Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Embassy Interview Questions

Options
  • 15-06-2015 6:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I have a meeting with the US embassy on Wednesday morning and I have yet to receive statements which I have requested from the bank and post office over a week ago to show I have enough money to support myself while I am over there. Would it be okay to use a printout of the online statement for the interview or will I need to reschedule if they don't arrive tomorrow? Could I receive a statement direct from my local post office or bank tomorrow that would be accepted instead? Would some kind of evidence that my family would be able to pay to get me back to Ireland be valid?
    Asides from bank statements and evidence of graduation (exam results and so on), what is it a good idea for me to bring along to the interview?
    Does anyone know whether they will need to take my passport for a while in the event that I pass the interview? How long would I be expected to be without it?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

You should be OK with printed statements from your online account. For my visa appointment I had my parents sign a printed later stating that they will financially provide for me if needed while in the US. There's no harm in having both.

Your visa company should have provided you with a list of items to bring. Not sure what's required as its been a few years since I had a visa interview, but the list probably contained things like the DS-2019, an SAE (not sure if they still do it this way), visa photos, the cheque made out to the exact amount, etc.

They will take your passport from you in order to process the visa. This usually takes anywhere from 3 to 10 business days, maybe more depending on how busy they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I had statements printed from my online banking for my visa interview and I also went into the bank and they typed a letter stating how much was in my current account. That only took a few minutes so you could do that if you have time.

I got my visa in May 2014 and I can't remember exactly how long I was without my passport but I'm pretty sure it was only a few days. It was definitely quick.

I think I brought some documents to show that I had ties to Ireland, though I didn't have anything great because I didn't own a house etc. I read that showing you have a reason to return is good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭biddywiddy

OP - can you report back on how long it takes to get your passport back?

I will have an embassy interview in September and it's hard to know how to plan flights (I need to fly back to Ireland from the US for the interview). I realise it can change depending how busy they are, but it would be great to have a guide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

biddywiddy wrote: »
    OP - can you report back on how long it takes to get your passport back?

I will have an embassy interview in September and it's hard to know how to plan flights (I need to fly back to Ireland from the US for the interview). I realise it can change depending how busy they are, but it would be great to have a guide.

We got ours back the same day if you'd believe it. But the average is 3-5 days. Our lawyers told us it could be upto 2 weeks.

The rule of thumb is not to book flights back until you have the visa in your passport

Same day? How did that happen?!

I know what you mean about not booking flights back until you have the visa, but I'm booking US-Irl return, and two one-way flights will be so expensive. I'll probably allow about a week and then just pay a fee to move the return flight if needed.

• Advertisement

Same day? How did that happen?!

I know what you mean about not booking flights back until you have the visa, but I'm booking US-Irl return, and two one-way flights will be so expensive. I'll probably allow about a week and then just pay a fee to move the return flight if needed.

It was through the Madrid embassy. We had our interview, went for lunch. My wife went home and I was walking back to my office when she called and said the passports had arrived back by a courier with the visas in them. Couldn't believe it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

Just as an update to this, here's what's happened since:
    • They sent me a message telling me my appointment had be cancelled on their system
    • I called, was told it wasn't cancelled and to turn up
    • On the morning of the interview it was cancelled and they told me I had to send in my documents before I could reschedule
    • After receiving my documents I find there's no available appointments before the date I was meant to be out there by

Moral of story: get this stuff out of the way welllllllllllll in advance, cos they're a f*cking mess

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

Just as an update to this, here's what's happened since:
    • They sent me a message telling me my appointment had be cancelled on their system
    • I called, was told it wasn't cancelled and to turn up
    • On the morning of the interview it was cancelled and they told me I had to send in my documents before I could reschedule
    • After receiving my documents I find there's no available appointments before the date I was meant to be out there by

Moral of story: get this stuff out of the way welllllllllllll in advance, cos they're a f*cking mess

They're horrendously incompetent in there.

They're horrendously incompetent in there.

I found the ones I dealt with (in the Spanish embassy) really great.

