Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

backs to the wall....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

K4t wrote: »
    But it's not harmless really though. The oldest argument in the book thrown about by the bigots has always been that the gays can't keep it in their pants
    I think that applies more to men in general. This kind of thing is a non issue, I'm sure gay men have thicker skin than this, they probably say much worse to each other, they're still lads at the end of the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I can assure you if it were some unheard of aussi political advisor making reference to the Irish and potatoes there'd be a complaint from the embassy and general outrage.

He should have known better and it is kind of a nice display of the casual homophobia in sports circles though.

You can expect quite a few people to be offended and they'll be perfectly entitled to be too.

A joke is a joke but seriously a bit of sensitivity and cop on is required too, especially if you're a public figure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭LadyFenghuang

He is invoking the terrible stereotype of 'being a knucklehead'.

I am thinking all kinds of ungenerous things about him that debase his intelligence in a really snotty way. I think to think about that and what it means about me. I think I have straight dude phobia. It's unfair he might be a really intelligent sensitive person who am I to prejudge?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Political correctness is a load of horse sh*t!!! It's ruining our society! It's ruining all western civilization!

Ireland used to be disparagingly referred to as "priest-ridden".

Some think they have gone away. But, in actual fact, they have simply been replaced by a new set of moralisers - the Holy Joes of the liberal left with their 'politically correct' language expectations.

A plague on both their houses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭LadyFenghuang

I just googled him he looks like a mouth breather. If you LOOK like a knuckle head you can't ACT like a knuckle head!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

RayM wrote: »
    It's the kind of 'joke' that you might find hilarious if you're around 10 years old. Or a privately educated rugby player.

Always good to see somebody giving out about bigotry with their own bigot comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

topper75 wrote: »

Despite the vow of celibacy plenty were priest ridden in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I just googled him he looks like a mouth breather. If you LOOK like a knuckle head you can't ACT like a knuckle head!

He's actually a well spoken educated young man. Try and have a sense of humour, it's a joke not actual sentiment. He wouldn't have been going to a Gay Pride concert in the first place if he was a raging homophobe.

Ah ... the gift of being able to tell what someone is like by the way they look in a google search image. A seer of seers, truly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I am thinking all kinds of ungenerous things about him that debase his intelligence in a really snotty way. I think to think about that and what it means about me. I think I have straight dude phobia. It's unfair he might be a really intelligent sensitive person who am I to prejudge?
    I guess you could say that if you're infallible yourself. You've never said the wrong thing or told a tasteless joke.

I guess in this day and age foot in mouth disease has taken a sharp decline and everyone's perfect all the time.

Empathy goes both ways. A roll eyes is enough of a concern to give this issue.

topper75 wrote: »

Some think they have gone away. But, in actual fact, they have simply been replaced by a new set of moralisers - the Holy Joes of the liberal left with their 'politically correct' language expectations.

A plague on both their houses.

Political correctness would be getting offended by being called Mrs instead of Ms or referring to someone as Fat instead of horizontally challenged etc etc

What he said isn't politically incorrect, it's just homophobic in the sense that it's a stereotype that directly promotes a fear of gay men.

That's why it's going to offend a lot of people.

Now they'll all be complaining about Twitter being nasty. Shout something like that into a space, you'll get shouts back - deal with it or don't tweet stuff like that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

He's actually a well spoken educated young man. Try and have a sense of humour, it's a joke not actual sentiment. He wouldn't have been going to a Gay Pride concert in the first place if he was a raging homophobe.

And he was probably there with a gay friend

gramar wrote: »
    Despite the vow of celibacy plenty were priest ridden in Ireland.

Aye, so why are we now tolerating a second tyranny of hypocrisy - being instructed on how not to judge by those who so readily do themselves?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

And he was probably there with a gay friend

He complained about the price of drink there too. Said he was getting ridden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Nobody is accusing him of being a raging homophobe, but rather of being a bit stupid - of which there are many educated people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

By well educated do you mean he went to Belvedere? I have friends who went to school with him. Apparently he's a dead sound lad and doesn't live up to the rugger bugger stereotype at all, but in terms of intellectual ability he isn't exactly in the deep end of the gene pool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Pretty sick of the SJW generation trying to outrage each other or find outrage. Same kind of thing happened when man achieved a milestone in human history landing a man made object on a comet, But no look at that man's shirt. People need to look in the mirror and take stock of their lives. Sick of people thinking a small comment entitles them to spit bile in the name of political correctness.

Change man To human if it bothers you.

