Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much alcohol do you drink?

• 15-06-2015 3:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

I drink a maximum of 3 nights per month. On the occasions where I drink to the point of being drunk, it's usually because I'm feeling sh** about something and want to forget about it for a while. I think that may be the definition of alcohol abuse?? It's certainly not the definition of alcoholism or addiction, but I think it might be what alcohol abuse is.

Anyway, on each occasion I'll probably have an average of six drinks, so over the course of a month I'll probably have about 18 drinks or so. How much do you drink per month?

(I decided to go with per month rather than per week as there are some people who might take a week off but still drink a lot over the course of a month.)

The poll is anonymous. To get an average weekly figure just divide by 4.

1 drink = 1 pint of beer or cider etc, or 1 long-neck bottle, or 1 glass of wine, or 1 measure of spirits. We could split hairs about the varying alcohol content of each different type of drink, here, but we'd be here all day.

How many drinks (on average) do you drink per month? 217 votes

0 drinks per month
    0% 0 votes
    1-5 drinks per month
    20% 44 votes
    6-10 drinks per month
    18% 40 votes
    11-15 drinks per month
    11% 25 votes
    16-20 drinks per month
    11% 25 votes
    21-25 drinks per month
    9% 21 votes
    26-30 drinks per month
    6% 15 votes
    31-35 drinks per month
    9% 20 votes
    36-40 drinks per month
    8% 19 votes
    40+ drinks per month
    3% 8 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

What's a drink ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Bottle of beer at home maybe twice a week, and maybe three or four pints in a pub once a month.

With Limerick FC losing so many games, I am drinking less than ever!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,183 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Five or six pints of stout twice a week, around tea-time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Too much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Public_Enema

Right now I drink 6-10 drinks per month and sometimes none at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Generally, zero drinks per month. The odd glass of wine at Christmas or whatever, so I'm not completely teetotal, but it's just not my thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

I've been known to enjoy a sniff of Port at Christmas ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

How much drink do i alchohol ? Not nearly enough !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

2 small cans of Sierra Nevada every single day after the kids are asleep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I have a pint of Tennent's the odd Monday night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Probably too much depending on your viewpoint. I don't drink wine or spirits but I love a good beer.

I generally have two weeks in the month where I'll not drink anything although that can go out the window sometimes with special occasions or other stuff

The alternate weeks, I'd generally have between 6 to 10 pints, usually spread out between Thursday and Sunday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Only drink 3 or 4 times a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭TheBody

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Only drink 3 or 4 times a year.

Same here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

I would have 10 pints per month nowadays though all in one sitting. Previously these sittings would have been more frequent, maybe 6 per month and during my 20's rarely less than 5 times a week ( eek that was 200 drinks a month, god how did I survive that?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It sounds pretty dreadful when you give a monthly figure. Mine would be about 80 drinks a month! :(

Not pints, assuming one 35ml spirit + mixer is a drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭No Voter And Proud

Jaysus I wouldnt even like to count

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

About 6-10 a month....

Never was mad for drinking the way I did in my twenties, I'm in my thirties now and can't handle hangovers like I used to being honest.... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭LadyFenghuang

I would say almost nothing. Maybe once every five to eight weeks. I don't think I have ever been drunk in my life. I am one of those people who keeps asking 'Am i drunk? do I seem drunk??'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭No Voter And Proud

Fieldog wrote: »
    About 6-10 a month....

Never was mad for drinking the way I did in my twenties, I'm in my thirties now and can't handle hangovers like I used to being honest.... :)
    Only one thing stops a hangover and that's a curer! And i'm in my thirties (plus vat)!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Might get a hankering for a couple of glasses of wine every few months, but I don't drink regularly and almost never go out to pubs or restaurants.

I can think of better things to spend money on than alcohol; it's just not a big deal for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Jaysus. Ye all must be lying.
    I'm over 50 pints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭316

I have a couple of gallons of Tennent's every Monday night.

FYP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Don't drink any,
    But when I did it would have been about 60 pints a week and just about a bottle of vodka, sometimes more very seldom less, hence why I don't drink no more :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

Varies a bit between college and the holidays but I'd be 20-40 most months I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

I only ever have a few ales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I'd have one or two drinks a night that easily takes me to the 40+ category.