I did hear through that our company have stopped processing visas during the "busy" times around H1B's and J1's as there is often these types of issues

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

There is also a massive issue at the moment:

http://www.npr.org/2015/06/23/416901874/state-department-computer-glitch-creates-a-visa-nightmare

This is undoubtedly not helping things.

• Advertisement

Ah yeah, it all seems to stem from that. The backlogs are going to be absolutely crazy once it all settles I'd say. They completely bungled it after I called in last Wednesday to see what was up, which was understandably a pretty crazy day for the embassy.

Despite not having any of the listed valid reasons for one, I requested an expedited appointment as they admitted one factor in the delay was a clerical error on their end. They gave me the exact date and time I picked out of my arse on the spot, were really quite reasonable and apologetic about it all.

I found the ones I dealt with (in the Spanish embassy) really great.

I did hear through that our company have stopped processing visas during the "busy" times around H1B's and J1's as there is often these types of issues

I'm just going on my own experience in the Dublin Embassy.

Full of jobsworths who have no interest in helping anyone, always annoyed if you had a question, seemed to have a chip on their shoulder (one guy in particular) because my case had been expedited.

At least that was my experience with the Irish members of staff in there. I found the Americans in there a pleasure to deal with, helpful and happy to answer questions.

Maybe it's a cultural thing...

I'm just going on my own experience in the Dublin Embassy.

Full of jobsworths who have no interest in helping anyone, always annoyed if you had a question, seemed to have a chip on their shoulder (one guy in particular) because my case had been expedited.

At least that was my experience with the Irish members of staff in there. I found the Americans in there a pleasure to deal with, helpful and happy to answer questions.

Maybe it's a cultural thing...

That is strange. The only spaniards I dealt with were the security guards and the person that checked that all the papers were in order, they were relaxed but really efficient. We were in and out of the embassy in about 2.5 hours - everyone else were pretty chilled.

That is strange. The only spaniards I dealt with were the security guards and the person that checked that all the papers were in order, they were relaxed but really efficient. We were in and out of the embassy in about 2.5 hours - everyone else were pretty chilled.

The American I dealt with was the bloke who did the interview with me. Nice guy, ex college football player.

All the support staff in there I dealt with were Irish, everyone in the back office seemed to be Irish too. Plus there was one (Irish) guy in there who seemed to have it in for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

The American I dealt with was the bloke who did the interview with me. Nice guy, ex college football player.

All the support staff in there I dealt with were Irish, everyone in the back office seemed to be Irish too. Plus there was one (Irish) guy in there who seemed to have it in for me.

Probably jealous ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

How much do they expect to be in your account? What in the minimum?

cena wrote: »
    How much do they expect to be in your account? What in the minimum?

For what?

Moving to the US is expensive. i wouldn't move without 6 months cash on hand if you don't have a job. To put that in perspective, that would be around 15 k for San Francisco. When you're moving, it should never be a case of the minimum. It only takes one thing to go wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 39 gmogames

For anyone interested,

I went yesterday for my H1B interview. My wife went with me as she was getting he H4.

It was simple and painless. I presented my I-129 form and the copy of the approval notice (I-797C). The first question he asked was:

- Tell me about your trip to the US.
    I answered that I was going early October for work as I'm a project manager.

- What is a project manager?
    I explained what my company does and said I was in charge of getting the projects ready, talking with customers and managing the daily activities of the development team.

- How long do you work for this company?
    I stated that I started with an internship in 2013, was transfered to their branch in Ireland in the beginning of 2015 and now I was going back, so roughly 2 years already.

He then noticed I had a J1 visa before and I had to fulfill the 2 year residency (I had to stay out of the US for 2 years in order to get a new visa). I then said to him I had a waiver and handed it to him.

He spoke to the other guy and came back saying thanks.

Visa approved.

Less then 10 minutes and didn't have to present a single piece of money evidence or anything, just my application documents.

Hope it helps anyone that is going through the same.

Cheers

This is really helpful, thank you! I have my H-1B interview in Dublin next month.

Can you update when you get your passport back? I'm curious how long it will take (Embassy website says 5 working days).

Sure,

I renewed my B1/B2 visa in may as I was planning to go there on vacation and the passport was ready to be picked up in 2 days. I'm hoping this will be the same case.

