Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Walking Dead: Michonne - A Telltale Games Mini-Series

Options
  • 15-06-2015 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭

TWD_Michonne_E3_key_art_650px.jpg
    The Walking Dead: Michonne - A Telltale Games Mini-Series stars the iconic character from the comic book series haunted by her past and coping with unimaginable loss and regret. The story explores her untold journey during the time between issues #126 and #139. Through this Telltale Games mini-series of 3 episodes, players will discover what took Michonne away from Rick, Ezekiel, and the rest of her trusted group… and what brought her back.

You can expect to see the premiere this fall on PC/Mac, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PS3, Xbox 360, and compatible iOS and Android-based devices. You'll need at least the first episode of The Walking Dead: Season Two in order to play The Walking Dead: Michonne, but we'll have more info on that for you closer to the premiere date.

https://www.telltalegames.com/blog/discussion/96344/telltale-and-skybound-announce-the-walking-dead-michonne-a-telltale-games-mini-series

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I'm suffering a bit from Telltale fatigue, to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

J. Marston wrote: »
    I'm suffering a bit from Telltale fatigue, to be honest.

:pac:

I like them cause you can play them with the OH if they are not a 'gamer' per-say

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

It should probably utilise the cutting technology from Metal Gear Rising.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Yawn.

What is the point in telling the story of a character which is boxed in? They cant do anything interesting with the character. A new character can be sent in any number of directions.

This is a shameless cash grab and Im disappointed tbh.

Theres been a lot of good will for tell tale since the 1st Walking Dead series but it's wearing thin with me now. They at least need to change how the games play at this stage or look at how dontnod did Life Is Strange where there is more than an illusion of choice.

I mean people rag on EA and Ubisoft for churning out the same game every year but are tell tale any different at this stage :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Meh.......I'll pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Wolf amongst Us was a great game but i vowed to never buy a tell tale game again until all the chapters are released. They need to work on more original type material, i will see how the reviews of this fare out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

I think they need a new engine badly.

And as stated above, they need to have real choices instead of just an illusion of choice. Sometimes it doesn't matter what you pick, the same thing happens.

I'm playing Game of Thrones at the moment, and the colour palette really makes the game look stale and dated, where as Tales from Borderlands looks pretty good. But both games feel like they are linear, there is no real choice or different paths through the games.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Mr Freeze wrote: »

And as stated above, they need to have real choices instead of just an illusion of choice. Sometimes it doesn't matter what you pick, the same thing happens.

I'm playing Game of Thrones at the moment, and the colour palette really makes the game look stale and dated, where as Tales from Borderlands looks pretty good. But both games feel like they are linear, there is no real choice or different paths through the games.

You're on Xbox 1 as well yeah?

I bought the telltale collection when it was on sale at christmas, I've only played through the wolf among us, but I was surprised that the stuttering and jerkiness that was on 360 was still there on the next gen console. Is this the case in the likes of Borderlands and Game Of Thrones as well? I havent played them as I want to wait for the full thing to be available.

You're on Xbox 1 as well yeah?

The jerkiness and stuttering is there between scenes in the newer games too.

Its annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

So this is out today, anyone picked it up?

Think this will be one I'll wait for all episodes to come out first.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,743 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Mr Freeze wrote: »

I really don't get this constant criticism of the Telltale games. Yes, they're linear and force you down a particular path, because there's a specific story that the writers want you to experience. It's your actions throughout the story that's important, not just the story itself.

Yes, there is an illusion of choice, but that's generally how things work in the real world too. Just because you choose to do something doesn't mean you actually can or that a choice someone else makes won't change the situation or that the NPCs will go along with your choice.

The first season of The Walking Dead had one of the best video game endings ever. That ending never would have happened if players were given more choice. The game has to direct you through the story and locations it has created. It's the choices you make and how you treat different characters that gives players their own unique experiences. For example some deaths in The Walking Dead can be very sad for some people, others might be glad to see that character die. It's because the choices you've made throughout the game affects how you feel about the character.

