Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy VII Remaster/Remake

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,002 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Evade wrote: »
    Oh, I didn't read like that to me.

Thats always been the concern that its simply too large a project, realistically I would expect the full game to take 3+ years and that's on the low side i would say, taking that into account it makes complete sense to do it episodically.

The cost and return of the overall project has always been part of that concern so this way if episode 1 doesn't see the return required to continue they can make the business call to shut it down, without losing too much wasted time and resources

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Please swap to disc #2 for €23.99

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Just thinking though, they couldn't break it up by disk, Disk 3 has practically nothing in it compared to the first 2. Unless they drastically include content there, it would be completely unbalanced breaking it up by disk

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

RedXIV wrote: »
    Just thinking though, they couldn't break it up by disk, Disk 3 has practically nothing in it compared to the first 2. Unless they drastically include content there, it would be completely unbalanced breaking it up by disk

It was meant to be a 2 disc game, they couldn't fit the final cutscene on disc 2 so the last disc was a last minute addition :)

The entire FF7 game is on all three discs, just the cutscenes differ. Try changing the discs while playing it and you get all the wrong cutscenes playing instead of the right ones!

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It was meant to be a 1 disc game, they couldn't fit the final cutscene on disc 2 so the last disc was a last minute addition :)

The entire FF7 game is on all three discs, just the cutscenes differ. Try changing the discs while playing it and you get all the wrong cutscenes playing instead of the right ones!

Must try this later!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,366 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

This is how i feel after the "splittening"

8439740957_93c6c646d8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

All the episodic parts will be the size of a full game.
    Although Square wouldn’t go into too many details—and they wouldn’t say how many episodes FFVII REMAKE will be—they did send over this statement:

It means instead of concluding in one entry, multiple entries are being considered in development. Each entry will have its own unique story. As a gaming experience, each entry will have the volume of content equal to a full-sized game.

Kotaku

Also unsurprisingly S-E will be using the Unreal Engine 4 for FF7.
    Epic Games announced today that Square Enix is making the upcoming Final Fantasy VII Remake with Unreal Engine 4. This is a bit of surprise, as Square Enix often uses in-house engines for Final Fantasy, its premier franchise. The PlayStation 3’s Final Fantasy XIII used Crystal Tools, and the upcoming Final Fantasy XV employs Luminous Studios.

In-house engines like Crystal Tools and Luminous Studios are often expensive and difficult to make, while using licensed ones like Unreal Engine 4 can free developers of much of the grunt work that comes along with a homemade system. Unreal is the engine for in-development releases like Gears of War 4 and Street Fighter V. Other upcoming Square Enix games with Unreal Engine 4 include Dragon Quest XI and Kingdom Hearts III.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Thought it would be the Luminous engine but I forgot square saying they were going for third party solutions now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Weird to have it episodic. Would hate to clear the first section and then wait months for the next one, would ruin the immersion for me. Specially with the convoluted story that VII had.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

It wont be episodic in the way telltale do it. It will be like FF 13. Entire games just continuing the story. Or starcraft 2 wings of liberty followed by heart of the swarm and then finally legacy of the void. "Full" games continuing the story.

Yes its milking but just like blizzard and starcraft, they realised it makes more financial sense to split the game into 3 and charge full price for it. The audience is already there.

And to be honest, its understandable. FF7 is not a small game. And artists drawing 2d maps and sprites is not the same as rendering 3d environments....and so many of them.

• Advertisement

Kirby wrote: »
    And to be honest, its understandable. FF7 is not a small game. And artists drawing 2d maps and sprites is not the same as rendering 3d environments....and so many of them.

FF7 is actually kind of tiny compared to most RPGs and even 16 bit RPGs, there's about half the locations and most get reused. Still if they are fleshing out each location and making them 3D environments rather than 1 or 2 static screens then it makes sense and I've no problem with it. Would also like if they kept each each to a shorter play time. FF7 was meant to be a 15-20 hour RPG originally and set in just midgar. That idea was scrapped as being too risky so it was expanded into a full RPG which is by far the weakest part of the game. That idea live don though for Parasite Eve which is such a fun game since it doesn't drag on or pad out it's 15-20 hour run time. I'd definitely be up for something similar especially with a more action orientated combat system.

Started playing the PS4 version of the PC port and just finished the Shinra building. They could add so much more to that part of the game, climbing the floors is great fun. Am really looking forward to see how they handle Jenova's breakout and the eerie atmosphere after it

• Registered Users Posts: 32 jefferytibbs

I for one am very excited indeed!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭irish son

When people here post about different versions of the original FF7 ,ports or what not, what do they mean? I'm going to buy the PS4 download of the game in the next few days to play for the first time in over 10 years and just want to play the most enjoyable version of game.

