Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Principle Private residence

Options
  • 15-06-2015 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭

If my family and i moved into a rented accommodation , or maybe a relatives home (spare room(s)) , from my existing "principal private residence"
    for a period less than 12 months for home renovations for example or if i rented out my existing house for the same period. were exactly is my principal private residence? , my existing home or my rented house (or relatives home ) ? how do i prove by law which one is which? utility bills?,

if we move into a relatives home ( which is their principal private residence)
    how does it effect them?, can two families have the same principal private residence?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Your principle primary residence is wherever you're living. It doesn't matter what you own or rent, it's basically where you sleep. There's no time scale to it I don't think, so if you're 6 months living somewhere that's your primary principal residence.

Two families can live under one roof.

If you're paying rent to them and they live there then you're their lodger, they can earn up to €12,000 rent for a year without owing tax on it.

Is this anything to do with the NPPR? That's not payable since 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

thanks , no nothing to do with that. just want to know what proof is needed to whoever that rented or relatives home is were i am leaving.

must i contact revenue to tell them when we have moved?

Im also worried about my existing home for house insurance and mortgage protection reasons.

what percentage of time is allowed in my existing house verses rented house for the rented house to be my principle private residence, eg. 60% of the time in relatives /rented house and 40% in existing house?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

I guess it depends on who you need to prove it to, people move house all the time so just ask them what proof they need to say you've changed your address. A utility bill and a letter from the owner of the house you're moving in to plus your own ID might be enough.

If you rent your house out you'll need to do a tax return for the rental income, get landlords insurance and tell your bank as it probably changes the terms of your mortgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Typically, if your house is unoccupied for more than 30 days, you need to notify your insurance company of this. Ditto I would notify them if I was doing major renovations, just in case.

You are not required to notify Revenue AFAIK.

Advertisement