I forgot to mention, I'm originally from Brazil working in Ireland (for the same company I'm going to the US).

• Advertisement

gmogames wrote: »
    I forgot to mention, I'm originally from Brazil working in Ireland (for the same company I'm going to the US).

Ah, OK. I was wondering about the residency waiver. I'm in the US on a J-1 visa at the moment, but I'm not subject to the 2 year rule.

Thanks! I've booked my flight back to the US after the interview - had to really as I'm flying back to Ireland just for the interview and two one-way tickets works out really expensive. I've over a week to get my passport back, but still nervous about it!

When I interviewed for the J-1 back in 2013, I had the interview Monday morning and the passport came in the mail on Wednesday.

I just received notice that my passport was given to DPD and I can track it already. It seems I will be able to pick it up tomorrow or saturday morning.

So, interview on Monday, passport sent to DPD on Thurs, total 3 days.

Pretty efficient the US embassy here in Dublin.

Great! Thanks for the update.

Another question: did you upload a digital photo when you completed the DS-160? I did, and the photo was accepted, but, on the checklist of things to bring to the interview, it still says to bring a photo.

Oops, never got back here.

So my interview scheduling wound up being a total mess. The actual interview was incredibly brief and easy but I was stuck waiting outside the embassy for a good 45 minutes to an hour, this may have been because it was just after lunch. Wasn't let in until half an hour after my designated time but the actual time seems to makes no difference inside (provided it's the right day and close enough to the time, of course) so it was grand.

My passport was available for collection within 48 hours of the interview, the hours for the collection point were absolutely terrible though (Mon-Fri: 0900-1800; Sat: 0900-1030).

can beat you all with this.

Interview at 9:30 am, approved on the spot, out the door at 11:30...passports/visa's in our hands at 3pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,165 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

on the checklist of things to bring to the interview, it still says to bring a photo.
    Yes it sure does, bring the photos and they most likely wont want them :):)

Great! Thanks for the update.

Another question: did you upload a digital photo when you completed the DS-160? I did, and the photo was accepted, but, on the checklist of things to bring to the interview, it still says to bring a photo.

Good question. I uploaded the digital photo on the DS-160 and that would be enough.

But in my case the lady was a pain and asked when the picture was taken, I said 8 months ago, she said it needed to be a max of 6 months ago and made me go out to take a new picture.
    I was allowed back into the consulate and skip the line to get it processed, but the interview line was double the size then and I had to wait for almost an hour to be interviewed.

So, if you upload a recent photo, no need to take one with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭boreder

For what?

Moving to the US is expensive. i wouldn't move without 6 months cash on hand if you don't have a job. To put that in perspective, that would be around 15 k for San Francisco. When you're moving, it should never be a case of the minimum. It only takes one thing to go wrong

$15k wouldn't go too far here either. By the time you put deposit on a place, first months rent, and deposit on the essentials (water, rubbish, internet, etc), it'd be half gone.

An expensive part of the world to live (for a reason).

boreder wrote: »
    $15k wouldn't go too far here either. By the time you put deposit on a place, first months rent, and deposit on the essentials (water, rubbish, internet, etc), it'd be half gone.

An expensive part of the world to live (for a reason).

oh you're right - i was talking more of if you were going to rent a room somewhere instead of a whole apartment - can usually get one for 1K-1.5K in an OK part of town

When we moved for my job we had 35K , and 15K of that was gone by the time we had the rent, utilities, some furniture (That we hadn't shipped) and the downpayment on the car

• Advertisement

I got absurdly, absurdly, aabbbbbbbsurdly lucky on my hunt for a short term lease room upon arriving here but yeah, it really does look like it'd be $1k at a minimum for a room in an okay area, when you factor in how competitive the market is and how you may want to limit it to living relatively near your workplace or somewhere centralish, it's probably gonna lean closer to 1.5k.

That's saying nothing of just how many places will turn you down out of hand if you haven't a job, I would say look at the rates for a month of AirBNB because you'll likely be paying around that for those areas or sharing a dorm in a hostel.

Advertisement