Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can Eircom give me a Log of recieved Calls ?

Options
  • 15-06-2015 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi,

Well to cut a long story short, is there any chance anyone in Eircom can tell me who called me on Friday the 12th of June just gone ?

I have a really old telephone with no caller display and i recieved a call from a person who  managed to extract some information out of me in which i now regret giving to them, they caught me on the spot and asked me a series of questions about my business and i gave them answers to things that i really now regret telling them, it was only later that i realised i had been.. i don't know how to say it, socially engineered ?

After i told them what they need to know, i asked who they were and they hung up, its been tearing me apart and i would really like to know who it was. In the back of my mind i think its another business who is a competitor and i think they used their distributor to phone me up and quiz me about stock and other things, at first they were coming across as a customer so i felt obliged to answer their query's, but later on realised this wasnt the case.

I called Eircom support today, and the woman on the phone told me the only thing i can do is call 1471 and it will tell me the number of the last called recieved, only today i have recieved a call from someone, so it only shows that one and not the number im looking for, i have only received 2 calls in the last 10 days, which was today and friday, im really looking for the number of who called me on Friday the 12th at about 3pm.

I have purchased a brand new philips cordless phone today, ive finally got with the times, but it would be great if anyone can help me at all, im going out on a limb here making this thread.

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Hi,

Well to cut a long story short, is there any chance anyone in Eircom can tell me who called me on Friday the 12th of June just gone ?

I have a really old telephone with no caller display and i recieved a call from a person who  managed to extract some information out of me in which i now regret giving to them, they caught me on the spot and asked me a series of questions about my business and i gave them answers to things that i really now regret telling them, it was only later that i realised i had been.. i don't know how to say it, socially engineered ?

After i told them what they need to know, i asked who they were and they hung up, its been tearing me apart and i would really like to know who it was. In the back of my mind i think its another business who is a competitor and i think they used their distributor to phone me up and quiz me about stock and other things, at first they were coming across as a customer so i felt obliged to answer their query's, but later on realised this wasnt the case.

I called Eircom support today, and the woman on the phone told me the only thing i can do is call 1471 and it will tell me the number of the last called recieved, only today i have recieved a call from someone, so it only shows that one and not the number im looking for, i have only received 2 calls in the last 10 days, which was today and friday, im really looking for the number of who called me on Friday the 12th at about 3pm.

I have purchased a brand new philips cordless phone today, ive finally got with the times, but it would be great if anyone can help me at all, im going out on a limb here making this thread.

Thanks for reading.
    Hi Plastic_Life

[font=Times New Roman","serif]I am genuinely sorry to hear of that. I fully understand calls of this nature can create high level of concern. I equally genuinely sorry to confirm that eircom cannot trace received calls. [/font]

[font=Times New Roman","serif]We are aware that a number of our customers sometimes receive suspicious phone calls - where the caller states they are calling on behalf of eircom advising customers they are aware they have had speed issues recently and to provide access to the PC’s so they can help troubleshoot - although your own case sounds different in respect of the caller.[/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif] [/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]eircom would always advise customers to be extra vigilant of unsolicited callers and report all suspicious calls to their local Garda station. Never disclose any personal or financial data over the phone, and especially to a caller that you are not expecting.[/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif] [/font][font=Times New Roman","serif] [/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]What you have described does indeed sound like social engineering - basically the name given to a category of security attacks in which someone manipulates another person into revealing information that can be used to either steal data or their identity, access systems or funds.  The goal is to trick a person into providing valuable information that can be used by the fraudsters for financial gain. [/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]You can report any such calls to our Malicious call bureau 1800689689 although finding the origin of the call would not be possible.[/font]

Thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Plastic_Life

Bit late coming back here, just dropping a line to say thanks for your help, ill live and learn.

Bit late coming back here, just dropping a line to say thanks for your help, ill live and learn.
    No problem Plastic_Life

Thanks for posting

AL

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I understood that Eircom are obliged to keep records of calls made to and received by all numbers for a period of time, and that is a legal requirement.

Is this not true?

If it is true then Eircom does have the information requested.

I understood that Eircom are obliged to keep records of calls made to and received by all numbers for a period of time, and that is a legal requirement.

Is this not true?

Hi Johnboy1951

[font=Times New Roman","serif]For calls made yes but Not for calls received. The Communications (Retention of Data Act) demands that eircom retain call records for at least 24 months and for no longer than 25 months. This does not include received calls. Internet traffic data must be retained for at least 12 months and for no longer than 13 months.[/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]Al[/font]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Is this not true?

Hi Johnboy1951

For calls made yes but Not for calls received. The Communications (Retention of Data Act) demands that eircom retain call records for at least 24 months and for no longer than 25 months. This does not include received calls. Internet traffic data must be retained for at least 12 months and for no longer than 13 months.

Al
    Thanks for the clarification Alan  ;)

Is this not true?

Hi Johnboy1951

For calls made yes but Not for calls received. The Communications (Retention of Data Act) demands that eircom retain call records for at least 24 months and for no longer than 25 months. This does not include received calls. Internet traffic data must be retained for at least 12 months and for no longer than 13 months.

Al
    Thanks for the clarification Alan  ;)
    No worries Johnboy1951 :)

Al

Advertisement