This is handy;

http://ie.ign.com/wikis/final-fantasy-vii/Cheats_and_Secrets

I would use is the one to speed up the movement x3...must resist buying again

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    This is handy;

http://ie.ign.com/wikis/final-fantasy-vii/Cheats_and_Secrets

I would use is the one to speed up the movement x3...must resist buying again

Yeah, the speed up would be very handy, Is that just the normal download on PS4 for €10.99 or is there more than one version?

irish son wrote: »
    Yeah, the speed up would be very handy, Is that just the normal download on PS4 for €10.99 or is there more than one version?

OK so there are 2 available on the PSN store. One that is compatible with the PS3, PSP and PSVita. This is a direct copy of the PAL (50Hz European) version of the game you could have bought in shops in 1998.

There is another one that is ONLY compatible with the PS4 and it is identical to the recently remastered version that came out on PC recently. There was a version on PC years and years ago, but this new one has cleaner models, uses 60Hz in stead of 50Hz (resulting in gameplay about 16% faster which is noticeable) and has things like the speed boost, character boost and the trophies. None of the last three there are in the PS3/PSP/PSVita version.

I would wholeheartedly recommend the PS4 version if you have the option of choosing and not limited by hardware.

I only play the PS4 so I will go for the remastered version with the speed boost etc. Thanks for the help guys, time off over Christmas sorted now :D

Saw this doing the rounds on Facebook. Gamespot put together a video comparing pieces of the new trailer compared to their original counterparts:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

OK so there are 2 available on the PSN store. One that is compatible with the PS3, PSP and PSVita. This is a direct copy of the PAL (50Hz European) version of the game you could have bought in shops in 1998.

There is another one that is ONLY compatible with the PS4 and it is identical to the recently remastered version that came out on PC recently. There was a version on PC years and years ago, but this new one has cleaner models, uses 60Hz in stead of 50Hz (resulting in gameplay about 16% faster which is noticeable) and has things like the speed boost, character boost and the trophies. None of the last three there are in the PS3/PSP/PSVita version.

I would wholeheartedly recommend the PS4 version if you have the option of choosing and not limited by hardware.

It also comes with a lovely free theme as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I have this on PS1, PS3 and very tempted now to get it on PS4 (and then again when the remake comes out). The speed up button would be very handy as would the skip random battles but that you'd preobably find yourself underlevelled before long, probably handy on certain long travelling sections. The boost button is HORRIBLE. Instant health and limit breaks is a ridiculous addition.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I have this on PS1, PS3 and very tempted now to get it on PS4 (and then again when the remake comes out). The speed up button would be very handy as would the skip random battles but that you'd preobably find yourself underlevelled before long, probably handy on certain long travelling sections. The boost button is HORRIBLE. Instant health and limit breaks is a ridiculous addition.

Speed boost is brilliant. I only got about 3 hours of gaming in over the last 2 days but I'm already on the way to Kalm. That includes a restart on 5th reactor mission for the kids to watch from the start. Great for those exchanges where you know you aren't overly interested and it doesn't let you skip EVERYTHING so a lot of the Bigger FMV sequences automatically turn it off. It does make battles a bit more challenging too!

No encounters and instant health and limit breaks is stupid though, you end up underpowered and relying on a hack to make it through the game.

But the theme you get with it for PS4 is very nice :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Zero-Cool wrote: »

What's horrible about the boost button exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

The temptation to use it during a Weapon fight mainly.

They should have an Easy or Kids mode where you can use it but it shouldn't even be an option in Normal mode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Takes the challenge out of the game.

Also, since the more you use limits, the faster you gain better ones, I presume you'll have Meteorain before you leave Midgar?

eeguy wrote: »
    Takes the challenge out of the game.

Also, since the more you use limits, the faster you gain better ones, I presume you'll have Meteorain before you leave Midgar?

Not exactly. The first of each level of limit break (Blade Beam, Meteorain) are dependant on killing enemies. you need to kill 80 to open up the next level, and then do the side mission or whatever for the lvl4 version.

But the second limit break in each of the 3 first levels is purely down to using the first limit in that level 8 times. So yep, that you'd unlock in no time

But the second limit break in each of the 3 first levels is purely down to using the first limit in that level 8 times. So yep, that you'd unlock in no time

The cheats mean you could turn off random encounters, then breeze through the game with full health & limits cheat, killing Demons Gate and Materia Keeper with no problem.

The challenge that made it compelling is now gone.

With the x3 speed and no encounters, the whole idea of a world map is redundant. Sure it would be better to just leave Midgar and immediately enter Kalm.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Is that version with the speed boost actually available for PC or was that a further addition for PS4?

keane2097 wrote: »
    Is that version with the speed boost actually available for PC or was that a further addition for PS4?

I think it was PS4 only. I remember that you could give the characters HP/MP boosts but nothing like the 3x speed of the game or the no encounters thing

• Advertisement

Also, for anyone up on their code, the AI scripts for FF7 are on their wiki page.

Here's Materia Keepers: http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Materia_Keeper_(Final_Fantasy_VII)

Now you know when it might cast Trine :)

Advertisement