Pretty sick of the SJW generation trying to outrage each other or find outrage. Same kind of thing happened when man achieved a milestone in human history landing a man made object on a comet, But no look at that man's shirt. People need to look in the mirror and take stock of their lives. Sick of people thinking a small comet entitles them to spit bile in the name of political correctness.
    And I think I speak for everyone when I say people applying the term SJW to every single story and event is growing extremely tiresome, and makes the term entirely redundant. Calling someone out on their stupidity is not necessarily SJW behaviour - when you express your opinion on social media or in real life, you cannot expect it to be immune from being criticized, challenged and often times ridiculed. Sometimes those who offered the opinion will be wrong and the person calling them out will be right - and vice versa - and sometimes both will be wrong and both will be right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

And I think I speak for everyone when I say people applying the term SJW to every single story and event is growing extremely tiresome, and makes the term entirely redundant. Calling someone out on their stupidity is not necessarily, or always, SJW behaviour - when you express your opinion on social media or in real life, you cannot expect it to be immune from being criticized, challenged and often times ridiculed. Sometimes those who offered the opinion will be wrong and the person calling them out will be right - and vice versa - and sometimes both will be wrong and both will be right.

:pac::pac::pac::pac:

Same kind of thing happened when man achieved a milestone in human history landing a man made object on a comet, But no look at that man's shirt.

The shirt was ridiculous though.

I mean, most people have the ability to show some sense of decorum during important events. I thought the overriding reaction when this fellow came lumbering along in that tacky shirt was laughter rather than outrage.

• Advertisement

Nobody is accusing him of being a raging homophobe, but rather of being a bit stupid - of which there are many educated people.

It's grossly miscalculated at best.

Remember the IT Crowd episode where Jen decided to be "funny" on Twitter, it gets taken out of context and suddenly goes viral to the point she's on the news :)

You don't get much context in 140 characters and your tone of voice or "sense of humour" doesn't come across.

Its also why people hire savvy PR consultants for social media :)

Remember that time Susan Boyle used #susan album party (add it together yourself) to launch an her new CD?!?

Twitter can be "dangerous"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

AdamD wrote: »
    Always good to see somebody giving out about bigotry with their own bigot comment.

I don't understand why you think my comment was bigoted. Is he, or is he not, a privately educated rugby player? Is it unreasonable to expect that someone who benefited from an expensive education might have a more sophisticated sense of humour than "backs to the wall, lads"?

As far as jokes go, it isn't funny. As far as tweeting it goes, it's not clever.

He's probably much more guilty of being a dozy eejit than he is of being a bigot, we all say stupid things we don't even mean sometimes. Most of us don't tweet them though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Rugby Player Makes Starfish Trooper Joke. European Parliament Suspended! :):):)

I don't understand why you think my comment was bigoted. Is he, or is he not, a privately educated rugby player? Is it unreasonable to expect that someone who benefited from an expensive education might have a more sophisticated sense of humour than "backs to the wall, lads"?

Have you ever met any privately-educated rugby-players?? :)

What's private education got to do with anything?!!?!

It doesn't automatically make one sophisticated! It just means that your parents had enough money or you were in on a rugby scholarship (yes such things exist).

I went to private schools here and I wouldn't say sophisticated is a word I'd use to describe them. They're just mostly a bit stuffy and full of their own self importance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Public_Enema

Guy is going to a Gay pride concert. He clearly mustn't be homophobic. He makes a throwaway comment as most of us often do. Most of us, apart from the PC brigade of course, who never put a foot wrong. It's knicker twisting nonsense like this which ruins social media

SpaceTime wrote: »
    What's private education got to do with anything?!!?!

It doesn't automatically make one sophisticated! It just means that your parents had enough money or you were in on a rugby scholarship (yes such things exist).

I went to private schools here and I wouldn't say sophisticated is a word I'd use to describe them. They're just mostly a bit stuffy and full of their own self importance.

Fr. Fehily didn't pick you as one of the Ubermenschen then? Ah ballix, me neither! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

I'm sure the comment was funny at the time. Unfortunately when you immortalize a comment like that on social media it can come back against you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Good to see the social justice gestapo cracking down on the important stuff

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Us gays always have a strong urge to rape ugly straight men apparently...

Stupid comment

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

Guy is going to a Gay pride concert. He clearly mustn't be homophobic. He makes a throwaway comment as most of us often do. Most of us, apart from the PC brigade of course, who never put a foot wrong. It's knicker twisting nonsense like this which ruins social media

It reminds me of the Justine Sacco case:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/dec/22/pr-exec-fired-racist-tweet-aids-africa-apology

Ordinary Joe Soap tweets something silly, people search it out to be deliberately offended and look to throw her under a bus.

Unless someone says something that constitutes hate speech, it should be left alone for what it is; a throwaway remark, said in jest.

efb wrote: »
    Us gays always have a strong urge to rape ugly straight men apparently...

Stupid comment

Ooh my, a Gennelman-Calluh!! :)

jimgoose wrote: »
    Fr. Fehily didn't pick you as one of the Ubermenschen then? Ah ballix, me neither! :)

Nah! They completely failed in their attempts to turn me into a rugger-banker type.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

Is ireland really gone this pc or does boards just get them?

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Nah! They completely failed in their attempts to turn me into a rugger-banker type.

