Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lifespan of mobile smart phone

Options
  • 15-06-2015 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭

What is the average lifespan of a smart phone. I had a Nokia Lumnia mobile which was just under 3 years old and died on me i.e it froze (which it has done before) and the normal solution was to power it down and back on. This time it would not power back on after I powered it off and I brought it to 2 repair shops who said it was irrecoverable and I needed a new phone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

I'd expect my phone to last at least two years. Saying that I would expect to replace the battery in that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

2-3 years these days but most upgrade more frequently as for me i have a new phone every week due to my interests.

• Site Banned Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Youngblood.III

Don't all modern smartphones have 24 month warranty under EU laws?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Don't all modern smartphones have 24 month warranty under EU laws?

Yip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

jimmynokia wrote: »
    2-3 years these days but most upgrade more frequently as for me i have a new phone every week due to my interests.

Avid Breaking Bad fan

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

5 years and 4 months, and counting. That said, I do only have a Nokia 5230 which, of course, isn't a smart phone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

I usually get about 4 years out of a mobile phone. That said, I'm not terribly hard on them at all. I'm currently 2 years into my HTC One and it's like new.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If you get a top tier(flagship) phone at launch, 3 years, 2yrs for a mid tier. 18 months for an iPhone if you like to keep iOS up to date.

Phones are almost consumables at this point but they are by far the best value proposition. Most people carry theirs for 14hrs a day, every day for 2-3yrs. Thats a lot of use for 4-600€. Compared to say a tablet or games console the €/hr usage is significantly better. And when it usually replaces your need to own a camera too, its really not all that unreasonable to splash for a new one periodically.

Advertisement