Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone been to Vigo? North West Spanish Coast

Options
  • 15-06-2015 11:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭

Heading to Vigo for a few nights next month as a solo traveller. Had never even heard of it up to a few weeks ago but it seems to tick the boxes I have for a break in the sun without being too touristy.

It seems to be kinda popular with people for a few rest days at the end of the Camino so was wondering if anyone here has been and if you have any tips.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

I haven't but my father was there a few years ago. Had a few drinks in a bar and lost his wallet with over 2k in it. It randomly arrived in the post a week or 2 later. Not a cent taking out of it even for the stamps and envelope. Sounds like nice people

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

If you do go get the ferry to islas cies. Islands off Vigo. The beach is amazing and has been voted in the top 3/4 beaches in the world. A special place. Vigo is an industrial city with the Citroen factory and shipping is a very big part of the economy. I have only walked through bits of it. That whole area has a lot to offer and gets few English tourists. A lot of Spanish come up in the summer to escape the heat.
    The wiki entry says the Guardian newspaper voted one of its beaches the best in the world a few years back. See tripadvisor too. Some people camp there. It is a nature reserve so strict rules apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

This is the article referred to above, saw it a few weeks ago looks great.

http://www.theguardian.com/travel/2015/may/11/10-best-european-islands-holidays-greece-italy-france-spain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Thanks. Had earmarked Cies as a day trip, ferry booked now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭H2G2

Its a nice small spot. Really good Tapas Bars but quite nightlife in general.
    I stayed at the Hotel Gran Hotel Nagari Boutique & Spa, which I can recommend highly as a lovely spot, in particular the in room jacuzzi ad roof top pool.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

H2G2 wrote: »
    Its a nice small spot. Really good Tapas Bars but quite nightlife in general.
    I stayed at the Hotel Gran Hotel Nagari Boutique & Spa, which I can recommend highly as a lovely spot, in particular the in room jacuzzi ad roof top pool.

Thanks, sounds like I've picked the perfect spot for a break. Totally by accident, iberia express flights were too cheap to pass!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Yeah us! I'm going to be in Vigo in about two weeks. I'm travelling across from BCN where I am now. Looking forward to seeing A Coruña and Vigo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Yeah, we went there, and went sailing in the inlets. Amazing islands and the seafood is great. Water is Irish temperature, and if that doesn't upset you, do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

I'm in Vigo at the moment. Nice place and the weather is just right. Beaches are nice too, lots of powder type sand. Bring your two cent coins. The set fare for the bus is €1.32. I kid you not. Drivers do have change but Jesus the 2 cent is a nuisance for both parties.

Advertisement