Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for 6th year

• 15-06-2015 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hey lads, I'm finished 5th year this summer and going into 6th year , in most of my subjects I've been absent for 40% or so of the lessons over the course of the year , and I'm thinking of doing 5 HL and aiming for 430 points , how much study do you'd reckon I should be attempting in my last year, I'd pick up a lot of things easy enough , especially in 3/4 of my subjects. Advice would be much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Chocolalla

study as you go don't leave it till one day to the leaving cert and U'll be ilke me studying till 7 am with no sleep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

Consistent work throughout the year will always beat 7+ hours of cramming in the weeks coming up to the exams.

Pay attention in class and do your homework every night to your maximum potential, take no shortcuts. You'll be surprised how much you learn in class by just listening. It will come back to you in the exams.

Never leave a class without understanding the concepts you have learnt. I know it's hard to approach certain teacher but they want to help and they want you to succeed.

Start making notes now, start doing an extra 50 minutes of study a night up to Christmas (two subjects at 25 minutes each). Make your study directed. Know what you want to achieve in those 25 minutes and do it.

If you do subjects with projects/practicals/portfolios/orals start them from day one. They're such easy marks to get if you put in the work from the start and it's nice knowing you have x% going into the exam. I'm very bad at written German for example, so I put A LOT of work into my oral so I knew I had some marks going in.

The LC is a marathon not a sprint. You will be sick of it by May and you'll burn yourself out if you're stuck inside doing 4/5 hours of work at the start.

Make sure to stay both mentally and physically well. Enjoy yourself, don't feel guilty for going out on a Friday/Saturday night with friends but maybe cut down on alcohol if you drink.

If you didn't put great effort into fifth year, change it now. You have time to do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 TtotheS

Troxck wrote: »
    Consistent work throughout the year will always beat 7+ hours of cramming in the weeks coming up to the exams.

Pay attention in class and do your homework every night to your maximum potential, take no shortcuts. You'll be surprised how much you learn in class by just listening. It will come back to you in the exams.

Never leave a class without understanding the concepts you have learnt. I know it's hard to approach certain teacher but they want to help and they want you to succeed.

Start making notes now, start doing an extra 50 minutes of study a night up to Christmas (two subjects at 25 minutes each). Make your study directed. Know what you want to achieve in those 25 minutes and do it.

If you do subjects with projects/practicals/portfolios/orals start them from day one. They're such easy marks to get if you put in the work from the start and it's nice knowing you have x% going into the exam. I'm very bad at written German for example, so I put A LOT of work into my oral so I knew I had some marks going in.

The LC is a marathon not a sprint. You will be sick of it by May and you'll burn yourself out if you're stuck inside doing 4/5 hours of work at the start.

Make sure to stay both mentally and physically well. Enjoy yourself, don't feel guilty for going out on a Friday/Saturday night with friends but maybe cut down on alcohol if you drink.

If you didn't put great effort into fifth year, change it now. You have time to do it!

Pal that's encouraging stuff , I appreciate it a lot ! ðŸ‘ðŸ»☺️

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

TtotheS wrote: »
    Pal that's encouraging stuff , I appreciate it a lot ! ðŸ‘ðŸ»☺️

No bother. I wasn't really the best student in the Junior Cycle but I kicked myself into gear for 5th and 6th Year. This doesn't mean I'll end up getting high points but I will get higher than what people would have expected from me based off the JC.

Advertisement