Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy VII Remaster/Remake

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

eeguy wrote: »
    I think it shows how often you put down FF7 that you don't even need to mention it.

It's called criticism. No game is perfect and it's important and fun to talk about what games do well and what they don't. It also takes a certain amount of maturity to accept that and just maybe join in on the discussion instead of feeling hard done by when some one criticises a game you like.

It's even worse when you bring it up even though it wasn't even mentioned in the first place.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Cormac... wrote: »
    Retro is like my canary in the mine, I know once he stops being allowed give FF7 a quick put down is the day I have to stop over-hyping how great RAGE was

I loved rage.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Kirby wrote: »
    Final fantasy fans and Liverpool fans are like pea's in a pod. "This year will be our year!". :p

That was low Kirby ;_;

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's called criticism. No game is perfect and it's important and fun to talk about what games do well and what they don't. It also takes a certain amount of maturity to accept that and just maybe join in on the discussion instead of feeling hard done by when some one criticises a game you like.

It's even worse when you bring it up even though it wasn't even mentioned in the first place.

No problem with criticism at all Retro, every game should be criticized. I'm more than happy to go over all my concerns about this remake, problems with the team and things I hope they do and do not change.

It's just... constant with you. Whenever a thread comes up and someone even mentions FF7 you leap on to it as if you've set your browser to detect any use of it on boards.ie.

I'm hardly the first to point this out. Hell, even that silly Edge 100 thread a few months back a poster commented that FF7 wasn't on the list and the whole list was trash in his opinion.
    You literally swoop in to dismiss the game, which you then claim to be a truth rather than opinion. You've done this so many times I actually cannot be bothered to go and find the other examples.

We get it. You prefer other games. So do I.

It takes a certain amount of maturity to stop trolling any thread involving FF7, dismissing the opinions of others, and simply ignore all the times people have both jokingly and seriously pointed out this fact to you.
    At the end of the day this very post could have gone into it's own thread or the JRPG's General Discussion thread instead of jamming it in here and you know it.

There, I'm done.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'll stop once those salty fanboy tears stop flowing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

So basically we now have a mod trolling a thread in his own forum. Is this considered acceptable behaviour for a mod now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

Are you kidding me?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

I don't understand how one moment you can go from making somewhat reasonable points/arguments to posting this kind of garbage honestly.

If that was anyone else on any other thread for fans of a game they'd be given a warning or carded

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

Yeah sick to death of retrospect high handed trolling. I had put him on my ignore list a while back, I guess it's time to do so again. For someone who claims to love JRPGs I find he's the perfect litmus test. If he's praising a JRP it's highly likely it's pretty average. Though he does have a very high opinion of his own opinion where JRPGs are concerned.

I vote we all put him on our ignore lists and report him for his endless trolling.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

OK folks, settle down. I think the message has been very clearly passed on to Retr0. If you see any more posts you have an issue with, from a mod or otherwise, please ensure to report it rather than drag the thread further off-topic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Ehh in lighter and happier FF news.....FFIX is coming to STEAM soon :D

http://store.steampowered.com/app/377840/

these are listed as additional features
    Additional Features
    ・Achievements
    ・Seven game boosters including high speed and no encounter modes.
    ・Autosave
    ・High-definition movies and character models.

It's also listed as 'partial controller support' ...whatever that means

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

SeantheMan wrote: »

Honestly, would have bet money on this never happening :)

But delighted to be wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

SeantheMan wrote: »

http://store.steampowered.com/app/377840/

these are listed as additional features

It's also listed as 'partial controller support' ...whatever that means

Now to wait impatiently for the PS4 version...

https://twitter.com/Diarmuid_S/status/682588117396750337

A high speed toggle will convince me to play this. The hardest thing about playing turn based RPG's these days is the painfully slow battles.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,787 ✭✭✭Evade

IX is my least favourite FF from VI to XIII-3 but I'll give it another try when it comes to PS4.

A high speed toggle will convince me to play this. The hardest thing about playing turn based RPG's these days is the painfully slow battles.

I find the FF battle systems to be the biggest culprit of this. Something like the SMT series or Etrian Odyssey is the sweet spot with scary powerful enemies you want to be taking out in a turn or two. It got worse with the 32 bit era and the added load times. FF9 is pretty bad for it because it had to load 4 characters instead of 3 from the previous 2 games. I'd like it to be improved but I doubt it, that kind of thing is hardcoded into the game and is difficult to change and there's other stuff like the music being timed to when everything is loaded and the battle starts.

