Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Uk reg car impounded in Ireland. WHAT CAN I DO!?

Options
  • 15-06-2015 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi all. Just looking for any info or advise.
    While i was away in OZ my uk reg car got impounded just over the border in CO Cavan. Because my half wit of a brother decided he'd take it for a spin with no road tax, M.O.T, Insurance or Licence....

Anyway, i found out 6 months later when i returned to Belfast.. So i ring the Garda and they tell me the car is gone(Destroyed) and that theirs nothing i can do now. I try to argue my point, that i had no idea my brother was driving it as i was away in OZ, to no joy they tell me again there is nothing i can do. Meanwhile a wee mechanic friend of mine is telling me that they cant dispose of a UK registered car!

Does anyone know exactly what the Garda are legaly able to do. Or what would be my best course of action in this terrible situation? Or have any info or advise that could help me in ANY way possible?

:-/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Are you certain the Gards have crushed the car? I'd find that out first...Speak to the Superintendent if you can.

If they haven't then present all the proof you have, you're not resident in the South and never have been. Give them proof you were away and could not have driven the car. They might give you back the car if you pay any fines.

If they've crushed it?? AFAIK, I'm afraid they can if the VRT, NCT and insurance isn't paid. Same as the UK, incidentally.

If that were my brother, I might not be responsible for my actions if he did what you say he did. Tell him to stump up for the cost of a new motor...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Are you certain the Gards have crushed the car? I'd find that out first...Speak to the Superintendent if you can.

If they haven't then present all the proof you have, you're not resident in the South and never have been. Give them proof you were away and could not have driven the car. They might give you back the car if you pay any fines.

If they've crushed it?? AFAIK, I'm afraid they can if the VRT, NCT and insurance isn't paid. Same as the UK, incidentally.

If that were my brother, I might not be responsible for my actions if he did what you say he did. Tell him to stump up for the cost of a new motor...

I can't imagine the Gardai would keep an impounded car for six months tho?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

OP was already given that answer on this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057447027

I guess he's hoping for a different outcome here.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Stheno wrote: »
    I can't imagine the Gardai would keep an impounded car for six months tho?

Given the recent hot weather, I'd imagine several people are supping ice cold beverages from the recycled remains of it.

OP, your best bet is to take this up with your brother.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Sheepfield101

Yeah, thanks alot for the response. I know my car is gone, I think im just hoping for a miracle to happen at this stage :-(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Why don't you follow the advice that you have been given here?

Your car may be gone, but you may be able to claim some compensation if you follow the very easy instructions that were posted? This seems to be very helpful, sound advice, and could result in you getting some money. It's exactly what you asked for in your opening post.

-Shield.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Sheepfield101

Thank you. Will do!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

While i was away in OZ my uk reg car got impounded just over the border in CO Cavan. Because my half wit of a brother decided he'd take it for a spin with no road tax, M.O.T, Insurance or Licence....

Anyway, i found out 6 months later when i returned to Belfast..

Your brother didn't bother to email you or ring you or to do anything about your impounded car for six months, until you came back from Australia, to discover that the car was destroyed?

If my brother did that to me, I would think that calling him a 'half-wit' would be very mild under-reaction. I might even become annoyed in the circumstances.

I'd say that we must be missing some details here, OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

I thought in the UK that a car had to be continuously taxed even if off the road, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭arthur daly

I thought in the UK that a car had to be continuously taxed even if off the road, no?

No you can sorn a vehicle just like here,
    They do have new rules too,tax your car for the year and sell it a month later the tax doesn't transfer to new owner they have to immediately go tax it(seller can claim tax back..
    They don't have tax disks there anymore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Presume the OP did that in this case...........

https://www.gov.uk/sorn-statutory-off-road-notification

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Presume the OP did that in this case...........

https://www.gov.uk/sorn-statutory-off-road-notification

I'd presume he didn't....

Advertisement