Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dahlia maxi struggling

Options
  • 15-06-2015 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

i bought these about a 4-6 weeks ago.... they were looking great when i planted them, but are struggling now. Flowers don't last long, and are looking pale and not their strong colour of before.

they are south facing, but get afternoon shade from a tree. I gave them vegetable fertilizer when i planted them as i read they preffered low nitrogen, high potassium feed.

Any tips?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Looks like drought to me. It's not really been raining, and they won't have a deep root system established yet.
    Have you been watering them every day since being planted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Dahlia flowers usually don't last long but it keeps sprouting new ones, so dead-head the spent flowers and feed regularly. Dahlias are 'hungry'.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭tmq

Well i thought i'd been feeding them, but perhaps not enough.... it has been dry. I'll up the attention a bit and see if they recover.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

I don't think they look that bad to be honest. They need to be deadheaded regularly to keep new blossoms coming. Looking at the photo that's your bigger problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Your dahlias look glorious to me!

352139.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭tmq

dahlia update... they died right off, and then when I'd nearly given up on them they recovered. Might have been the wet and cooler weather...?

Anyway, looking good for now!

Advertisement