Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy VII Remaster/Remake

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

I decided against the Death Stranding baby in a jar edition, I can be strong against the Cloud on a motorbike edition of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Just watched the SE conference and it looks great in my opinion! This trailer was well better presented than the previous ones. It also looked better so maybe it was on better tech, the lighting especially. Only issue i have is how the game is broken into pieces, be it 2 or 3. Just means ill have to wait longer to actually buy and play the full game :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

The game wouldn't have happened at all if they didn't break it up. We're 5 years+ into dev and still a year off just the first part.

There was no way this project was ever going to happen as a single stand alone game.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

fixxxer wrote: »
    I decided against the Death Stranding baby in a jar edition, I can be strong against the Cloud on a motorbike edition of this.

We both know that's not true fixxxer :D

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

My position on the remake is they should just do it like the Rebuild of Evangelion films. Don't feel so obliged to trace the outlines of something old and instead just do something completely new with familiar characters and setting.

Now Rebuild is rubbish, but I'm just not thrilled by how much they will have to fill these games out. Yes they can flesh out the Avalanche characters and actually give them a story, but in the grand scheme of things these character moments will probably not matter that much no matter how much work they do (unless they significantly change things)

The butter-over-too-much-bread phenomenon of the hobbit trilogy comes to mind. Just cause you can pull in all this lore from Similarion doesn't stop the films from being plodding rubbish

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

My position on the remake is they should just do it like the Rebuild of Evangelion films. Don't feel so obliged to trace the outlines of something old and instead just do something completely new with familiar characters and setting.

Now Rebuild is rubbish, but I'm just not thrilled by how much they will have to fill these games out. Yes they can flesh out the Avalanche characters and actually give them a story, but in the grand scheme of things these character moments will probably not matter that much no matter how much work they do (unless they significantly change things)

The butter-over-too-much-bread phenomenon of the hobbit trilogy comes to mind. Just cause you can pull in all this lore from Similarion doesn't stop the films from being plodding rubbish

Are they going to flesh them out though? Or just make Midgar more playable.

From that trailer I haven't seen anything that we didn't see in the original, bar maybe the Aeris bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

They didn't mention anything about it being split into different part?

They snuck in a line about it being the first game in this project; right after they said it was on 2 Blu-Rays which is being sly tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Necro wrote: »

From that trailer I haven't seen anything that we didn't see in the original, bar maybe the Aeris bit.

Jessie on the motorbike with Cloud springs to mind.

Mind you when I saw that, I still had Battletoads on my mind from earlier in E3 and got hopeful for something like that hoverbike level :D

pixelburp wrote: »
    I don't mean literal block characters, but I don't find those generic anime style characters very endearing or appealing either; there are dozens, hundreds of artistic styles out there but obviously the command from on high was to make it all look like every other latterday FF game. As you say the game is beloved, but a bolder, more unique aesthetic could have been more interesting - potentially less intensive too I'd argue, instead of creating all these HD pretty boys.

I forgot what the old characters looked like. My memory had them almost as cubes. That pokemon quest comparison isn't fair at all.

I’d disagree with that. It’s a given - even a necessity - that the graphics be updated. But what I remember so potently about the original game is how vibrant, weird and varied the whole experience is. Bold cartoon characters (albeit as blocks that wouldn’t fly today) mixed with atmospheric, memorable locations. Even within Midgar the mix of places and moods was pretty great: from the serene to the slapstick. Right down to the UI, it was all full of energy and colour.

I’ve also seen Advent Children, which this game’s approach more closely resembles (so far!). That is a tedious, self-serious, hyper-real mess that boasts a very different and IMO far inferior vibe to the original game. It doubles down on the emo without bringing the fun.

I’m pretty sure nobody wanted nor expected more blocky characters. But equally, and speaking for myself, I’d love to see a more stylised, animated look that more directly channels the spirit of 1997. As said before, I’ve just never been able to properly adjust to the hyper-real approach taken by the post X FF games.