Me three. I'm more your provincial hurling full-back type. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

I don't imagine that Cian Healy is homophobic. His support during the marriage equality campaign, his attendance at a pride function etc would certainly indicate that he isn't. That said the alledged 'joke' is predicated upon a stereotype of gay men as insatiable, promiscuous rapists. It might have been funny amongst a group of spotty bullies sprouting their first pubic hair a couple of decades ago but lets dispense with the notion that a statement that in essence amounts to 'straight man hanging around gay men = straight man getting ass raped' is anything but pathetic drivel. Its funny in the same way 'irish = drunk' or 'jew = tight' are, that is to say not at all.

For the blowhards moaning vomiting up the same tripe about PC gone mad, and SJW honestly give at a rest. Healy isn't a comedian or a social commentator he is a rugby player. What kind of a world would it be if straight men didn't get to joke about gay men being rapists. Perish the thought.

...a group of spotty bullies sprouting their first pubic hair a couple of decades ago

Unbelievable. It's like, you... know me!!

Best to leave those comments to Eric Cartman who we are supposed to be laughing *at* not with!
    He wasn't ever meant to be a role model!! It seems to have backfired horribly though.

• Advertisement

Unless someone says something that constitutes hate speech, it should be left alone for what it is; a throwaway remark, said in jest.
    Good to see the social justice gestapo cracking down on the important stuff
    One post as ridiculous as the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭ThinkProgress

I don't imagine that Cian Healy is homophobic. His support during the marriage equality campaign, his attendance at a pride function etc would certainly indicate that he isn't. That said the alledged 'joke' is predicated upon a stereotype of gay men as insatiable, promiscuous rapists. It might have been funny amongst a group of spotty bullies sprouting their first pubic hair a couple of decades ago but lets dispense with the notion that a statement that in essence amounts to 'straight man hanging around gay men = straight man getting ass raped' is anything but pathetic drivel. Its funny in the same way 'irish = drunk' or 'jew = tight' are, that is to say not at all.

For the blowhards moaning vomiting up the same tripe about PC gone mad, and SJW honestly give at a rest. Healy isn't a comedian or a social commentator he is a rugby player. What kind of a world would it be if straight men didn't get to joke about gay men being rapists. Perish the thought.

Typical rhetoric.

Typical bullying tactics, trying to control everyone and dictate how others should act and behave.

Typical woe-is-me victim mentality.

I think people like yourself are the ones who need to "give it up"! You can't tell others what they should find humorous - that's their choice!

Typical rhetoric.

Typical bullying tactics, trying to control everyone and dictate how others should act and behave.

I think people like yourself are the ones who need to "give it up"! You can't tell others what they should find humorous - that's their choice!

Oh no, you're being bullied... controlled, dictated to...

Classic 'victim mentality' right there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

One post as ridiculous as the other.

Keep fighting the good fight

Typical rhetoric.

Do you not see the absolutely ENORMOUS irony in that statement? If not, then you're more close minded than poor unfortunate, bullied Cian Healy -Healy said what he wanted and whoever found it funny or liked it liked it and found it funny and thought nothing else of it. However, lots of people did see a problem with it, and have even gone so far as to explain exactly why they did. Yet you think those people have less of a right to react to something that those who found nothing wrong with the 'joke'. Sorry to burst your bubble, but we all have the right to express our opinions, both Cian Healy and anyone else who thinks damaging generalisations about gay people are funny, and those who don't. Opinions are not immune from being criticised, challenged and ridiculed - It's amazing that I have too repeat this line several times a week on boards - and to people who probably say they value free speech and free thought more than others - *sigh*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭ThinkProgress

Oh no, you're being bullied... controlled, dictated to...

Classic 'victim mentality' right there.

They use both tactics... being mock offended on behalf of the gay community (many of whom probably laughed at it and also understood the likely motive behind it)... and also going on the attack by trying to force their world views on people.

I'm not a victim. They can try, but nobody dictates what I think or what I find humorous.

Maybe some weaker minds will be swayed by their tactics. ;)

• Advertisement

They use both tactics... being mock offended on behalf of the gay community (many of whom probably laughed at it and also understood the likely motive behind it)... and also going on the attack by trying to force their world views on people.

I'm not a victim. They can try, but nobody dictates what I think or what I find humorous.

Maybe some weaker minds will be swayed by their tactics. ;)

You're so... brave in the face of being... um... disagreed with. Which is completely different to being bullied, controlled or dictated to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

.Change man To hu[man/S] if it bothers you.

Change man to person if it bothers you.
    ftfy

Change man to homosapiens if it bothers you.
    ftfy (2nd attempt)

Oh sh*t I just give up, you can't win.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

Are homosexuals so insecure in themselves that they can't take a joke? We've after changing the constitution for them and they're still throwing hissy fits over nothing. Pathetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

Homosexuals want to treated as equals but cry foul at first hint of a bit of slagging. Get over it, it's only a joke. Mr. Rugby Player is hardly out burning crosses on David Norris lawn and beating up lads coming out of the George.

Are homosexuals so insecure in themselves that they can't take a joke? We've after changing the constitution for them and they're still throwing hissy fits over nothing. Pathetic.

Yeah, the very least they could do to reward our act of kindness is stop silencing us when we make hilarious jokes about how they all want to anally rape us.

• Advertisement
Advertisement