Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage restrictions on one bed apartments?

Options
  • 15-06-2015 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭

I am looking at getting a first time buyer mortgage for a one bed apartment in Dublin, but I am struggling to find a mortgage provider.

Many of them refuse to give mortgages for one bed apartments, whilst others require a LTV of 75%, which I cannot afford.

I have a deposit saved and would be able to follow the new central bank restrictions of 10% deposit and 3.5 times your salary, but banks seem have applied additional restrictions. Can someone explain why?

Is it possible to get a mortgage for a one bed apartment with less than 25% deposit?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

One bedroom apartments struggle to retain their value, hence the banks reluctance to lend on them. You may have more success using a broker than by dealing directly with individual banks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,361 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

maybe the banks do a bit of profiling? maybe they think that someone of a certain age isn't likely to stay in a 1 bed for too long and might be selling before it has gained any equity.

Advertisement