Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junior Cert music help

Options
  • 15-06-2015 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

My teacher went on maternity leave for a few months and our substitute was rubbish so could someone please help me, she didnt finish irish music with us all she did was the types of dances, the belfast harp festival and denis hempson and edward bunting. What else do we need to know for irish music? Also has Carmina Burana ever come up as a set work before? What do we need to know on that? Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Mldj

Carmina Burana has not come up in over 17 years, so fingers crossed it will show up on Wednesday. In my opinion, its the easiest set work on the course.
    Know the following definitions:
    Cantata - A musical work composed for soloists, choir and orchestra, usually based on a dramatic text which may be secular or non secular.
    Unitary - Form where each section has same music AA1A2, etc

The piece was composed by carl orff in 1937. O fortuna is in Latin. You need to know the dynampics of each section, and when the voices sing in unison, thirds and octaves. The piece is in the natural minor lah mode, and ends on 9 bars of the D major chord. When a piece is minor and ends in a major chord this is called a Picardy Third.

Irish music is more difficult. You need to know
    The dances
    A collecter (bunting)
    A harper (hempson)
    The trad instruments and a player associated with each
    Composers of Irish music (say Bill
    whelan and write about riverdance.)
    Fusions in Irish music (riverdance fuses vocal, classical, ethnic and irish trad)
    The Sean-nós song tradition (if they ask you to describe a feature of sean nos singing, say ornamentation and unaccompanied.)
    Different types of songs and an example of each (i think theres nine)
    An irish trad group ( eg the corrs)
    The ceili band tradition

If you learn all of these you should be set. Good luck.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Would the Corrs count as a trad group?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 coolmomjeans

Mldj wrote: »
    Carmina Burana has not come up in over 17 years, so fingers crossed it will show up on Wednesday. In my opinion, its the easiest set work on the course.
    Know the following definitions:
    Cantata - A musical work composed for soloists, choir and orchestra, usually based on a dramatic text which may be secular or non secular.
    Unitary - Form where each section has same music AA1A2, etc

The piece was composed by carl orff in 1937. O fortuna is in Latin. You need to know the dynampics of each section, and when the voices sing in unison, thirds and octaves. The piece is in the natural minor lah mode, and ends on 9 bars of the D major chord. When a piece is minor and ends in a major chord this is called a Picardy Third.

Irish music is more difficult. You need to know
    The dances
    A collecter (bunting)
    A harper (hempson)
    The trad instruments and a player associated with each
    Composers of Irish music (say Bill
    whelan and write about riverdance.)
    Fusions in Irish music (riverdance fuses vocal, classical, ethnic and irish trad)
    The Sean-nós song tradition (if they ask you to describe a feature of sean nos singing, say ornamentation and unaccompanied.)
    Different types of songs and an example of each (i think theres nine)
    An irish trad group ( eg the corrs)
    The ceili band tradition

If you learn all of these you should be set. Good luck.

Thanks so much! Do you know is there any way to get questions from past exams on Carmina Burana? my papers only go back to 2003. Also is there any point in learning William Tell Overture since it came up in 2012

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Kbvdpo

spurious wrote: »
    Would the Corrs count as a trad group?

They're not a trad group but a fusion group, they mix different styles of music, or so my textbook says!
    I'd stick with Altan, Planxty, The Dubliners, De Danann or the chieftains for a trad group!

My mistake. Corrs aint a trad group. Id do planxty, it helps if a bill whelan q comes up. Id say dont revise the sections of william tell that came up, but do look over the sections that didnt come up ( sunrise in the alps, shepherd on a mountainside). Look over watermusic as well.

• Advertisement

Dont know where to get papers before 03. Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Mldj wrote: »
    Dont know where to get papers before 03. Sorry.

You get papers on the State Examinations Commission's website?

sryanbruen wrote: »
    You get papers on the State Examinations Commission's website?

http://www.examinations.ie/exammaterialarchive/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Yeah that's the one

Advertisement