Just off to make a large G&T now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I saw a poster in my gp's about recommended weekly units of alcohol it used to be 14 for women 21 for men but I noticed via the poster it has lowered now to 11 units for women and I think 17 for men. A unit is a measured level, not a generous home poured measure.

Going by that not exceeding 44 units per month for women is recommended - and although it's a bit like the speeding limits and not a target if you enjoy a drink it's a lot more than you'd imagine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Double post. Apologies ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

In my 20s I was all up for the late night sessions, the early houses and the weekend marathons.

Got a bit older, moved out of Dublin (so public transport was minimal or ridiculously expensive) so started driving everywhere and thus not drinking at all.

Now I wouldn't even bother at home. For me it was always the social aspect that was the appeal rather than going out just to get drunk, but with my friends long since settled down with families and living all over the country these days, getting people together is hard enough, never mind for a session.

Don't get me wrong, I would still have a pint on those times when I am out for the night, but I could easily go months without any alcohol too and I wouldn't miss it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Herpes Cineplex

16-20 a month and then I could go several months without a drop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

osarusan wrote: »
    Bottle of beer at home maybe twice a week, and maybe three or four pints in a pub once a month.

With Limerick FC losing so many games, I am drinking less than ever!

shouldn't that be drinking more than ever given they are losing and it would drive you to drink!!!

Would usually be out drinking two nights per week on average so let's say a conservative 20 drinks a week on average so 80ish or a bit more per month.

There are weeks like race week in galway or when on holidays where Id probably drink nearly 80 drinks in the week :pac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

I go out about 2 times per month and I'd drink 5 or 6 pints worth if I'm out I'd reckon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Op, do you work in the Public Sector?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Enough for me to pass out every night,.

I really need to stop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

I used to drink a lot when I lived in Ireland and the UK.
    Now I live in Vancouver and I used to drink a lot here too and I still do but less frequently now.
    I sometimes go for a meal and have a few beers that I might not have tasted before just to relax.
    I feel all the better for it too mentally and physically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,822 ✭✭✭lertsnim

It varies. It might be 0 one month and it could be 70 the next month.

I would have been about 20 pints a week over 3 nights or so.

For the past year or 2 it was one big blowout a week, so maybe 10 pints and a few silly things like tequila or fat frogs.

Now down to about 10 a week, and rarely go out, so might be 2 nights of a few cans.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

How much alcohol do you drink?

how much do you got ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,283 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Too much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Vex Willems

I don't understand the question. A small child's worth, I suppose.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Will have a glass of wine or a beer about once every six months in a social setting or at christmas at the parent's house.

That's about it really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

I don't drink that often, maybe once a month or every six weeks but when I do, I drink all of my units and then some. So I probably have maybe 8-10 drinks about once a month (usually vodka and diet coke), but usually all in the one night. Other than that I might have an occasional bottle of cider or a cocktail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

A glass of wine (Spanish serving which is smaller than an Irish) every week night, a few glasses Friday night and a few beers (2-3 bottles) and glasses of wine (2-3) Saturday if I go out, which has been less common in the last year.

I know I probably drink too much but...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭Hoop66

I'd be about the same. One or two glasses of wine every night, few more on a Friday, or might have 4-5 pints on Sat afternoon or teatime

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Ten pints/cans of beer, two nights a week. So that puts me at 80 per month. Seem a lot I suppose, especially when it's double the highest poll option.

Can't say I'm concerned about it or feel guilty about it though. There's nothing like a few beers to wind down and chill out. I'd like to reduce the belly a bit though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭etoughguy

MadYaker wrote: »
    Too much

Ditto

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Bottle of wine on a Friday and another Saturday, then maybe 4 cams of cider on a Sunday. So yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Deadzone

Until the screaming in my head stops

• Registered Users Posts: 18 FindersKeepers

imitation wrote: »
    How much drink do i alchohol ? Not nearly enough !

My first thought exactly. Parched now mind you!

• Advertisement
Advertisement