Games of Thrones was definitely far more linear than the other games, but for the most part I think Telltale do a pretty good job of giving as much choice as possible while still ensuring they can tell the story they want to tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Agree with Penn. Still not really pushed on getting this though. I know Michonne's story from the comics and I'm sure they are gonna do stuff we don't know about but I find myself not really caring. I just want season 3 to see how they handle the amount of different ways it ended for people. Only way I'd jump on this is if they managed to squeeze Clem in somewhere but highly doubt it.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Agree with Penn. Still not really pushed on getting this though. I know Michonne's story from the comics and I'm sure they are gonna do stuff we don't know about but I find myself not really caring. I just want season 3 to see how they handle the amount of different ways it ended for people. Only way I'd jump on this is if they managed to squeeze Clem in somewhere but highly doubt it.

It's supposed to fill a gap in the comics around 126-131 I recall reading somewhere.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Telltale have lost a lot of their lustre recently and i think a lot can be attributed to the talent behind the first season of walking dead leaving to create Firewatch. Telltale kind of need better writers.

Penn wrote: »
    I really don't get this constant criticism of the Telltale games. Yes, they're linear and force you down a particular path, because there's a specific story that the writers want you to experience. It's your actions throughout the story that's important, not just the story itself.

Yes, there is an illusion of choice....

I think its more to do with the Game of Thrones game, it really didn't feel like you had much choice or your choices didn't matter, and there were issues with the saves and the correct decisions were not carried from episode to episode and it made no difference really.

At one point in GoT, I made a decision that resulted in loads of characters getting killed, but it played on for like a minute and I thought man I messed up there, but that was class, only to be greeted with a game over screen and had to make a different choice, even though the one that got most people killed looked like a valid choice.

My criticism of their games now is probably more to do with a bit of TellTale fatigue. I hope they have a new engine for the Batman game, because the stuttering wrecks my head now, especially since the Borderlands game final episode (which was great) stuttered almost between each scene and really ruined my enjoyment of it.

I still love TWD S1 and The Wolf Among Us, both amazing and both I played through twice.

I won't be picking up the Michonne game unless its heavily discounted.

I'm with Mr Freeze on this.

1) Telltale Burn Out
    2) Engine Needs Overhaul
    3) Illusion of Choice is fine, but the it's fairly obvious now (esp in GoT) that your decisions don't matter a damn, even in immediate.

One specific one in GoT springs to mind, and I'm paraphrasing but it was like
    Meet Ramsay Snow at the Gate or in the Hall?
    Clicks "Meet him at the Gate'
    Basically just walks him from the Gate to the Main Hall

F**king dumb

GoT single handedly ruined any good will they had built up from TFTB and TWAU.

And tbh, I find TWD to be one of the weaker entries in the series, there, I said it

Cormac... wrote: »
    2) Engine Needs Overhaul

They've been using the same engine since 2005, long before they did TWD.
    The Walking Dead (2012)
    The Walking Dead: 400 Days (2012)
    Poker Night 2 (2013)
    The Wolf Among Us (2013)
    The Walking Dead: Season Two (2013)
    Tales from the Borderlands (2014)
    Game of Thrones (2014)
    Minecraft: Story Mode (2015)
    The Walking Dead: Michonne (2016)
    The Walking Dead: Season Three (2016)
    Game of Thrones: Season Two (TBD)

Looks like GoT and TWD will use it for their next seasons, which means I'll wait for a sale and maybe skip GoT entirely.

No mention of Batman or the Marvel game on that list from Telltale Tool engine Wiki, which might hint at a new engine, but more than likely is just an incomplete list.

I really didn't enjoy GoT at all - seemed buggier than the rest, the weird watercolour style, and the story just bored me to tears.

Completely forgot about the Batman announcement!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,743 ✭✭✭✭Penn

No I absolutely agree that GoT was definitely the worst offender of the illusion of choice. It really felt that no matter what you did, you were f*cked. In fairness, it fits pretty well with the style of show GoT is, but it made for a poor playing experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I do like these games but the style and gameplay has gone a bit stale for me, just because to me it feels like they haven't made much progression in anything since TWD which makes all these games feel too similar. Was never big on the art style either, though it felt right with The Wolf Among Us.

I don't mind the illusion of choice as long as the gameplay and writing is up to scratch, if not then their games fall apart and look amateurish.

They also need to get themselves on a tighter release plan or change it completely because there's only so much goodwill TT can keep by randomly releasing episodes.

