Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

backs to the wall....

12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭semionova

It is ignorant banter. I would have imagined he would be embarrassed about it now.

It's well over though. And though stupid and asinine as it was it was merely ONE example of bullying that gay kids or people go through. It's a bigger issue than one man and one man can't be held accountable for the whole issue.

MR Rugby person whoever you are (sorry don't mean to be rude) you were stupid. End of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

I'd say it's a bit cringe at worst. But there are a few poster's here who evidently have little of importance in real life to worry about if they're conflating a casual joke with promoting a stereotype of anal rape and promiscuity amongst all Gay men. :confused:

If you don't find it funny (like myself)... fine. But the self satisfied, victim mentality of some people is desperate. The reactionary threads of these type of stories are worth it though. Watching fully grown adults lose their rationale over silly subjective humor. Hooray for ignorant banter !!
    If you actually bother to read through the thread, you will find that while a lot of posters initially cited the tweet as simply quite stupid and in poor taste due to the negative stereotyping of gay men...the self satisfied, victim mentality you describe was in fact a major constant in the posts by users complaining about political correctness, social justice warriors etc. and who were defending Cian Healy's right to tell a joke, while at the same time incensed that those saying it was in poor taste were exerting their right to criticize the joke. They were the the only ones in this thread attempting to silence discussion, and probably would prefer a world where things they hold to be sacred are not allowed to be discussed, god forbid, critiqued and ridiculed. And now they have the perfect tools to try and make this possible, while at the same time getting a dig in at the pesky liberals - simply wail brigade, sjws blah blah blah wah wah wah

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hans Bricks

K4t wrote: »
    If you actually bother to read through the thread, you will find that while a lot of posters initially cited the tweet as simply quite stupid and in poor taste due to the negative stereotyping of gay men...the self satisfied, victim mentality you describe was in fact a major constant in the posts by users complaining about political correctness, social justice warriors etc. and who were defending Cian Healy's right to tell a joke, while at the same time incensed that those saying it was in poor taste were exerting their right to criticize the joke. They were the the only ones in this thread attempting to silence discussion, and probably would prefer a world where things they hold to be sacred are not allowed to be discussed, god forbid, critiqued and ridiculed. And now they have the perfect tools to try and make this possible, while at the same time getting a dig in at the pesky liberals - simply wail brigade, sjws blah blah blah wah wah wah

I have read through the thread. While I wouldn't be a fan of SJW and PC brigade reactions, the parallels drawn between an old man in the pub joke and portraying gay men as promiscuous rapists with some sprinkles of sarcastic chastisement is a bit much

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Was I the only one that didn't -get- the joke first time around?

Time and place and all that. It's a bit dumb to tweet stuff to a large audience that you know is risque if someone doesn't know you and know you're not anti-whatever. Stuff you say to a close group of mates isn't necessarily something you tell the world.

Honestly, it's amazing that that even needs to be said, but there's times people are just idiots with social media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

I have read through the thread. While I wouldn't be a fan of SJW and PC brigade reactions, the parallels drawn between an old man in the pub joke and portraying gay men as promiscuous rapists with some sprinkles of sarcastic chastisement is a bit much

The premise of the joke is that straight men aren't safe around gay men.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

A premise so absurd it's comical

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

He should go to prison for this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

In school we used to say "Bums to the ground, father Murphy's around". But of course, that was a slur on the clergy, rather than gay people.

I think if we spent more time slurring the clergy, and less time on gay people, the world would be a slightly better place.

That's hilarious :) I burst out laughing :D

Honestly, I think 99% of us aren't that thick that we would construe such a joke with that kind of paranoia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Honestly, I think 99% of us aren't that thick that we would construe such a joke with that kind of paranoia.

But but but, People have a right to be offended for other people... How do we show how progressive we are without getting outraged at every opportunity ?

• Advertisement

So what then is the basis of the joke? If an alternative exists I am more than prepaired to hear it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Are people still outraged over this?

Are people still outraged over this?

Only the people pretending anyone was going to get fired/be arrested/be the victim of a witchhunt. Those people definitely still have their non cross dressing panties in a twist.

So what then is the basis of the joke? If an alternative exists I am more than prepaired to hear it.

This is starting to sound like a tribunal almost. As if a joke needs to be justified and accepted and meet all etiquette standards. Cian made a silly, nonchalant remark in a tweet. A joke doesn't have to have some cryptic, hidden meaning behind it. I dunno. Perhaps he was jokingly remarking about a straight man attending an event with men who might give him unwanted attention due to differences in sexuality. A load of bluster over nothing really.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

If he wasn't a rugby chase-ball-man there would be more uproar about this. But he does a sport good so no one in Ireland cares about him saying ****ty things.

Advertisement