At least the PC version will be in 60 Hz unlike the slow 50Hz version that Europe got shafted with.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Really looking forward to playing it myself. Never managed to finish it, so will definitely run through it at some stage (though i may use some of the boosters).

Kiith wrote: »
    Really looking forward to playing it myself. Never managed to finish it, so will definitely run through it at some stage (though i may use some of the boosters).

The game is pretty easy other than the RNG bastard of a last boss and the secret boss. Boosters probably aren't all that helpful since there's really no grinding required.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 CodeNameEagle

Yeah I think it's weird that everyone doesn't like all the same stuff, the same amount, and in the same order.

The other day I also found out that some people like more than one of the same type of thing, which blew my mind.

Well people likes justin bieber, i don't, so im asking what is so great about him that i cant figure it out on my own.

You see, the other day you found this fact about ppl. If you was making the right questions, you would have figure this out many years ago.

The game is pretty easy other than the RNG bastard of a last boss and the secret boss. Boosters probably aren't all that helpful since there's really no grinding required.

Wonder if the timer will affect the excalibur 2 item pick up? Tried to get it once but was out by about 2 hours

• Advertisement

Well people likes justin bieber, i don't, so im asking what is so great about him that i cant figure it out on my own.

You see, the other day you found this fact about ppl. If you was making the right questions, you would have figure this out many years ago.

Give the new album a listen, I am a 29 year old believer convert :pac:

RedXIV wrote: »
    Wonder if the timer will affect the excalibur 2 item pick up? Tried to get it once but was out by about 2 hours

Well what happens with PAL games is the timer runs slower as well.

Was there a problem with the PAL version where the timer was sped up but not the game making that quest way more difficult?

I have the guide for FF9 (with all the crappy playoline print outs) and did all the secrets except the Excalibur one, just didn't see the point in blasting through the game, I like to take my time!

Well what happens with PAL games is the timer runs slower as well.

Was there a problem with the PAL version where the timer was sped up but not the game making that quest way more difficult?

I have the guide for FF9 (with all the crappy playoline print outs) and did all the secrets except the Excalibur one, just didn't see the point in blasting through the game, I like to take my time!

I generally like to take my time too which makes it very hard to speed run through but I thought I'd give it a blast. But I got easily distracted :D

Not sure if there was any issues with the timers but just wondering as the FF7 speed up feature doesn't appear to speed up the internal clock? I could be wrong in this but from what i've seen, this could mean you've 3 times the time to get to excalbur if you can keep the triple speed on throughout the game. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Yeah,
    Necron
    was a filthy last boss. Blue Shockwave, Grand Cross...disgusting :eek:

(Spoilers in case some people haven't played)

You can unspoiler that because the last boss isn't really a spoiler, he appears out of no where! I think that was a throwback to old FF games as well which had some boss appear our of no where near the end :)

There is one hint of them in the library but you really have to be on the ball to find it and even still it's a totally jarring final fight!

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭gouche

FFIX is probably my favourite FF game.
    It's a much more light-hearted game than VIII was.
    Was thinking of replaying it soon - its release on Steam is a good opportunity!
    Just hope it's better than the VI port.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

gouche wrote: »
    FFIX is probably my favourite FF game.
    It's a much more light-hearted game than VIII was.
    Was thinking of replaying it soon - its release on Steam is a good opportunity!
    Just hope it's better than the VI port.

Is steam FF7 the same as the crappy original windows release with midi audio? :eek: The game has been ported that many times it's hard to keep track of what each port brings to the table other than flexibility (which I suppose is what a port is)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Ramza wrote: »
    Is steam FF7 the same as the crappy original windows release with midi audio? :eek: The game has been ported that many times it's hard to keep track of what each port brings to the table other than flexibility (which I suppose is what a port is)

The newest port is the 2013 version, it's the same port the PS4 version has now.

Ramza wrote: »

Apparently it has the PS1 music in it now. Even if it doesn't it's very easy to mod it in. Anyway it's the only way to play the fan translation of the game which makes it the best version of the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I wish they put these ports on Vita. I just finished FFIX the other week on it, the first Final Fantasy I've actually completed. (I was close to completing FFVIII until I broke the 4th disc in fairness).

If they ported FFVII to Vita I might actually complete it.

Advertisement