Playing their game as a whole for me is definitely better compared to waiting months on end for an episode then trying to remember the story / the choices you made.........not that it really matters, I guess :pac:

Gonna wait this one out until it's complete before playing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I have struggled to get into the GoT one. I've not even managed to get through Episode 1. I have Borderlands waiting there, and my son is playing through the Minecraft one. I've no interest in getting this as full price, I'll wait until it's sub 5, which going by reviews, won't take too long.

chrislad wrote: »
    I have struggled to get into the GoT one. I've not even managed to get through Episode 1. I have Borderlands waiting there, and my son is playing through the Minecraft one. I've no interest in getting this as full price, I'll wait until it's sub 5, which going by reviews, won't take too long.

Borderlands stood out as showing the formula can still work when the writing is there to back it up. It was great even if you knew little of the series. Which again came down to writing.

It was marred by the worst stuttering in any of the games to date during its big finale :mad:

Can anyone who has played these on a PC weigh in on that ? Is it as bad or even there at all? No reason why it should be there on current gen consoles given the updated hardware, unless they are direct porting the problem from last gen versions of the games perhaps or that it is a deeper issue in the engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭steve_r

Borderlands stood out as showing the formula can still work when the writing is there to back it up. It was great even if you knew little of the series. Which again came down to writing.

It was marred by the worst stuttering in any of the games to date during its big finale :mad:

Can anyone who has played these on a PC weigh in on that ? Is it as bad or even there at all? No reason why it should be there on current gen consoles given the updated hardware, unless they are direct porting the problem from last gen versions of the games perhaps or that it is a deeper issue in the engine.

Played Telltale games on PC and Android and never had any stuttering issues. ****e 2011 laptop too.

Like the others I think Telltale fatigue has set in. You don't really "beat the game" you finish watching a story. When you realize that, making a pointless dialogue choice seems more an irritant than anything else.

I remember seeing a Youtube video that said Telltale had gotten rid of "moonshot" puzzles from point n click games. While some of that stuff was delibratly obtuse (combine the jelly with the key and throw the two over the door where it bounces into the lock) some decent puzzles would be good.

I think there has to be some sort of balance between the rock hard puzzles and the lack of puzzles at all. Telltale can tell fantastic stories (they'd want to, with a name like that) but I'd love to see them do a game that's a real challenge.

steve_r wrote: »
    I remember seeing a Youtube video that said Telltale had gotten rid of "moonshot" puzzles from point n click games. While some of that stuff was delibratly obtuse (combine the jelly with the key and throw the two over the door where it bounces into the lock).

I believe that was just flagrant ripping off of the old LucasArts games (Monkey Island etc)

It seems kind of pointless to do this, really. Every other TT game in different franchises was about creating new stories within these universes. But this.. this is retreading something that has already been done before, in both comic and television format. The only TT game I've any interested in is their Walking Dead one, because I thought the second season was incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

I've enjoyed TWD and TWAU and have some of the others yet to play. The likes of Until Dawn have raised the bar on what to expect from such a game now and hopefully TT will raise their game to compete.

It seems kind of pointless to do this, really. Every other TT game in different franchises was about creating new stories within these universes. But this.. this is retreading something that has already been done before, in both comic and television format.

I'm about 10 issues behind in the comic, but isn't this game filling a gap in her story we don't know about otherwise?

Shall be waiting for a sale now anyway.

maximoose wrote: »
    I'm about 10 issues behind in the comic, but isn't this game filling a gap in her story we don't know about otherwise?

Shall be waiting for a sale now anyway.

I've only watched the TV show, but I can't imagine anything that needed a game. I dunno.. I always just liked hearing other stories, unrelated to the main ones, inside these universes. I get it's probably closer to 400 days than an individual season?

• Advertisement

Yeah it's only a mini-series, 3 eps I think? So will be short enough, similar to 400 days.

It's about a point in time that would be of interest to comic readers, but the few reviews I've read of episode 1 say it holds up as a standalone for those unfamiliar.

I do agree it's maybe a bit unnecessary - If Telltale could manage to release all their projects in a reasonable time I'd be happy to let them do games for everything under the sun. The long waits for games and new eps is getting to be a real pain now though... I'd much rather have season 3 of TWD a little quicker than this side project.

Advertisement