To be fair, we haven’t been given the opportunity to see beyond the opening few sequences of the game. Maybe they’ve found a way to boldly incorporate the original game’s variety - I hope so, and will naturally wait and see what the full thing has to offer :)

Well I was purely referring to the characters. Midgar reactor always drab and industrial. I think that's all we've seen so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

Necro wrote: »

They kind of have to, I think. Or maybe the game is super short.

I'm just picturing sort of a repetitive adventure right now. Like at every major plot juncture Sephiroth shows up talking ****e at Cloud and Cloud is like "fuk you Sephiroth" and it just goes on and on drawing stuff out.

Midgar is cool but it's so thin on major plot stuff. Maybe this game will just be like 10 hours long or something.

Unrelated... is the steam version of FF7 any use? I might go back and try finish it. Android version appears to be garbage.

Yes and there are some amazing mods like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

Pretty hyped for this, enjoyed FFXV combat. Didn't think it was that bad of a game only rushed at the end.

Between this and Cyberpunk 2077, busy start to 2020. Don't think that this will be released at the date specified can see it being pushed back.

Another trailer up. Tifa at last.

How many shivers can I get in one trailer??!!!!!
    Looks incredible!!!

BloodBath wrote: »
    Yes and there are some amazing mods like this.

Do you know if there is a fast forward function?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

everytime I see Aeris I want to cry. It's not normally a problem but here in work it's getting awkward.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Man, I don't even care anymore.

I am really hyped for this now. All the scares over the last few years, the lack of details about the game and combat were really putting me off.

Seeing that trailer, it looks damn good. I know many people aren't fans of the art style used, but imo it works for the game and there's no point in totally overhauling all the characters when Advent Children already set that largely in place.

My hope is that Midgar is going to be massive, with far more previously cut content available to be played.

Another vid explaining the combat system. Seems there are options for everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

One thing that has massively been hurting the franchise since FFXII (you can add KH3 in there too) has been the complete lack of world integration and gameplay. Was really hoping this would be turn based and was left unsurprised but nonetheless disappointed with the action RPG elements initially. Was a bit more encouraged by the latest trailer. Just hope it's not another soulless turd (FFXIII may be the worst game ever released) and they've learned from previous games.

On the other hand I'm absolutely hyped for the FFVIII remaster!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

No PC release date in the latest trailers, c'mon now :(

BloodBath wrote: »
    Another vid explaining the combat system. Seems there are options for everyone.

That looks class. Can't wait. I hope there is a way to automate the regular attack though. Not to keen on button bashing non stop.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Folks just be aware that there’s a high possibility this game will never be finished within our lifetimes

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1138538061686378496?s=21

Just watched the gamespot interview slot with the English speaking guy from the square enix conference. He's confirmed that the release in March will end when you leave Midgar.
    You can see the full interview here if you find the link at 2.40PM on Tuesday the 11th

Nothing else major really in it, but at least it answers that question

Edit: Did spot this also Each episode in FF7Remake will be as long as a normal FF game

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

haha i remember back in the day, when i left midgar and you can start moving around the world map and you can view the map itself and see how big the world actually is, it blew my mind at just how big the game was going to be..

Now with this one, any newcomers when they exit midgar its just gonna be "oh thats it?!" credits roll :D

And it will likely be 3-4 years for the next part :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Another 10 years before we reach Costa del Sol

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

An entire episode based around your Gold Saucer date with Aeries/Tifa/Barrett, intercut with a 30 hour long Cait Sith origin story (but only the stuffed toy, the cat gets his own two-episode arc).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

RedXIV wrote: »
    Just watched the gamespot interview slot with the English speaking guy from the square enix conference. He's confirmed that the release in March will end when you leave Midgar.
    You can see the full interview here if you find the link at 2.40PM on Tuesday the 11th

Nothing else major really in it, but at least it answers that question

Edit: Did spot this also Each episode in FF7Remake will be as long as a normal FF game

So just after the bike chase?

• Advertisement

So just after the bike chase?

He did say that things will be expanded on massively so it's possible the bike chase is no longer the last thing. But the entirety of the game coming in March is Midgar based, seen it confirmed a few places now

Advertisement