Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nuisances of being a Landlord

Options
2»

Comments

johnp001 wrote: »

Interesting....
    "I bought my apartment in 2005 for €335,000. If I sold it tomorrow I'd be lucky to get €250,000 for it."

"My wife, before we met, bought hers for €299,000. Similar properties are selling now for around €170,000."

"
    Located in the property hotspots of Dublin, they are on course to become valuable assets which one day may even help fund a house purchase in Sligo.

A happy ending could finally be in sight."

They are quite likely over the worst of it imo, I'd hang in there until the mortgages are cleared if I could, especially if renting in Sligo for €650/month

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Augeo wrote: »
    Interesting....
    "I bought my apartment in 2005 for €335,000. If I sold it tomorrow I'd be lucky to get €250,000 for it."

"My wife, before we met, bought hers for €299,000. Similar properties are selling now for around €170,000."

"
    Located in the property hotspots of Dublin, they are on course to become valuable assets which one day may even help fund a house purchase in Sligo.

A happy ending could finally be in sight."

They are quite likely over the worst of it imo, I'd hang in there until the mortgages are cleared if I could, especially if renting in Sligo for €650/month

Good advice. There is a bit of a pschological thing with prices following introduction of the property tax bands. Apartments that are approaching say 300 thousand in price seem to stay below the 3 mark for some time but then once one sale breaks the 3 mark its open season. I would certainly bide my time as prices in Dublin are rising albeit slower than expected

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

athtrasna wrote: »
    If more than 20% is due. Rental income is now also subject to USC and rental income is also subject to income tax thresholds. Depending on the landlords ' other income they may owe more.

I was talking about if the landlord is not resident in Ireland, are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

cerastes wrote: »
    I was talking about if the landlord is not resident in Ireland, are you?

Higher-rate income tax bands and USC still apply to non-resident landlords. PRSI doesn't.

In any case a landlord would be crackers to allow a tenant to deduct 20% of the gross and rely on them handing over the withheld 20% (in my opinion of course). If they just foxtrot oscar with the money the landlord still gets chased.

Advertisement