ;-)

• Advertisement

Hey BoneDigger,

Am looking at the Google map for that area and can see something in the fields split by a fence? also can see something in the dark ( Wooded?) field south of the item.

Can you give me coordinates for the features you've spotted?

Hi folks,

Just revisiting this thread and am still convinced that this is an actual physical item.

On some maps it appears as concentric rings, on other maps as a shadow or a smudge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

Just had a quick look there at the Google Earth and Bing Maps imagery which is of much better resolution.

I'd have to agree with SB and say that it is probably an optical illusion that created the enclosure shape on the OSI 2005 imagery.

Advertisement