Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who's the old guy with the buttons in his hat at gigs?

Options
  • 15-06-2015 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Does anybody know who I'm talking about?
    I used to spot him at every rock and metal gig around the city about 8-10 years ago. Once the rock/metal scene kind of died out he was a rare sight but I spotted him a few weeks ago while playing a gig in the the living room/kellys/loft/what ever the hell it will be called next. Saw him in the street today as well.
    He's probably in his late 60s and is always wearing a suit and tie and sun glasses. He always has a light brown fishing style hat with loads of button badges on it. I'd always spot him when playing or going to gigs in the roisin, sallys or the cellar.
    I remember being told loads of times that he was in NUIG and he was doing a thesis about the music scene in Galway.

Anybody have a clue who I'm on about?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I know exactly who you're talking about and me and my boyfriend call him "music man"! Apart from that I have no clue who he is or what he does!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Colinoh

I've always wondered about him. hopefully somebody knows

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Here you go

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=55247952

His name is Mark and he's both a gentleman and a scholar.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Mark Kennedy, an absolute legend.

Take some time to talk to him if you get the chance, his life to date has been pretty fascinating.

Nice one guys thanks.
    So is he a student? A lecturer? Or even that last post says he lived in a homeless shelter with Dennis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Kinda feels like a bit of an invasion of privacy to be discussing someone in such depth here, but he's a very approachable man, just ask him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

Have a look at this great documentary that Mark was involved in. He's a great guy, he used to bring us sweets into work nearly every night and would stay for ages having a chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,453 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Sound guy. Just go say hello.

I'll have to chat with him next time i see him out and about

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

He's presumably graduated again over the last few years, he was definitely starting in Arts at NUIG sometime over the last 10 years. His son was there in my years.
    I thought he was a previous graduate, certainly always seemed to be pretty erudite. Used to be around with Niall Rivers back when he was around. I knew them both in '90 too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Really nice guy. Always saw him around and went up to him one night in the Roisin Dubh. He's living his life to the fullest, that's for sure!

Check out this article:

http://www.independent.ie/style/sex-relationships/grey-power-the-story-of-one-mans-life-26487947.html

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Since the "Characters of Galway" thread many years ago we've had an uneasy relationship with threads asking about and discussing private individuals (either in a positive or negative light).
    When people are interviewed in a newspaper they approve of the interview. When they are discussed on an internet forum they have no say at all which is a concern, particularly when the comments may be less than flattering and the validity of a comment from an anonymous internet user can be questionable.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement